how much can a pt cruiser hold inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two 8 ft folding tables and 24 folding chairs and they fill up the bed of my old 95 Nissan truck. Maybe a church in her town might be willing to loan you the tables and chairs then other attendees might help with picking the chairs and tables up and it would cost you nothing. It might be worth a try.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Uhaul is out of the question. .59 cents per mile will be an easy 60 bucks.
it's been a few years since i've used them last, but for a one day "local" move, they included 50 mi. or at least they used to.

or try a regular car rental place. most have weekend deals with unlimited mileage for relatively cheap

The U-Haul motorcycle trailer rents for $15 a day. They're not just for motorcycles and have a ton of room in them with plenty of tie downs.

Ah, the PT Cruiser...I had a 2003 that I bought new and owned for 7 years. Despite their reputation I had a good one which got an honest 30 mpg on the highway (auto trans). Only problem with it was the lousy front bushings. I sold it with 105,000 miles...saw it and the owner a couple of months ago. She hasn't been so lucky...let the timing belt break (big repair), the rockers are rusting and the front suspension looks like it's nearly collapsed...all at about 150k miles. I do miss that car but wouldn't buy another one at this point.

Actually, the cheapest route would be to haul as much as possible with the PT, then turn around and get the second half.

If it's about 100 miles round trip, 2 trips would be about $20 in gas total.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
they are car plates and on a truck a cop will notice pretty quick.

I thought that might be an issue (we only have vehicle plates, no diff)

Only the chairs, right? W/O needing the tables to fit, I bet 30 would fit just fine.

Itll be just the 30 chairs. Lol im skeptical. If the pt can do it ill never say another mean thing about it. it's actually been a pretty good car its just boring to drive

The PT will hold a lot. I think you could do 30 folding chairs. Just take some rope or straps to bundle them once they're in place, you wouldn't want them sliding around.

I think if they fit sideways, you are golden without using the front seat area, 3 stacks of 10 should go in.
I would take out the front seat anyways at home and then you can fit them for sure.

Trust me on this one, you do not want to run any risk of being stopped with tags that are registered to a different vehicle. At that point, the request by the LEO is often to step out of the vehicle and put your hands behind you for cuffing until we figure this out, usually back at the station.

I'd take the PT and tetris it. Do a "block" of seats on the cargo bed, then close the liftgate and shove a couple in vertically down each side by the rear side windows. Then work the rear footwell behind the drivers seat. Removing the passenger seat is a great idea.

"They" say 63- 120 cu ft of interior cargo room. Whatever isn't the driver is up for grabs, though a little visibility through the passenger front window should be retained. Apparently the rear seat comes out easy, IDK if it'll complain about the missing butt sensor for the airbags from the front passenger going gone.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Lol. Are you serious???

yes, that is why most PT's look like [censored] from Ghetto transportation mods.

I don't see a problem with the PT fitting a whole lot:

DSC_0237.JPG

9318fa4s-960.jpg

Or just put everything into the bed (bad-[censored] ElCamino treatment):
viper-powered-chrysl-1w.jpg

With the rear seat removed (5 minutes) you can stuff a lot into a PTC; I've put a haalf-sheet (4x4) of plywood in mine.

The rear hatch doesn't open enough to equal the height of the cargo area but if you are a skilled packer I think you just might be OK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Trust me on this one, you do not want to run any risk of being stopped with tags that are registered to a different vehicle. At that point, the request by the LEO is often to step out of the vehicle and put your hands behind you for cuffing until we figure this out, usually back at the station.

depends on the state. here, if i sell my car, the plates stay with me, and as long as they have time left on the registration, i can put them on another vehicle to temp transport.

no one stopped me driving my neon home from Texas(bought off my brother in DFW), with the plates from my (admittedly sold) Hyundai Sonata.

when i sold the neon last jan, had I bought another car in June, I could have used the plates from the neon until i got the title (or they ran out in late Aug).

and no, i'm not speaking out my butt. i checked with the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles before Flying to TX to buy the Neon.
Sold the Sonata a week or so before the flight, mailed my plates to my brother, swapped his for mine in his driveway, drove 1100mi home. not a second look from any LEOs on the trip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
just put everything into the bed (bad-[censored] ElCamino treatment):
viper-powered-chrysl-1w.jpg

if you like that, have you seen these?
http://www.smythkitcars.com/

it's a $3,500 Kit, that Turns any 4 Door 1999.5-2004 Jetta/Golf, into a Ute.

or if you've got harder core Fab skills, for $11,900 they have a Kit to convert that same Gen Jetta/Golf into a mid-engine Sports car.

Last edited:
earlyre, I do like the classic PT Cruiser front end (hood-fenders) on an ElCamino treatment best. Seen it done with Chrysler mini-vans (ones with the roundy-nose) and it was almost OK, not great. Cruiser has the hoodlines! VW is too German austere in looks.

Any good fab shop with rivets, welding, bending, cutting sheet metal can fab it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back