Any comments on Safelite Auto Glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW1

I want to replace the windshield on my Tundra. I was just wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with Safelite. I'm more concerned with the quality of their glass since I was told they are an OEE (Original Equipment Equivalent) supplier and not an OEM supplier.

Horrible, had a chip in the windshield fixed by them on the 05 Matrix and the guy made it worse by pressing too hard on the glass when fixing it. He even laughed about it. They use cheap glass for replacements. I'd go with a local indy glass repair place that takes pride in their work. Do some research on local places, yelp reviews etc.

Also makes sure they use a brand name like PPG. More info here:

http://www.glass.net/auto-glass-info/dealer-oem-aftermarket-what-type-of-auto-glass-should-i-buy

Last edited:
My car has had 5 or 6 Safelite windshields. Their customer service is fantastic, but the quality of glass is awful. The 2013 Beetle has a Pilkington from them. Has some wind noise and is pitting pretty bad.

My windshield is from Safelite on the 2004 Beetle and it is pitting too but doesn't have wind noise.

My grandmother's Trailblazer has a Safelite windshield, the previous one from them had a defect in the line of vision that made it hard to see out of, it distorted your vision and when seeing lane lines it doubled. New windshield is good, they replaced it under warranty.

Had one Safelite windshield on the Cherokee. Glass quality was bad - had a wavy distortion in the glass that was very noticeable. When it broke, I had a Pilkington (made in India) put in by another company, and it was fine.

Since we get to choose on insurance jobs, I've had my Ford windshields done at the Ford dealership. Gotten OEM Ford Windshields and no complaints with quality. On resale, knoweldgeable buyers always note the Windshield brand...

I reallllly hope some day soon a big ol' rock hits my windshield so I can use my glass coverage on this [censored] soft-as-plastic subaru windshield that looks like my friend's 2002 CRV did when he sold it last year, and I bought this car in 2012.

Garbage in our 2005 Legacy GT. A distortion in every windshield (6 tries and finally went to small indy) somewhere that make it appear like you are in house of mirrors looking out in a certain vantage point.

From my insurance company, they replaced the RR window on the Focus when it got broken into. Worked well for 2 or 3 weeks then it wouldn't go down. Turns out they never clipped it to the part that pulls down and pushes up.

So I called them and they came and fixed it.

Worked again for a week. Finally I pulled the door apart myself and fixed it.

Get the glass from the dealer, if you are on highway a lot.
Resistance to chip outs is the best from the dealer. As well as sound insulation. As well as structural strength. Well worth the differential in price IMO. The differential between my Lexus LX glass and Pilkington was huge, but the Pilkington didn't last, and I did end up with the Lexus at 3x cost after all. That vehicle sees highway a lot and the chips are inevitable.

now you askked ...I've had last 2 windshields from safe-lite in my 02 F150 and the smallest rocks seem to chip it. I usually have 2 or 3 before I replace it. Next go round i will have my tinting/glass place do the glass. There tinting work has been flawless so betting glass is just as good

I had them repair a chip once, primarily because I figured the resins are the same and a national chain gives me something to fall back on.

That said, their glass is wavy third world garbage, ime, and there's no way I'd use it.

Originally Posted By: horse123
I reallllly hope some day soon a big ol' rock hits my windshield so I can use my glass coverage on this [censored] soft-as-plastic subaru windshield that looks like my friend's 2002 CRV did when he sold it last year, and I bought this car in 2012.
Hammers have been known to develop a mind of their own.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Hammers have been known to develop a mind of their own.

Hammers don't vandalize windshields. People do.

That analogy works for gun violence, right? Why can't it work for insurance fraud, too?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I had them repair a chip once, primarily because I figured the resins are the same and a national chain gives me something to fall back on.

That said, their glass is wavy third world garbage, ime, and there's no way I'd use it.

There is a Focus similar to mine in the junkyard (first I have seen!). I am extremely tempted to buy the window glass and replace it again myself.

Oem glass if you can afford it! I have heard way too much negative feedback from safelite. I believe they are best for un informed buyers not BITOG members who know better.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I've found evidence that they use glass that is 1/16" thinner than others.
I've switched to another local company.

I wonder if that's why my window kept popping out?

My I35's windshield is sandblasted to [censored] and I'm also currently pricing replacements. OEM glass is by Asahi and Safelite said they'd install their "OEM equivalent" which was still pretty expensive.

I'm just going to keep shopping around and look for well-reputed local installers. Of course OEM is the best but I've had good luck with Pilkington units in the past on my other cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back