costco gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I have been using for the last several years is a duster to get loose dust off the dash and console and a damp microfiber rag for cleaning. The same rag can be used to clean spots from upholstery and floor mats/carpet.

Others may still use protectant, but I don't really like it on interior surfaces and my car is indoors almost all the time. (garage at home, parking garage at work) Dashboards are not made the way they used to be. I suppose they could fade and crack, but it's not like the 70's/80's/early 90's. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Oh certainly, there are accidents that do happen. We had diesel supply problems a few years back thanks to some catastrophic equipment failures at the refinery. Besides, there are plenty of parts of this province that very likely get served by Alberta, at least on occasion.

This image is from 2007, showing the location of Canadian refineries, from Government of Canada figures. The picture doesn't seem to show asphalt refineries, nor does it show heavy oil upgraders.

Here's California, along with fuel depot locations:

refinery_locations.jpg

It's a bit hard to read as it's been downsized, but the PDF is big enough to read:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/maps/powerplants/refinery_locations.pdf

I actually haven't seen this one before. There are actually four terminals in Richmond, California. Chevron also has one in Martinez, California, which ironically has two refineries that aren't Chevron. The refineries near Bakersfield don't have any fuel terminals nearby.

At least in California, the refineries tend to be located where they can get ready access to crude oil. Most of California's crude is pumped near Bakersfield, and there are a couple of refineries near the offshore oil wells. The ones in Southern California tend to be clustered near Long Beach and Los Angeles where oil tankers offload their fuel. Around the Bay Area, there's a dock in Richmond and I think one in Suisun Bay near Martinez.

At least with the concentration of refineries in California at certain areas, it's likely that the pipeline operators just ship the fuel wherever a customer needs it. Pipeline logistics has got to be fun.

The Costco gas stations near me have their Premium 93 octane gas about the same price as Shell's regular 87, sometimes the SAME price.
crazy2.gif

so can you clean your dashboard with windex, is that safe or will that scratch it up? I want to clean the rogue dashboard for the first time (mostly dust) but I don't want to scratch the dashboard. on the other hand, my camry's dashboard is already thoroughly scratched up and i don't want the rogue one to end up like that/repeat my mistakes, so how can I do it?

also, is sam's club gas bad? and for lawn mowers can any sae 30 work, walmart sells large jugs of it, or do you need lawn mower oil which walmart also sells but in 64 fl ounce form in the lawn and garden section and which brands of lawn mower oil are the best or is sae 30 super tech good enough for a toro lawn mover?

Originally Posted By: engineer20
i heard costco depends on the bidder and it varies by location but the pump adversises that it's 5x the federal minimum regardless of where it's getting the gas from but that it's cocono phillips oil.

Just as clarification, Costco doesn't make any blanket claims as to where they obtain their fuel. They claim that they buy their fuel directly from major refiners as well as distributors (likely futures or spot market). Even so, the way that fuel deliveries go is really convoluted. There's almost going to be no guarantees that the seller of the fuel has to be the refiner. They have contracts, and if it costs less to meet those contracts with fuel produced by another refiner, neither side really cares. They could also buy from a specific refiner, but the delivery happens elsewhere (via exchange mechanisms) with commodity fuel that can't be identified by refiner.

Costco itself claims to use its own proprietary additive that's added when the tanker truck delivers fuel at the gas station. They likely have fuel from the depot without detergent additive. Even if they're buying from a known refiner, it's not going to contain that company's proprietary additives.

Quote:
http://www.costco.com/gasoline-q-and-a.html

Q: Where does Costco get its gasoline?
A: Costco buys fuel from major refineries and distributors in each area. All Kirkland Signature™ Gasoline is fully guaranteed, just like the merchandise we sell inside the warehouse.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
76 is blended by conocophillips. 76 was Chevron many moons ago.

ConocoPhillips is gone as a refiner. They spun off all the "downstream" businesses (refining and marketing) as Phillips 66. ConocoPhillips is now mostly an oil exploration company.

76 was also never quite part of Chevron. It was originally Union Oil of California. They used to market as Union 76 and UNOCAL 76 before UNOCAL sold off much of its oil exploration and refining operations to Tosco. Tosco merged with Phillips, then Phillips merged with Conoco. Then the combined company spun off into Phillips 66 (mentioned earlier). Chevron did essentially buy out UNOCAL, but that was after they had sold their retail marketing operations using the 76 brand name. Apparently UNOCAL did use the 76 name up to the point where they were bought out by Chevron, but not for any retail stuff like gas stations or refining. I remember at the time, UNOCAL was primarily a natural gas exploration company, and the sale of the company to the Chinese oil company CNOOC was controversial and then withdrawn under questions of national security.

On an unrelated note, do you guys buy oil analysis kits in bulk or individually and is ot better to buy them in bulk and is the goodyear integrity being discontinued soon?

Originally Posted By: Garak
No idea about the tire, but check with Blackstone. They offer prepaid kits with a discount if you buy a certain amount, something like a half dozen.

I remember getting their kits for free, but I had to include a check when I sent in the sample. I haven't have a UOA done a while, but I think I still have maybe two of the kits somewhere.

On an unrelated note, do you guys buy oil analysis kits in bulk or individually and is ot better to buy them in bulk and is the goodyear integrity being discontinued soon?

Go to your local Cat dealer and get their kits. You get critical measurements like Oxidation, Nitration, sulfation along with TBN and TAN. You can't get all that many other places, especially for $15 and pre-paid shipping.

How is crc emissions guaranteed to pass? It's usually expensive but it was on clearance at Walmart last night so I bought everything that was left (7 of them)

Just use it like tech ton but does it really reduce emissions ? Is it better than tech ton?

How is crc emissions guaranteed to pass? It's usually expensive but it was on clearance at Walmart last night so I bought everything that was left (7 of them)

Just use it like tech ton but does it really reduce emissions ? Is it better than tech ton?

It is a good product. It advertises being able to treat emission items such as the catalytic converters which I haven't seen any other product claim.

I have a Costco membership, and I love that they sell premium at almost the same price as other station's regular.

..but I have only filled up there like 3 times. I just don't have the patience to deal with the insane lines...there is one in our city (Ottawa), and it is lined up, down the street (probably 10-15 cars per pump) from the second it opens, until right when it closes.

I'm not exaggerating - I don't know how any station near it stays in business, b/c it is NEVER not lined up. Takes 20-30 minutes to get gas, and it never ends...I just can't do it!

I save $10 per tank buying premium at Costco for my Corvette, and the last time I filled up it only took 5 minutes (at 11am on Sunday, their busy time) The longest I waited was 20min once, but to save $10 it's worth it.

I have gone there early in the morning just an hour or two after they open and there is no lineup at all.

I pass right by the one here. Signs on the pumps say they open at 6:00am M-F. Regular was 2.39, compared to 2.61 for the Exxon across the street. If I could save 3.00 per tank (.20 x 15 gal.) every two weeks for a year, it would more than pay for the $50 (?) membership.

Costco in my area isn't busy around 30 minute to 1 hour before closing. Their price is usually 15-30 cents cheaper than any station within 3-5 miles. Their gas is always fresh because of high turn over and their gas are top tier to boost.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I pass right by the one here. Signs on the pumps say they open at 6:00am M-F. Regular was 2.39, compared to 2.61 for the Exxon across the street. If I could save 3.00 per tank (.20 x 15 gal.) every two weeks for a year, it would more than pay for the $50 (?) membership.

yes. That's only the beginning for you. Savings in store will return your membership fee easily. 0600 fill ups definitely cut down on the lines, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back