5.3 Chevy cam sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's Tahoe has been acting up for about a week. Finally threw a code today for the cam sensor. Our labor guide at work shows 6 minutes to change it. I can't find it. A search shows it behind the intake manifold.

Do I really have to pull the intake off to change the cam sensor?

It's a pain on my car since it's in the same place on the engine as your truck (both LS based engines), but the back almost half of my engine is set back UNDER the cowl, so unless someone has 'baby hands' they MUST remove the intake to get to it.

I would think that the trucks would have enough room to be able to reach back there and change the CPS without removing the whole intake/emissions/injection systems like on my f body??

All Data says .4 hours for an '03 Denali (w/ 6.0).

Step 1 is remove intake manifold. All Data says 2.4 to R&R the intake. You can probably save some time there since you're not swapping in a new manifold, but just trying to get it out of the way to access the camshaft sensor. ie, may not have to disconnect everything...

^^^Yes, he CAN leave the fuel rails/injectors intact, and in place, and just disconnect the injector electrical connectors, the fuel line into the fuel rail, the MAP sensor electical connector, any EVAP/PCV, etc. connections at the front and side of the manifold/TB, and whatever vacuum and emissions tubing connectors the Tahoe has at the back of the manifold.

I WOULD get new intake manifold gaskets (there are 8 individual EPDM type material rectangular 'gaskets') and install them while the manifold is off, even though many say they can be reused.

But why not, since they are not too terribly expensive, and it is good preventative maintenance while one is doing all of that work anyway?

I also would clean out the intake and throttle body while it is off of the truck as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back