What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The head of my 10 year old string trimmer stopped turning. The engine is good, but the device is fully depreciated.

What would you do -- buy a new one, or repair it?

The gears damaged or the drive line broken? I has a 12 year old Husky drive line replaced unter its lifetime warranty. What would be the cost to repair the trimmer and how does it run?

Haven't cracked it open yet. Broke last week when I was bumping the head to release the string.

Obligatory:
Screen-Shot-2014-05-22-at-5.04.40-PM.jpg

And yes we do need more information about exactly what make model number that went bad and how much it costs to buy a new one. That and I am not completely sure exactly what is wrong.

Just throw it out and buy an electric one.

The new ones are inexpensive, but what to buy depends on the duty cycle. Do you use it more than maybe 20 hours a year? A commercial duty unit will last and probably be repairable down the road.

I hate counseling people to spend money, so check out the repair cost first. But a consumer-grade unit is what ... $60? Commercial maybe $150?

Last edited:
get a new one, but do something fun with the old one. Use Wesson for the two-stroke mix and see how long it last at half throttle.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Just throw it out and buy an electric one.

It hasn't been mentioned yet how large of a yard the OP has. Just last night, about 8 guys, myself included, had to weed-wack a large cemetery. One of the guys showed up with a a battery-powered string trimmer and five batteries. He retired early because he ran out of power. There also isn't an electrical outlet within 100 yards of this place.
They are okay, but they have their limitations.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
What would you do?

Probably include more information in my post if I were asking the same question. Things like brand, cost to repair, etc.

First I would check the problem and then find the cost of the replacement part. Replacement parts are pretty cheap on Ebay. You might have to do a little work for a part number on Parts Tree. I have had the same Craftsman Weed eater for 21 years and I ve replaced the bump head (just the bottom piece) twice. They are plastic and they bust after repeated bumping, but they only cost $5-6 bucks. I replaced the main shaft last year for $22.00, now that might be crazy on a 21 year old Craftsman , but at this point, I want to see how long this thing is going to run. It still runs super strong, besides air filter, gas lines and filter. Its bone stock. Don't listen to those Echo- Stihl heads. Buy the best you can afford and take care of it and you will be surprised how long it lasts. A lot of cheap weed trimmers get bad raps, but its the idiots that buy them. Most times a guy that buys a Homelite at Walmart for $69 isn't going to maintain and pamper it like the guy that pays $200 for a Echo at Home Depot and surprise, it doesn't last. When or If this Craftsman ever dies, before me. Ill buy another $69 one and run it the same. That guy that said buy a electric one, just tear up your man card now. You belong in the kitchen with the other electrical appliances.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I have had the same Craftsman Weed eater for 21 years and I ve replaced the bump head (just the bottom piece) twice. They are plastic and they bust after repeated bumping, but they only cost $5-6 bucks. I replaced the main shaft last year for $22.00,.

$36 repair costs over 21 years...? Hard to make an argument against that kind of performance IMO

The replacement cost was $42 plus tax and shipping. I bought a professional grade, straight shaft and no bump head, and larger engine.

I like the idea of putting the old engine on a bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back