What use for 2-stroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last spring when we owned a 2-stroke outboard motor boat my spouse ran out and boaugh 2 gallons of 2 stroke motor oil. We got rid of the boat and now I and about 1.5 gallons of the oil left over. It would last a lifetime at my usage rate. Is there anything I can use it for?

Then take a look at the fuel additives section on this forum.

I, like some other members, use TC-W3 as an additive to each fill-up with gasoline at the pump. We use this oil as an upper cylinder lube to combat the harmful effects of ethanol in the gasoline. I use about 1 ounce per 5 gallons of gasoline at each fill up of 15 gallons of fuel.

Originally Posted By: mongo161

I, like some other members, use TC-W3 as an additive to each fill-up with gasoline at the pump. We use this oil as an upper cylinder lube to combat the harmful effects of ethanol in the gasoline. I use about 1 ounce per 5 gallons of gasoline at each fill up of 15 gallons of fuel.

I would consider that. What are the negatives of this? Does it really do any good? I am skeptical as I never hear of ethanol damaging the upper cylinders of a car. Any other ideas on what to use it for?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: mongo161

I would consider that. What are the negatives of this? Does it really do any good? I am skeptical as I never hear of ethanol damaging the upper cylinders of a car. Any other ideas on what to use it for?

I'd consider that very wise skepticism. Modern cars aren't made to run with anything but fuel in the fuel system. I'd give the 2-stroke oil away to someone who has a boat or lawn service business with a bunch of weed whackers and blowers.

yes i was going to suggest use in weed eater or other 2 cycle engines, put an ad up in your yard, i bet your neighbors would snatch it up.

or if you have a garage sale, it should sell fast.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
yes i was going to suggest use in weed eater or other 2 cycle engines, put an ad up in your yard, i bet your neighbors would snatch it up.

its the wrong type of 2 cycle oil for 2-stroke OPE.

For that you want api TC or JASO FC/FD

Unless you hate your line trimmer, chainsaw, or snowblower and want new ones.. then by all means
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad

its the wrong type of 2 cycle oil for 2-stroke OPE.

For that you want api TC or JASO FC/FD

Unless you hate your line trimmer, chainsaw, or snowblower and want new ones.. then by all means
smile.gif

Where is your proof of this?

I have a 15 year old weedeater featherlite (cheap) Poulan chainsaw (cheap) and Chinese 1000 watt generator that all use the two stroke oil the OP is talking about. Just fired up the generator and chainsaw after sitting for 5 years with the old gas left in them and they start and run great. featherlite gets used weekly for an hour or so 7-8 months out of the year and hasn't failed to start one time. So show me proof of your statement please.

You live in MN and don't own a snowmobile? You must be the only one in the state!

Surely you know someone who has an older sled that they don't care about using that 2-stroke oil in.

I have been adding it to the fuel in an SL2 since Fall 2012. Been through 2 emission tests since then with stellar results. It is doing some good I think. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back