Cooper C-5 Grand Touring or Pirelli P4 plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I can get either of these at a great price with the current promos.

Which would you choose? They are for a 2008 Elantra in 195/65/15

Can't go wrong with either, the Pirelli is rated 90k vs 80k on the Cooper which gives it an edge since they are similar rated otherwise. I read a review on the Pirelli where someone said they got 108k miles out of a set, very impressive.

I'd probably go with whichever is the better deal, if price was the same the P4 Plus wins on paper.

For me it's a tougher call because I've had "similar" tires.
I've owned a set of Pirelli P64S in 205*55*16
" " " " " Cooper CS4 in 196*65*15

Loved them both. Perhaps the cheaper one?
I guess I'd give a look at reviews on Tirerack. Where else? Kira

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Pirellis are Chinese
The Pirelli's are NOT Chinese, they are made in Brazil.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Pirellis are Chinese

you are both correct. kinda.
The p4's are made in Brazil, Pirelli was just sold to a Chinese investment firm.

but, as a former owner of a set of p4's(185/60-15), they were awesome on my Neon. never met a road,wet/dry/snowy they couldn't handle like champs.
one of the reviews I read before buying was from a guy in Mi, also with a neon, felt they handled the snows up there well enough, he never felt the need to switch out to snow tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Most sizes of the P4 are indeed made in China. Maybe not the OP's 195/65-15, but most of them are.

It depends on whether you're talking about the standard P4 or the P4 Plus. The standard is made in China and Brazil and the P4 Plus is made in different countries including Mexico. The P4 Plus in the OP's 195/65-15 size is made in Brazil.

15d8cxs.png

It was the Walmart mobile site

I don't care where the p4's are made. I had 110k on a set on a Forester when I got rid of it. And I wasn't shopping for tires any time soon. Performance was great too. Don't get hung up on where they were made.

Tire Rack says the P4 Plus are mostly made in China, Brazil or Mexico. No sizes are listed as made in the USA.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P4+Four+Seasons+Plus

I wouldn't put any faith in that Walmart link. I was just looking on their site. There are tires that it says are made in the USA from companies that don't even have a US factory, like Nexen.

Plus, lots of others say "USA and imported" or "USA and/or imported." There's clearly not a lot of research put into that information.

You guys are too caught up in the minutia of where the tire is manufactured. iPhones are made in China. How many of you have those? Are they bad?
V

Originally Posted By: bvance554
You guys are too caught up in the minutia of where the tire is manufactured. iPhones are made in China. How many of you have those? Are they bad?
V

Well how many good tires do you know that are made in China....?

IPhones are actually sourced from many different countries and finally assembly only occurs in Taiwan last I checked at Foxconn.

Anyways, I only use android, and my note 4 is assembled in Vietnam.

I'd go with the Cooper Grand Touring. Give some love to the made in USA tire company?
21.gif

I'd probably be getting the Grand Touring if available in OE tire size for my vehicle. I'm "settling" for the Ultras but will no doubt enjoy some of the difference as its more sporty yet rated 20k less miles. I just don't like the idea of changing tire sizes.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: bvance554
V

Well how many good tires do you know that are made in China....?

IPhones are actually sourced from many different countries and finally assembly only occurs in Taiwan last I checked at Foxconn.

Anyways, I only use android, and my note 4 is assembled in Vietnam.

If you go on different sites like Tire Rack etc. they list the origins of the P4 and P4 Plus as not being from the U.S. This makes sense because Pirelli doesn't make very many tires in the U.S. Whether the WalMart versions are made in the U.S. or not I couldn't tell you.

I will say that there are some good Chinese-made tires. If they're made by a major manufacturer then I'm increasingly indifferent to where they're made. I've had a set of Chinese-made Hankooks that were excellent tires...and were rated and reviewed as being very good. IMO, it's getting harder to make a blanket statement about "Chinese tires" because it's really about the tire and not about where they're made. You'll get cheap Chinese [censored] brands and you'll also get some very good tires that might be made in a major manufacturers plant there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back