Thinking about an HK VP9. Which lube should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One the several auto's I own, I use a light grease on the slide rails and a touch of oil on other moving parts. Plenty to choose from at any gun store or even Walmart. The owners manual will also advise what they prefer.

I've got two H&K USP Compact pistols. I know, not precisely the same...

But I use any gun oil. I've got some Rem oil, some CLP, I'm not picky, applied IAW the manual directions - a drop on each rail, one on the barrel front, one on the lockup part of the barrel...that's it. Lightly lubricated is how H&K specifies it....

I've not tried grease on the rails.

But, I've put over 4,000 rounds through one of them, and had not one firing issue. Not one FTE, or jam. The pistol functions flawlessly - and that's the most important thing...I'm more interested in reliability than I am in longevity.

HK VP9 ? nice
cool.gif
I use SuperLube light grease on everything that slides.

Last edited:
Gun lubes are generally thought about way too much. I've seen guns run on the expensive specialty lubes out there and I've seen guns lubed with used motor oil. All functioned perfectly well for many thousands of rounds and I don't remember any one showing significantly more or less wear than the other.

More importantly is that there is lube where it should be and not where it shouldn't. Too much is just as bad as not enough and I've found some guns that prefer to run almost dry and some that like to be dripping.

H&K USP compact here also. Grease on the rails, in colder weather, has caused FTEs on mine. I now only use oil.

Since FastGame brought up SuperLube, I'll mention that their silicon oil with PTFE works well when applied in thin coats with an ear swab. It comes in a convenient applicator tube and the oil tends to stay where you apply it. Have put 3,500 rounds through the H&K and 2,500 through a 1911, have not observed any noticeable wear.

A number of guys (and gals, probably!) grease the rails of their semi-autos, but I'm not aware of any owner's manuals suggesting that -- at least not for production guns like these. Maybe some custom-tuned guns are different...

I've tried all sorts of stuff when I owned CZs. In the end, gool ol' oil seemed to do the best. And that's what I use today. In fact, THIS is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Lubricating-14-9-Precision-Bottle/dp/B0013R67A6

I'd describe it as a very heavy oil -- certainly not a grease, but also not runny like 10W-30. I enjoy the thin needle applicator bottle. I use Hoppe's Elite solvent and Hoppe's 9 Lubricating Oil and that keeps all of my firearms running well.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I usually use Slip 2000 EWL or Hoppe's Elite on most everything.

I've heard it said that you should use lube liberally on 1911s but that Glocks run better when lube is used sparingly. I generally follow that rule of thumb on my collection - but as far as HKs go, my USP doesn't seem to care what lube I use, or how much I use - it just runs and never complains - in typical HK fashion.

I have a VP9, I stopped keeping track of the round count just after I passed 5000. I haven't had a single failure or stoppage, I'll run it at informal USPSA matches and also just as a fun range gun.

This gun is a honey badger. I've used TW25b grease, G96 Synthetic CLP, and even some UltraLube Multipurpose Lithium grease on it. It just doesn't care, it keeps running. I can't tell a difference in the wear using grease vs oil. However, none of my HKs show much wear anyway, so they aren't good candidates for judging the effectiveness of a lubricant. Overall cleanup did seem easier when I used the G96 Synthetic CLP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back