Picked up a 2015 Silverado with the Ecotec V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. I wish I had not bought mine; only way I could justify it was when it was a CPO with a third of msrp off. Granted, it was a third used up, so no value proposition: but with my planned low annual miles that was ok.

It looks like GM kept the good attributes of the latest gen 4.3L. Which AT is used in these trucks?

"The fifth generation of the iconic GM small block engine family features the same cam-in-block architecture and 4.400-inch bore centers (the distance between the centers of each cylinder) that were born with the original small block in 1955.

Dubbed EcoTec3 in the new trucks - including a 4.3L V-6, 5.3L V-8 and 6.2L V-8 - the Gen-V engine family delivers greater efficiency, performance and durability, thanks to a combination of advanced technologies including direct injection, Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and dual-equal camshaft phasing (variable valve timing) that support an advanced combustion system.

The 4.3L V-6 is based on the V-8 versions of the Gen-V family, but with two fewer cylinders - a design lineage that dates back to the previous 4.3L V-6, which was itself a Gen-II small block with a pair of cylinders removed."

lv3_lg.jpg

Originally Posted By: JTK
It looks like GM kept the good attributes of the latest gen 4.3L. Which AT is used in these trucks?

"The fifth generation of the iconic GM small block engine family features the same cam-in-block architecture and 4.400-inch bore centers (the distance between the centers of each cylinder) that were born with the original small block in 1955.

Dubbed EcoTec3 in the new trucks - including a 4.3L V-6, 5.3L V-8 and 6.2L V-8 - the Gen-V engine family delivers greater efficiency, performance and durability, thanks to a combination of advanced technologies including direct injection, Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and dual-equal camshaft phasing (variable valve timing) that support an advanced combustion system.

The 4.3L V-6 is based on the V-8 versions of the Gen-V family, but with two fewer cylinders - a design lineage that dates back to the previous 4.3L V-6, which was itself a Gen-II small block with a pair of cylinders removed."

lv3_lg.jpg

Why would they go back to multiple belts from the single serpentine on my 98 4.3?

Just because bore spacing is the same doesn't mean much... Are the bolts and lineups consistent with the old 4.3? Id love to drop one in my S10 and run it on E85...

True on the belts.. I didn't notice at first. That (I assume) power steering pump belt disappears behind the crank pulley.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id love to drop one in my S10 and run it on E85...
where do you plan on sourcing an EcoTec3 from? How much do YOU think they will cost? LOL

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
That sure is a nice pickup.

I also admire the generosity of folks who choose to make lease payments. Not only does it help stimulate the economy, but it helps put money in the pockets of the staff at the dealership and the lessor. There aren't a lot of folks who are that generous, knowing they can't afford it, but still choose to reach out and help others like that. Once you're done renting you'll help stimulate the secondary market by turning it in and walking away so the folks at the dealership profit once again and someone else gets a great deal on a slightly used vehicle.

Not to mention all the accolades and jealous looks from people who think you actually own it.
Well Pop, I know it is hard for you to believe, but we can't all be "six-figure income, aspiring politicians". Not everyone has the luxuries you do. I work hard for my money and am furthering my education at Ferris State as I type this. Hopefully it will pay off (doubt it) and I can someday join your ranks.

I also admire the generosity of folks who choose to make lease payments. Not only does it help stimulate the economy, but it helps put money in the pockets of the staff at the dealership and the lessor. There aren't a lot of folks who are that generous, knowing they can't afford it, but still choose to reach out and help others like that. Once you're done renting you'll help stimulate the secondary market by turning it in and walking away so the folks at the dealership profit once again and someone else gets a great deal on a slightly used vehicle.

Not to mention all the accolades and jealous looks from people who think you actually own it.

Who are you kidding your to cheap to ever buy a nice truck anyway.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: dwcopple

Basic 4-5yr/old full sized 4x4s with ~60Kmiles still sell for $25K+ in my area.

Guys I work with finance these $45K trucks for $700/mo and trade them every 2yrs.
Same here. And that is why the lease is the smarter option. 1/4 to 1/2 the payment for the same vehicle and no hit like the guys you speak of are taking.

You do realize that market depreaciation, as well as a high interest rate on the full principal is computed into the lease rate, right?

You do realize that market depreciation also happens if you pay cash or finance?

You do realize you are wrong about being charged a high interest rate. Manufacturer's love to keep the assembly line running full speed, 24/7 and offer "subvented" leases (very low/no interest) in order to keep units flying out of the showroom.

I am not saying leasing is always the best route to acquiring a vehicle, but to just throw out the standard anti-leasing statement without doing a financial analysis on each individual situation is a fairly ignorant thing to do, right?

Last edited:

Seems like you've been drinking way too much wine lately.

Originally Posted By: Uregina09
Don't worry about Pop. My guess is he's disappointed with how his life turned out - childless, boring, etc and he takes it out anonymously here like the little man he is. He can't articulate why leasing is so bad, yet he keeps repeating the same old drivel. He gets his jollies by being snarky like an immature teenager would - just ignore him.

Yep

I have yet to read anything positive from ole pop which tells me he's a,user able old man that everyone ignores around the house so he comes here to trash on people who can't pop him one in the nose.
His holier than thou act is funny. He believes his own bull

Senility

lv3_lg.jpg

It appears to have an extra "timing" chain running a balance shaft or something. I am guessing that's because it's a v6 with v8 angle?

55587131.jpg

Which AT is used in these trucks?

All 2014 1500 models used the 6L80 (6 speed). For 2015, the 4.3 V6 and 5.3 V8 use the 6L80 while the 6.2 V8 use the 8L90 (8 speed).

True on the belts.. I didn't notice at first. That (I assume) power steering pump belt disappears behind the crank pulley.

Single belt that goes to the left is for A/C and single right belt is for a vacuum pump (goes to brake booster). No hydraulic power steering pump...electric power steering standard on all models.

I have to drive the new 8spd, the 6spd is a generation behind the gear box in the Ram's. Its a shame GM is not making it standard across the entire line.

Last edited:
My buddy drove the 8 speed Ram and raved about it. If they had an offer going on the V6 8-speed Ram similar to the Chevy, I'd have gone that route for sure.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

Seems like you've been drinking way too much wine lately.

At least they wouldn't try to sell something they don't try first!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back