Some little known bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Warstud

Who could forget that impossibly high voice?

Kira, I remember Haircut 100 being on MTV, along with the Motels, Men at Work, the Pet Shop Boys, Howard Jones, the Plimsouls, the Vapors, The Beat, and so on.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Oboy, now we're delving into Prog Rock. I've been a Crimson fan since ~1977. But Keith Emerson was never in King Crimson. It was Greg Lake that came out of KC to go to ELP. Keith Emerson came from The Nice, and Carl Palmer came out of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown. I have listened to the Giles, Giles, & Fripp album on YouTube, and it's plenty weird. If I listen to too much King Crimson, I Fripp out.

If you really want to go back, then check out the 'Five Bridges Suite' by Keith Emerson. (pre-ELP, obviously)

It was Greg Lake that came out of KC to go to ELP.

^^Yep,you are correct
11.gif
Lake was the vocalist,right? Emerson was with the band The Nice (I always seem to get them confused). I'm thinking Greg Lake was also in The Shame? I have a 45 by them called "Too Old To Go Way Little Girl"

I'm in the midst of a musical rewind myself. I saw the documentary of the band Kansas on VH1 Classics a couple of months back, and it made me want to delve into their music. So I ordered their 6 Livgren-era and the 2 Morse-era CD's from Amazon. Kansas aficionados worship Kerry Livgren's composing abilities, and pretty much look down on all other era's of Kansas. But I bought the Morse-era CD's because I'm a fan of Steve Morse all the way back to the Dixie Dregs.

And I also got nostalgic for Heart. I bought the 4 Roger Fisher-era CD's: Dreamboat Annie, Little Queen, Magazine, and Dog & Butterfly. I haven't liked any of their original music since he left. They became too pop-oriented, and Heart was more or less The Wilson Sisters and Their Band after that.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
At least I feel like these good bands are not known well HERE:

Porcupine Tree
Keanne
New Order
Crowded House
The Smiths

I keep reading that Porcupine Tree is basically modern Progressive Rock, but I haven't listened to any of their music. Too busy exploring Classic Prog.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It was Greg Lake that came out of KC to go to ELP.

^^Yep,you are correct
11.gif
Lake was the vocalist,right? Emerson was with the band The Nice (I always seem to get them confused). I'm thinking Greg Lake was also in The Shame? I have a 45 by them called "Too Old To Go Way Little Girl"

Yes, bass guitar and vocals. His vocals on "In the Court of the Crimson King" are classic.

And I also got nostalgic for Heart. I bought the 4 Roger Fisher-era CD's: Dreamboat Annie, Little Queen, Magazine, and Dog & Butterfly. I haven't liked any of their original music since he left. They became too pop-oriented, and Heart was more or less The Wilson Sisters and Their Band after that.

I love early Heart.

There was a really good female guitar/singer in the pubs here maybe 20 years ago, and she wouldn't play Barracuda until the slow dancing started, which really worked.

Other bands from "the era"

Dexy's midnight runners were number 1 for what felt like my entire year 10 (but Police managed to be there for nearly the whole time also, that's how memories work).

Oz had Midnight Oil (lead singer got into politics, and they made him the environment minister, and approving all the things he sang against...payback)

We had the Cockroaches...top ten, a great pub band, and became the Wiggles.

The Angels

Rose Tattoo (remember Tina Turner's head grunt in Mad Max 3, he was the lead singer, Angry Anderson)

Baby Animals

Noiseworks

Screaming Jets

The Choirboys...Run to Paradise is about smack (heroin)

We had another band "Spy Versus Spy", that used harmonics so nicely in an intro to the song, that it had everybody who could hold a guitar talking about tuning for them...at a time when Sydney was tearing down old areas for new development.

Uriah Heep and King Crimson are awesome!! I have an lp by Giles Giles and Fripp,Robert Fripp before King Crimson. Then of course Keith Emerson left King Crimsom to form Emerson Lake and Palmer

Greg Lake left King Crimson for Emerson Lake and Palmer.

And Easy Livin' is a rhythmical masterpiece IMO ... great bass player too.

One of my fave bands that disappeared very quickly were the Breeders, the female grunge group from the early 1990's. I think 'Last Splash is a great album.

Of course, you do disappear fast when your two main members are raging heroin addicts....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
One of my fave bands that disappeared very quickly were the Breeders, the female grunge group from the early 1990's. I think 'Last Splash is a great album.

Of course, you do disappear fast when your two main members are raging heroin addicts....

I loved that album!! love the song cannonball!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
At least I feel like these good bands are not known well HERE:

Porcupine Tree
Keanne
New Order
Crowded House
The Smiths

I keep reading that Porcupine Tree is basically modern Progressive Rock, but I haven't listened to any of their music. Too busy exploring Classic Prog.

I highly recommend these 3 PT albums if you're listening to them for the 1st time: (THEN move onto other albums)
- Lightbulb sun
- Deadwing
- In Absentia

Originally Posted By: NJC
Uriah Heep and King Crimson are awesome!! I have an lp by Giles Giles and Fripp,Robert Fripp before King Crimson. Then of course Keith Emerson left King Crimsom to form Emerson Lake and Palmer

Greg Lake left King Crimson for Emerson Lake and Palmer.

And Easy Livin' is a rhythmical masterpiece IMO ... great bass player too.

I LOVE Easy Livin and Sweet Lorraine. Two of my all time favorite songs!!

The Outfield is one of my all-time favorites, play their greatest hits (yes, they had more than just the Josie song) CD in the car all of the time.

If I ever find a karaoke night that has Your Love on the list, I will give it a try as my singing voice is a dead ringer for Tony Lewis. It was sad when the backbone of the bank, John Spinks, died a few years back of cancer.

Tagging on to "who left what to form that" (little known) group...
To: Renaissance
Who: Keith Relf, Jim McCarty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back