Subaru - why all the good press?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the jd powers people rate them poorly as a new car, and so does consumer reports (in the readers survey for older in use cars).
something must be bad about them- what are their failure or problem areas?

Subaru was perfectly suited to ride the wave of foul-weather, pavement-capable AWD crossovers and small SUVs. They're a niche company that happened to compete in a niche that became very popular.

Of course, they do make a competent vehicle. The Forester isn't the best CUV, the Legacy isn't the best midsize sedan, and the Impreza isn't the best compact. But... if you are looking in any of those categories and AWD is on your must have list, Subaru is almost a default choice.

Why doesn't CR like them and why poor JDP long term reliability: The EJ-series engines have a healthy appetite for head gaskets.

Consumer Reports doesn't like a lot of items people buy. As far as Subaru-they are setting so many of their own many sales records I have lost count.

http://media.subaru.com/newsroom.do;jsessionid=987848315BBE97B23D252AF82A2CA6DD?&id=8&allImage=1&name=sales&mid=120

IMHO-Sales numbers speak for themselves.

Also, along with Chinese tires they like to knock Subarus here on BITOG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NateDN10
In the past they've had issues with head gaskets, catalytic converters, oil leaking and oil burning, to name a few.

Can't forget about their automatic transmissions. Arguably one of the most problem prone transmissions.

Poor gas mileage until the past few years due to mandatory AWD and big engines. 2.4L and AWD can't even get 20 mpg city on a sub-3000 lb car. Also slow because the AWD saps power. At least you can install the fuse to disable AWD (only on the automatic transmission). The AWD runs ALL the time. They should make it only 2WD by default and engage the AWD only when slip is detected.

Subaru should sell the 1.6L FWD Impreza over here, and the Legacy should be available with the Impreza's 2.0 and FWD. And bring back the Justy, too.

Also the head gasket and other issues Nate mentioned.

Most of their press is sheep who don't have a good understanding of physics. "It has symmetrical all wheel drive so I can drive 80 in a snowstorm without putting snow tires on it!"

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Most of their press is sheep who don't have a good understanding of physics. "It has symmetrical all wheel drive so I can drive 80 in a snowstorm without putting snow tires on it!"

LOL true, and then reality kicks in: oh I need to stop too
smile.gif

I owned a WRX I bought new and sold with 136K on it. The only problem I had with the car was the clutch slave cylinder going out. Ordered an OEM rebuild kit at the dealer for for $20 (spring, O ring and rubber boot) and fixed it.
I have a copy of the 2015 CU annual auto issue It recommends the Impreza, Forester, Legacy, Outback and XV Crosstek. It doesn't give a check mark for the BRZ and WRX/STi. Some of you people rate new cars by looking waaaaaay in the past.

I think Consumer Reports gave high ratings to the 2015 Subaru Forester. But their testing of new cars and the frequency of repair section are two different sections using data from different sources.

My 2015 Forester is just an easy car to drive, has all the bells and whistles I need (and a sunroof for my wife) and was a reasonable price.

Reality is for $23k you can get a Subaru Outback/Forester that has top tier AWD (not part time garbage like rest makers), offers decent MPG and decent car. My parents buy one every 10-15 years and have little issues. They went from 1990 Legacy>2000 Forester>2015 Outback. The Legacy still runs and is on Nantucket at family house, the 2000 Forester is a daily driver. And a base model Outback is the nicest car they have ever owned.

My 1994 Impreza was bullet proof. The only thing beyond regular maintenance I did was replace a leaking oil pump, at the 120K service. I never even replaced the brakes! I sold it after 14 years and 150k miles, the body was beat and the interior was torn but the thing still ran perfect and didn't burn a drop of oil.

My 1998 Forester engine gave up at 140k, but I got it at 90k so I'm not sure how it was treated before me. My 2006 Outlook was really nice but was a bit of an oil burner (about 1qt per 2k). Everything else worked fine but I only owned it two years. I sold it to my step-mother who is still driving it and other than the consistant oil consumption it is still going strong.

My mom has a 2013 Impreza that has the piston ring issue that so far Subaru won't fix because it doesn't consume more than 1qt per 1.2k (but it's pretty close).

So basically my 1994 was stone reliable, every one since has been less durable and more troublesome. I don't see myself getting one again.

I like how people choose to buy products others won't...and sales numbers through the roof, and others call them idiots.

You must be a very smart guy Miller.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

LOL true, and then reality kicks in: oh I need to stop too
smile.gif

If I had to replace the Focus today, I think two of the cars high up on the list would be the XV and the Forester. Manual transmission station wagon. Throw on a good set of snow tires and it's perfect!

I like how some of their cars look, i just wish they and selectable 4wd. I don't care for awd. If they had rwd with a switch for 4wd , I'd be in!

one 2002 head gasket eating outback was enough for me. 2 head gaskets and 3 rads and a set of cyl heads all before 60,000 .

I bought a 1985 GL10 turbocharged Subaru wagon and the transmission went out on the drive home from the dealer! They replaced the transmission but by the time I got it back I was done with Subaru. I kept it about 2 years and conned...urr..sold it in the want ads. Mine was a terrible car...I know it was 30 years ago but Geez.

Wow, I didn't realize all the negativity for Subaru. I've been a Subaru fan for a long time, and I currently drive a Subaru Forester and am very happy with it. In the 7 years I've had my Subaru, the only two issues I've had was a front sway bar endlink going bad, and the outside temperature sensor going bad. But the whole engine/drivetrain has been flawless. I replaced the endlink and the temp sensor myself, grand total for everything was under $100. So to me it's been very reliable. My previous Subaru was also reliable, yes it had to have the head gasket replaced, and some work on its center differential so it wasn't 100% trouble free, but overall I beat the [censored] out of that car and it kept going strong. If it wasn't wrecked, I'd still own it today.

Subarus aren't for everybody, but I like them. Some of the things I like are the reliability, the excellent AWD system, and the fact that they do very well in crash tests. My Subarus have also been very easy to work on and do the maintenance myself.

Like I said, they're not for everybody, but I see a lot of positives in them. Most of my friends drive newer cars, but it seems like the few friends I have with older cars are always having to take them to get something fixed or checked out. My Subaru is only seven years old, but it's going strong and I fully expect it to continue to be problem free for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back