Longevity of VW paint...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some vehicle manufacturers have got their paint jobs down, others not so much. I am wondering if any of you have any experience with VW paint. How long do their paint jobs typically hold up? Any special products you like to use? My GF has a Jetta that I maintain (detail....its a 2014 so all oil changes etc. are still done at the dealer) and I want the paint to hold up well in the long run. I get my hands on it about once a month, during the time I have it I give it a wash and usually a spray wax. I also clean/apply protectant to the interior plastics as well as apply leather conditioner to the V-Tex seats. I try to give it a full wax job every 3-4 months or so, I was able to do that today. So please, comment! I notice that many GM's seem to have good paint jobs that hold up well if you take care of them, however, some car companies like Mitsubishi, Dodge, Chrysler, and some others seem like their paint turns to rubbish after XX amount of years even with good care.
20150625_1304451_zpst0xwafty.jpg

20150625_1305191_zpstzihfofm.jpg

I will never understand the need to do any of what's listed above to a car, If you seriously enjoy doing it then more power to you.

by doing this, there is no overall benefit other then MAYBE how "good" it looks later on and it's not a rare car so you won't really be helping it's value for the time spent.

I had several VW's before my current Honda. The paint is typically considered "hard," or at least the clear is. It doesnt mean it's harder to mar, IMHO, but it does mean it is harder to correct. It holds up well, but it is just as prone to rock chips as my Honda, which has "softer" paint.

As far as the seats, I'd use a dedicated vinyl treatment, or even Meg's leather sealer. The vinyl doesnt need the oils the leather treatment provides. VTex is very durable, IME.

Good luck. Love the color, as it was the color of my last TDI.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I had several VW's before my current Honda. The paint is typically considered "hard," or at least the clear is. It doesnt mean it's harder to mar, IMHO, but it does mean it is harder to correct. It holds up well, but it is just as prone to rock chips as my Honda, which has "softer" paint.

As far as the seats, I'd use a dedicated vinyl treatment, or even Meg's leather sealer. The vinyl doesnt need the oils the leather treatment provides. VTex is very durable, IME.

Good luck. Love the color, as it was the color of my last TDI.

Why did you get rid of your TDI? Good choice on a new ride though!

GM had terrible paint, I had a new Beretta that looked like a 3 year old painted it after a year. Dodge and Ford had their issues as well but GM was the greatest offender.

Other than the stuff that came off in sheets back in the late 80's, I've found GM paint to be extremely durable. I rarely find rock chips on the front end of my GM vehicles.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
GM had terrible paint, I had a new Beretta that looked like a 3 year old painted it after a year. Dodge and Ford had their issues as well but GM was the greatest offender.

PPG, BASF and DuPont introduced waterborne paint to the OEMs around that time, seeing how GM and DuPont go a long way back - PPG supplied Ford and Chrysler and BASF had a monopoly on German OEM business. An old Nissan Quest my parents had a long time ago had the paint delamination issue, and recently Honda also had his issue.

The paint makers blend paint to OEM specifications - PPG does this with the Japanese OEMs.

The paint on my 2002 VW Jetta still looks good. The weather around here is fairly mild and constant. I usually wax the car 2-3 times a year. Nothing fancy, I just whatever is available at the store. In between waxes I just use spray wax or detailer.

My daughter has a 2008 jetta which gets waxed maybe once a year and still looks great. The beige interior is still almost new with 80k on the clock. We only use a damp rag to wipe down the interior. My other daughter has a 2012 which is similar to yours. The paint seems just as good, although the interior is definitely different, not sure if it is as durable only time will tell. She has about 25k on it and still looks great as well. I am in NJ with fairly severe winters at times

I purchased a 2006 Jetta TDI, Charcoal Gray, brand new. Drove it for years. The headlights turned milky, but the paint held up very well. Waxed it regularly and I was quite happy with the appearance. Even the interior held up very well in the South Florida sun. Something I can't say for my Jaguar, Honda or some other cars.

Greg...sold the tdi because I started to drive a ton for work, was nearing the end of the warranty, and was a bit scared at the after warranty risk on a tdi. With the new emissions system repairs can cost an arm and a leg. I still miss it and think about a Passat tdi often. However, the accord has been a joy. Trouble free, nearly 40 mpg highway, and the resale will be better. Sometimes I wish I had gotten the V6, but maybe next time.
smile.gif

German paint is hard. After, it has to hold up on the Autobahn! VW will also step up to the plate if there are issues waaay down the road. Right now they are extending the corrosion warranty on Jetta fenders and liftgates to TEN YEARS UNLIMITED MILES because a bunch of poorly-cared-for, high mileage examples in the rust belt are inexplicably rusting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
VW paint is generally pretty good.

Most people when they ask don't believe our VW is an '07.
I do a polish & wax/sealant twice a year, once in spring and fall and wash weekly or bi-weekly.
So far so good!
If I had one area after 8 years to complain about, it is the hood, especially on a black car.

Quote:
German paint is harder than a wedding d1ck.
This must be very very old expression. These days with the pre-wedding cohabitation, it does not have the same rock solidity!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
German paint is harder than a wedding d1ck.
This must be very very old expression. These days with the pre-wedding cohabitation, it does not have the same rock solidity!

Sad, it shouldn't be that way...

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
I will never understand the need to do any of what's listed above to a car, If you seriously enjoy doing it then more power to you.

by doing this, there is no overall benefit other then MAYBE how "good" it looks later on and it's not a rare car so you won't really be helping it's value for the time spent.

Enjoying a clean, detailed car is something that I (and many others) happen to like. There's nothing like smoothe shiny paint and an interior that looks as good as, if not better than, the day you drove it off the lot!

What is more curious is why you are hanging out on a detailing forum?? No offense, but if you don't get 'detailing' a car, why this forum? I see detailing like a hobby, something that you enjoy doing...it's not for everyone, but what is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back