Some little known bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as I delve into the boxes of records I was given I found a couple cassettes of The Outfield, Men At Work, and some Quiet Riot and Cinderella. Do any of you folks remember these and other not well known bands? I say this cause' I never really paid attention to Men at Work and ones mentioned above.

Little known and the last three you mention should not be in the same sentence!

Perhaps you're thinking more of 10CC, Street Toyz (look THAT one up) and the Weepies.

Quiet Riot and Cinderella were mainstream radio play where I grew up. QR being heavier Rock and Cinderella a "Big Hair" girlie rock band.

All four of those bands were played on mainstream radio roughly when I was in high school.
Anybody else ever see The Elect and Naked Vanilla?
AFAIK, each only played a single show in Dallas around 1990.

Little known?

Quiet Riot-In 1983 released their breakthrough album Metal Health, which is known for being the first heavy metal album to top the Billboard album chart.

Men At Work- In January 1983, they were the first Australian artists to have a simultaneous No. 1 album and No. 1 single in the United States Billboard charts – Business as Usual (released on 9 November 1981) and "Down Under" (1981), respectively.

Cinderella-The band emerged in the mid-1980s with a series of multi-platinum albums and hit singles whose music videos received heavy MTV rotation.

The Outfield- The Outfield is unusual for a British band in that it enjoyed commercial success in the U.S., but never enjoyed similar success in its homeland. The band began recording during the mid-1980s, and released its first album, Play Deep, in 1985 through Columbia Records. The album reached No. 9 on the Billboard 200 list and then reached triple platinum in America.

I remember the last three well. I know The Outfield by name but couldn't identify any of their songs.

Men At Work seemed mainstream back in the 1980s. Cinderella was also fairly popular as what I would call a "light" metal band. Quiet Riot's Metal Health album was one of the first in a series of soundtracks to my misspent youth. Later, I discovered Krokus, Accept, and the likes of Voivod and Mercyful Fate.

Some earlier bands that seemed obscure were Uriah Heep, King Crimson, and Nazareth.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Later, I discovered Krokus, Accept, and the likes of Voivod and Mercyful Fate.

Don't forget Dokken. Same time-frame and had a few really good ones too.

Thanks for the flashbacks guys
thumbsup2.gif

I remember the last three well. I know The Outfield by name but couldn't identify any of their songs.

Men At Work seemed mainstream back in the 1980s. Cinderella was also fairly popular as what I would call a "light" metal band. Quiet Riot's Metal Health album was one of the first in a series of soundtracks to my misspent youth. Later, I discovered Krokus, Accept, and the likes of Voivod and Mercyful Fate.

Some earlier bands that seemed obscure were Uriah Heep, King Crimson, and Nazareth.

Uriah Heep and King Crimson are awesome!! I have an lp by Giles Giles and Fripp,Robert Fripp before King Crimson. Then of course Keith Emerson left King Crimsom to form Emerson Lake and Palmer,another great group!! Karn Evil and Knife's Edge (how it's titled on the 45 release) being my favorite songs by them.

In October of 1985 I saw "Back to the Future" with my brother.
NOTE: The date on the flux-capacitor was within 4 days of the actual date.

Afterwards we walked about and happened upon a "Men At Work" concert at Radio City Music Hall.
It wasn't sold out.

We went in and seating wasn't enforced. Very English/Australian crowd.
We had a great time.

The warm-up band, "Haircut 100" was unmemorable. Kira

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Uriah Heep and King Crimson are awesome!! I have an lp by Giles Giles and Fripp,Robert Fripp before King Crimson. Then of course Keith Emerson left King Crimsom to form Emerson Lake and Palmer,another great group!! Karn Evil and Knife's Edge (how it's titled on the 45 release) being my favorite songs by them.

Oboy, now we're delving into Prog Rock. I've been a Crimson fan since ~1977. But Keith Emerson was never in King Crimson. It was Greg Lake that came out of KC to go to ELP. Keith Emerson came from The Nice, and Carl Palmer came out of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown. I have listened to the Giles, Giles, & Fripp album on YouTube, and it's plenty weird. If I listen to too much King Crimson, I Fripp out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back