Chevy Express 3500 Church Van Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gebo
The staff cannot believe how much better the van rides and handles. Just finished a 300 mile trip and my Youth Pastor said he can't believe how more solid it felt, less roll and he felt they gripped a lot better in the downpour they went through. I am gonna spray some 303 on them every now and then.

Funny, my techs often say the same thing when we change out the OEM tires on our GM 3500 service vans. Those tires could save someone's life in a serious situation.

Not a fan of tire juices, be cautious what you spray them with IMO...

So many bad crashes with church vans. Know what to do in the event of a front tire blowout. Regardless of vehicle, the procedure is the same.

Blowout Control

I bought 275/65/20 Michelin AT's from Costco 2 years ago.
(2011 2500 GMC stock 20x8.5 wheels.)
With those tires came an owners manual that explains
Capriracer's post.

After learning about how a tire ages without use, I got
rid of at least 50 tires that I had been saving that were
15-20 years old.

This one has me scratching my head in wonder.

A tire made by a subsidiary of Michelin (namely BF Goodrich) suffers premature failure, and strands a vanload of precious cargo along the side of the road.

After only a few years in service, the tire not only fails, but the sidewall on it looks like complete garbage.

Then Michelin is later rewarded... by getting a second set of their tires installed on the same van.

Wow. Good luck with that. I don't tend to reward failure in that way... but maybe that's just me.

Oh, you mean like:

Volkswagen owns: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche
or
Fiat owns: Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Ram
or
BMW owns: Mini and Rolls Royce

I'm not gonna explain the logic
crazy.gif

Yeah, maybe it's just you...
smile.gif
probably not, but just "maybe"

mrsilv04, we don't expect you to understand how everyone else is having a great experience with these tires, since you didn't. If you want to understand more, read CapriRacer's post on little used tires above (applies to any brand).

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
This one has me scratching my head in wonder.

A tire made by a subsidiary of Michelin (namely BF Goodrich) suffers premature failure, and strands a vanload of precious cargo along the side of the road.

After only a few years in service, the tire not only fails, but the sidewall on it looks like complete garbage.

Then Michelin is later rewarded... by getting a second set of their tires installed on the same van.

Wow. Good luck with that. I don't tend to reward failure in that way... but maybe that's just me.

Michelin cultists are as strident as Apple cultists.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
So many bad crashes with church vans. Know what to do in the event of a front tire blowout. Regardless of vehicle, the procedure is the same.

Blowout Control

Worth repeating. Too many unskilled drivers hauling precious cargo...........

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Michelin cultists are as strident as Apple cultists.

Funny I was just thinking that about the anti-Michelin cultists on this board. They just can't bear that someone, somewhere is getting good value out of a set of Michelins (speaking as someone getting good value out of a set of Michelins on only one of his several cars).

I'm sorry, I was not addressing you. I suggest reading my last post carefully, paying close attention to the poster I was quoting.

Originally Posted By: Gebo

Looking at the cracked pattern that continues away from the bubble I'd say the tire had been curbed fairly badly at some point. Our church vehicles also spend a lot of time sitting and we've found that the sun weakens them terribly even after a short time. Add the 2 together and separated belts make sense.

I'm not a Michelin guy. I don't buy any michelin tires at all really, but those LTX MS/2 tires are the only LT tire I will use. They're a world ahead of everyone else. Accelerating or braking, second to none.

I've steadily been eliminating all of the other tires from our fleet. I and all of my drivers agree. I haven't performed a single tire fire haul of any size boat, at even the most algae soften, steepest raked ramps since I got them on my trucks. And these are ramps so bad that you literally cannot step on them without bracing yourself.

Dry traction is ridiculous. Comfort is amazing. I've hit the fuel cut (115 mph......on a closed road of course) a few times because these tires give no indicator of speed. No vibes, noise, loose feeling, nothing.

Kind of makes me want to see what else they can do with the other classes of tires.

Tire covers are less than $40 on Amazon. The 08 Firestone Transforce's on the RV look good with no cracking or UV damage, which amazing since they weren't maintained at all before we bought it a couple years ago. Pretty sure we'll get the full 10 years out of them. Don't even clip the covers on anymore and they don't go anywhere with the wind only takes a couple minutes. Even my wife and boys can put them on.. if a person can't they shouldn't be responsible for a van load of persons in the first place. Seems like a waste to replace tires with good tread. Tire damage another story!

I like the Firestone Destination LE's. I ran a set on my last truck after my Michelin's wore out and found they gave me 9/10's of the performance at 1/3 less of the price.

For my truck on Tirerack they are neck and neck in reviews, the Michelin's are slightly ahead.

My Michelins also cracked a lot for only 4 year old tires.

When the Goodyears wear out on the new truck Destination LE's will be going on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back