Purposely start the motor without oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my late Brother-In-Law, but I must admit he used to do something that I thought was just...plain...dumb! When he changed his oil, he'd drain the oil from the vehicle in his garage, replace the drain plug and install a new oil filter. He'd then knowingly start the motor without oil, back down his van from the ramps and pull the vehicle out of the garage. He'd then turn off the motor immediately and refill it with new oil.

Even as a kid, I thought that was just NUTS to start a motor without oil and "drive" it for, what - maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute, as you back out of your garage. I remember asking him, "Hey Bob, isn't that awfully hard on the motor?" and he replied, "I think there's enough of an oil film on the parts that's it's O.K. to run for a few seconds while I back out of the garage..."

Since he's no longer with us, so I can't ask him, but I'm guessing he didn't fill the van (one of the old Ford Chateau types with the 460) with oil when it was on ramps in the garage because it was too high (without a step-stool) to conveniently reach?

Am I wrong or is that just brutal on a motor to do that oil change technique!!!???

smile.gif

Ed

Well, did any of his engines die prematurely as a result of him doing this? If no, then there is your answer.
smile.gif

Personally, I wouldn't do it. And you will not find any service literature advising something like this either.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Well, did any of his engines die prematurely as a result of him doing this? If no, then there is your answer.
smile.gif

Personally, I wouldn't do it. And you will not find any service literature advising something like this either.

I don't know that his motors prematurely died, but I *do* remember the van starting to to burn oil to the point that he and my Sister donated the van to my Nephew's high school auto shop because of that...so maybe there's my answer?

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
smile.gif

I don't know that his motors prematurely died, but I *do* remember the van starting to to burn oil to the point that he and my Sister donated the van to my Nephew's high school auto shop because of that...so maybe there's my answer?

smile.gif

Ed

Bingo

Last edited:
I've read claims that using MoS2 in your oil can allow you to run an engine "dry" for at least a few minutes...but, I'm guessing that the dearly departed BIL was not doing that!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
No disrespect intended, but that's a pretty stupid thing to do.

Thank you - none taken.

smile.gif

It always struck me as surprising behavior from a guy who was very smart, methodical, etc., etc.

Ed

One kid used to change his oil while the engine was running (removing drain plug while running).Claimed it got more oil out of the engine...yea,right.Same kid waxed his car everyday,and did burnouts with the parking brake set wearing thru the front tires in a matter of weeks.1987 Cavalier Z24.Had to have car repainted and tranny rebuilt....eventually he blew it up totally.

Who in their right mind would start any engine up without oil? I've seen that sort of idiocy several times in my lifetime. I'll never forget the "mechanic" that worked at the power generation facility where I also worked. His Chrysler product came with an alternator and he replaced same with a generator. He didn't like the looks of an alternator, didn't know how they worked and didn't want to find out. How idiotic is that? Here's something I think many members have experienced in their life. One very cold December coming up on the holidays, I made my evening rounds of checking several city properties. Entering the basement boiler room of city hall, I heard a high pitched whine coming from the oil fired boiler. Blower bearing failing. Told supervisor about the problem with the Kewanee at city hall. Looked at me like I didn't know squat about anything. After all ,my job was mowing grass and unloading #6 oil. He sent mechanic mentioned above down to check it out. We have a blower motor bearing going out and it's supposed to be below 0 over holidays. Removed blower, got a bearing house to open up. Installed bearing. Of course the city manager and mayor got wind of repair and supervisor and mechanic became minor celebrities. Saved city hall from major catastrophe. I suppose they got a bonus. No mention of me and my part in this little tale.I'm still applying soothing ointment to my sit down.

Example:
1zz-fe engine, drains 3.8-3.9 quartz when drain plug is open, then upon complete engine unit dis-assembly there would be another 0.4-0.5 quartz of oil in there...most of that oil would be in the crankshaft.

So it's not a complete dry start per say, but In my opinion its not doing the engine any good either, very incompetent of that person to do this.

Source: (31) 1zz-fe, (2) 2zz-ge, (1) 2az-fe engine rebuilds.

If it didn't get hot parts from friction, there's not much wear, just minor for the hitting, eventually. I believe the film would protect for those 20-40 seconds at very light loads. But I also wouldn't do it to mine. Why take chances?

hey we aren't in his situation, so you are all too quick to judge.

I'm sure he's not a complete idiot, cause he is changing his oil and has ramps.

I give him the benefit of the doubt that there was is a good reason for him to do this out of order for his specific car, and not just a few seconds of savings but minutes of savings.
Because it's more work to close the hood, back it off the ramps, and then open the hood again to pour in the oil.

Maybe it's not possible to pour from a bottle nor a funnel into the fill tube at that angle without making a huge mess.
Maybe the guy doesn't have flexible spouted funnel and a way to hold it up.

Are you guys are all up in arms if you don't pre-fill the filter to the brim too, that's a cold start with maybe 2-3 seconds with no oil! the horror.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back