2015 Tacoma, 1,015 miles, Factory Fill Xfer Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new 2015 Toyota Tacoma Double-Cab V6 4WD. I always change factory fill fluids early. I thought it would be fun/interesting to perform UOAs on the factory fill, just for curiosity's sake. This sample is from the transfer case. I was curious about:

1) Whether Toyota really uses 75W-85 as factory fill. (Yep, they *do*)

2) Whether it really is worth it to change out factory fill so early. After seeing this UOA, I think it is, but you be the judge. Keep in mind there is only 1,015 miles, and 3 months since the truck was built.

What do you think?

What did you end up filling it with? The OM on my mom's 4runner says it takes a 75w gear oil.. whatever that means. I just assumed a 75w-90 (synthetic) would work.

All of your UOA's prove removing the FF early is good. Thanks for posting!

I replaced with Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90.

The manual actually calls for a 75W-85, which is the spec for most Toyota vehicles now. This is not a very common viscosity. Red Line makes a synthetic 75W-85, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it if you want to stick with manufacturer's recommendations.

Greasymechtech,

Nope. no 4x4'ing, unless you count using it to get around during the rare deep snow storm we get around here (which hasn't happened yet with this vehicle)

It takes about 10K miles for power-train gears and chains to break in.

So at about 10K miles drain and refill diff.'s, transmission fluids, t-case etc...

Often after that with synthetic fluids every 50K miles baring water contamination, over heating, extreme duty/service etc....

Toyota has not used a gear drive t-case since the 1980's and last I checked domestics stoped using them as well due to cost.

The copper is the thrust bearings/bushing wearing in. The nickle is from bearing alloys anyplace you get metal on metal sliding or rotating. Nickle alloys do well and take heat well. Toyota used a nickle alloy in their cam followers for a long time like the in the 22RE for instance.

Last edited:
My plan is to drain and refill again at 5,000 miles, at which point I will draw another sample for analysis. Then I plan to follow manufacturer's drain interval unless UOAs at that point show I can go even longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back