Which Sledge Hammer Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed my sledge hammer is missing. Last time I used it, probably over 5 years ago... More? Must have lent it out and was never returned

No idea of the weight it was and I'm now in the market

Just looking at Home Depot is see a range of sizes.. 4#, 8#, 10#,... Just lifting them in the store doesn't tell me much and I'm wondering what most of you use

My usage will be driving stakes, pounding stones to break up, installing/shifting RR tie walls,.. Typical I would say. What's atypical is the amount of stone in my yard. From golf ball sized to small Volkswagens so I can see myself whacking the heck out of stone that needs to be busted up... That will probably be the most demanding task

Curious: what weight are you using?

By the way, my power lifting days are over

This is like asking what bowling ball weight to go with.
Depends on your strength. I'm 6'2" and skinny so I would choose 8# myself.

How long do you want to work? 4lb, work for hours. 10lb, work for ONE hour.

Plus, IMO there are more things you can do with the 4lb. The heavy stuff is good for breaking rocks, but accuracy suffers.

Last edited:
Go over to the watermelon section and go for a test drive.
wink.gif

I like the heavier ones, just swing slower for control and to preserve the body. I also split firewood with a maul of about the same weight so it keeps me in shape.

The one lousy thing is I got the sledge for whacking drums off cars and even stuck tires, but the angle working under a bumper is awkward with a heavier sledge.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
How long do you want to work? 4lb, work for hours. 10lb, work for ONE hour.

Plus, IMO there are more things you can do with the 4lb. The heavy stuff is good for breaking rocks, but accuracy suffers.

You don't swing with power with a sledge. You let gravity do the work so heavier is better. You just guide it.
These kids today buy these stupid titanium stiletto hammers and they foolishly believe the hype that it hits harder than my 32 ounce Vaughan so I prove it to them.
While they are swinging with all their might and bending countless nails I'm just lifting and guiding my hammer driving spikes with a set then sunk,set/sunk. Driving one timers all day.
I am as fast driving nails by hand as my guys are with guns. And putting very little effort.
My sledges at work are 12 pound with steel handles welded on. You don't swing it with power swings. You'll burn out In an hour. You lift and guide it letting the eight and Gravity do the work for you.
Proper technique beats brute force all day.
I learned to swing a sledge pounding rail spikes one summer. You swing with your waist in a circular motion using your core. Arms straight but loose. Once you establish range and a consistent pattern it becomes very easy.
Lifting over your head then driving down is a very poor technique.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Go over to the watermelon section and go for a test drive.
wink.gif

OK, it took me a while, but now I remember:
Gallagher and the Sledgematic!

Yeah, tough to call without knowing physical specs, stamina and such. Just thought I'd throw it out there to see who is swinging what

4 pounder just feels too light...

Had the 10 pound in my hand again today and I can see that getting heavier and heavier as the day wears on

Clevy is right - it's all about Gravity and swing technique.. Learned that ages ago splitting firewood but completely forgot about it until he brought it up - although I do prefer the over the head drop for that extra umph. For wood anyway. Guess it depends on the target

One thing I learned from this? Lend out tools and keep a record or list.

For splitting wood with a wedge i always used an 8#. Clevy nailed the technique. You don't power it like an axe, you get it up for gravity to work.

Last edited:
As a contractor, I've got a pile of them in all weights and handle lengths and they all have their purpose. For general work, I like a 10lb or an 8lb if I'm working for a while. Small stuff gets a 4lb stubby handle and tight quarters I go somewhere between a 6 and 10lb with a short handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back