1980's Watts, California Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it fascinating the economic and social 'destruction' that occurred in a lot of the US in the 1970's through the 1990's.

Almost every part of the US was hit somewhere by it - the economic stagnation of the 1970's era, white flight to the suburbs, and the the crack epedemic of the 1980's made a lot of inner cities basically war zones...

Arguably one of the worst was in LA...the low-income areas of Watts and Compton are famous for being hellishly dangerous, and it is out of this we got violent 'gangsta rap'...remember NWA - 'Straight Outta Compton'...?

Anyway, check out this vid on Youtube, which I think captures the 'atmosphere' of this era perfectly...helped by some atmospheric music...watch it closely...you can almost feel the still-warm evening air...and the stares from all the people as the cops drive by...it's a really cool 'trip back' to that time!

Anyone live in this area at this time? Man, it was rough!

Last edited by a moderator:
They didn't go back far enough. The Watts riots of 1965 practically burned the place down.

Well, for those who like old GM cars, check all the Caddilac Sedan DeVilles in it as they go along...talk about a pimp mobile!

Oh back off...there is no judgement here, I do find it interesting.

No, I've never experienced this kind of poverty..fine. But when I was growing up in the late 1980's and early 1990's, this kind of stuff is what we were taught about, and what was all over the news...the crack epidemic, the LA riots, gangsta rap...

Youtube these days just lets you go back to it in a way you couldn't before.

For what it's worth, one of the sad things is that, in a way, nothing has changed...black poverty and the resulting violence are still all over the news...this is like a history lesson for the way things are now.

Your country is the one that has never learned from it's past...the rest of us are just watching.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Your country is the one that has never learned from it's past...the rest of us are just watching.

That's nice. Generations of poor folks that have no incentive to work. There is no easy solution. We can't just ship em back to where they came from you know.

Rk

No, I've never experienced this kind of poverty..fine. But when I was growing up in the late 1980's and early 1990's, this kind of stuff is what we were taught about, and what was all over the news...the crack epidemic, the LA riots, gangsta rap...

For what it's worth, one of the sad things is that, in a way, nothing has changed...black poverty and the resulting violence are still all over the news...this is like a history lesson for the way things are now.

You're not judging? That post is full of from the outside looking into the fishbowl judgement. Our past? Don't let the media brainwash you. They have a clear agenda. America has its problems the same as any other country. Last time I was in Toronto I couldn't wait to get the heck out. How diverse is Canada? Not very much because the rest of the world's population doesn't seek out the Canadian dream. God Bless America.

You are right....no one is perfect....

Look, I just wanted to post an interesting 'back in time' video, not get into the whole debate about it, okay? Then it becomes RSP, and the thread is gone....

If you lived or grew up in Compton it would be ok. If you just wanted to post an interesting video you coukd have said 'hey look at this cool video I just found' but you didn't do that. You had lots to say.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
If you lived or grew up in Compton it would be ok. If you just wanted to post an interesting video you coukd have said 'hey look at this cool video I just found' but you didn't do that. You had lots to say.

This.

Get out of the car with that camcorder, Kubrick.

I don't get it.
Seriously, that video just looks like any inner city. That would be just a so-so neighborhood here in Detroit or probably any major US city. I have seen far ,far worse areas that literally look like a war zone with burned out buildings and gang graffiti.

I'm up for returning all US owned plants in Canada to US soil...."to help with the poverty".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back