Drove a 14 Mitsubishi Mirage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Pesca
Supton, Is it too far for you to head north and go try a Nissan Micra here in Canada (not sold in the US)?

Who wants to jump through hoops getting this thing homologated so that it can be registered here and then finding a Nissan dealer who would want to work on it and honor the warranty?

One of my friends bought a couple Subaru Foresters in the US for him and his parents back in 2007-08 when our dollars were equal, but many manufacturers still charged 25-30% more up here. Subaru Canada won't honor the warranties but Subaru usa allowed him to take it to any garage up here and bill them for the warranty work.
But you are right, bring in a new car that isn't sold in the US at all would probably be more hassle than its worth...

I think you should wait for the new AWD sportwagon TDI with an mtx... But that's me spending your money
grin.gif

lol, no doubt a nice car... People have been waiting what, a decade plus?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think you should wait for the new AWD sportwagon TDI with an mtx... But that's me spending your money
grin.gif

Not surprised...Mitsu has always been known as a maker of good economy cars, so people were just waiting for them to bring out another car similar to the Colt - simple, reliable, and effecient, and they would buy it.

At least, that is the situation with Mitsubishi in Canada. You saw a lot of Colts/Mirages/Summits on the roads in the 1980's and 1990's; and now you see a lot of Mirages on the road again.

I couldn't get over the feeling that Mitsu was a dying brand and that in 2-5 years I wouldn't have a dealer network. Unlike the GM brands that died, I don't think there would be any place to take it in or find parts.

I think the new Mitsubishi pick-up truck might be sold as a dodge again (akin to the old S10). It'll be sold as a FIAT for sure. but maybe not in the USA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
I couldn't get over the feeling that Mitsu was a dying brand and that in 2-5 years I wouldn't have a dealer network. Unlike the GM brands that died, I don't think there would be any place to take it in or find parts.

Who needs a dealer if it's out of warranty? You'll be able to get anything you need, I'd bet.

Originally Posted By: supton
Heh, the Mitsu dealer likes to keep in touch, emailing once/week, and even a phone call today.

Out of curiosity I tried to find sales numbers.
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/06/usa-may-2015-ytd-car-sales-stats-by-model.html
Looks like almost 12k Mirages sold in 2015 through May, as opposed to nearly 6k the year before. Looks like Mirage makes a big chunk of sales for Mitsu, over quarter of their sales.
http://media.mitsubishicars.com/channels...-in-seven-years

If Mitsubishi is going to be in the US market in 10 years, I'm pretty sure it is going to be because the Mirage saved Mitsuibshi USA.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: BowNisPar

Who needs a dealer if it's out of warranty? You'll be able to get anything you need, I'd bet.

It's a pretty common car around the world. I imagine parts will be readily available and cheap. Plus with the number of things they are carnking out for the US ...

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Not surprised...Mitsu has always been known as a maker of good economy cars, so people were just waiting for them to bring out another car similar to the Colt - simple, reliable, and effecient, and they would buy it.

At least, that is the situation with Mitsubishi in Canada. You saw a lot of Colts/Mirages/Summits on the roads in the 1980's and 1990's; and now you see a lot of Mirages on the road again.

I remember there were a LOT of Colts and Summits on the road up until the early 00s. Very popular.

I have not found global sales figures on the Mirage yet. If they are selling well elsewhere, and they sell a boatload here, then that bodes well for ownership. Don't get me wrong, after five or so years it will have depreciated so much that most repairs will write off the car; but it is a warm thought that one can mailorder parts and expect them to be cheap even.

I'm thinking in 2 or 3 years I will pick one up on CL for $2K or something cheap. Hoping, at least.

Just no god-awful unreliable JATCO CVTs for me.

Good luck. I look every couple days, and I want to say cvt to stick is 10:1 on the dealer lots.

Yeah. The local Mitsu dealer always has at least 1 manual transmission on the lot but there's probably 20 with the glorified snowmobile transmission.

I think that's going to be a killer for the Mirage. When the CVTs self-destruct at 50K miles and owners have a $7K repair bill for a car that is not worth less than that.

Also, when I tested one, I had the mitsubishi salesman calling me for probably 6 months.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Yeah. The local Mitsu dealer always has at least 1 manual transmission on the lot but there's probably 20 with the glorified snowmobile transmission.

I think that's going to be a killer for the Mirage. When the CVTs self-destruct at 50K miles and owners have a $7K repair bill for a car that is not worth less than that.

Also, when I tested one, I had the mitsubishi salesman calling me for probably 6 months.

I'd love to know the number of times you've used "snowmobile transmission" on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: Miller88

I'd love to know the number of times you've used "snowmobile transmission" on BITOG.

Every time I reference unreliable Nissan CVTs

Originally Posted By: glock19

7 times, according to the Search function.
smile.gif

Off all the cvt's out there, I have to wonder if this will be the worst. Small engine that will be flogged all the time, meaning the trans is always changing ratio. OTOH this is one of the lowest torque motors using a cvt so it has that going for it.

Maybe I missed it but what company makes their cvt? I'm guessing same one as Nissan because of the comments.

Yes. It's the same 2 speed CVT that shows up in some smaller Nissan products.

Originally Posted By: supton
Off all the cvt's out there, I have to wonder if this will be the worst. Small engine that will be flogged all the time, meaning the trans is always changing ratio. OTOH this is one of the lowest torque motors using a cvt so it has that going for it.

I don't think it's the constant changing of gears that causes them to self destruct. Their enemy is torque. My suspicion is they would last slightly longer in something small and low powered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back