Purpose of Firearm Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

One would think that this forum is for the discussion on Firearm related discussions....Firearm Lube, cleaners, maintenance, and I would think "Use".

I respectively feel that mods should not allow the gun haters to spew their [censored] and get the threads shut down. That should only be permitted in the "General and Off Topic " section.

Thanks.

The fact that you made this thread means that you are playing right into their hands.

Don't take the bait.

Don't like the thread? Don't click on it.

Not being a moderator...

I absolutely agree that this sub-forum includes topics such as "use" of firearms.

I absolutely disagree that certain opinions should be moved to a different forum. How can gun owners insist on acceptance of their views while, at the same time, suppressing those of others?

To the degree that it can (staying out of race/religion/sex/politics), this forum (BITOG) allows us to "speak" freely with our written word. I believe that it should stay that way. If you feel that discussion on a certain topic has strayed too far from its original intent, I suggest encouraging those who want to continue in that discussion to start another thread.

If you're going to have a firearms forum, then you are going to have these kind of heated, highly opinionated discussions. You can't throw a bomb, then complain about the damage when it goes off.

I don't believe the firearm forum has any place on BITOG.
And I must basically disagree AL, though trolls shouldn't be allowed to crash any normal gun technical talk threads - mods should remove hijac troll posts and allow any "sane" thread to proceed.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Its an application that utilizes a number of different lubricants, water displacers, and cleaners that fall into the "oil" category. Why should it be less valid than outdoor power equipment or aviation?

And I must basically disagree AL, though trolls shouldn't be allowed to crash any normal gun technical talk threads - mods should remove hijac troll posts and allow any "sane" thread to proceed.

You really like controlling what people have to say, don't you? How about this...... IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN DON'T READ IT! Works for me every time. The Internet is a big place.

The same could be said that many of the BITOG forums are superfluous and have no relation to lubrication.

In my view, only Oil related or mechanical/maintenance forums should exist, but that is not my call, JMO.

Its intended purpose is for discussions on lubricants, cleaners and maintenance of firearms. Since most of the above involves oil, in one form or another, I think the forum belongs on BITOG.

Now, many of the threads, threads that I've fully, and frequently, participated in, involve firearm use...and while that's outside the intended scope of the forum, I think that as long as we avoid religion, sex, and politics, we can have those discussions...but the RSP boundary is easily crossed when the subject of firearms use comes up....

Last edited:
Maybe something needs to be done about people who manage again and again to get threads locked up. We all know who the guys are who go around this website causing as much in the way of problems that they can.

I don't understand why the gun haters even bother to check out the Firearms Section. Sure, they have their point of view and they can hate guns all they want. But they really disrupt good discussion at this section and what exactly are they achieving? The guys who like guns are never going to be influenced by the gun haters into not buying and using guns.

Guys who repeatedly disrupt various parts of this website need to be banned.

Actually by the designation, the discussions should be limited to cleaners, lubes and maintenance. Only.

So any reviews, any commentary on what one would buy, or anything else should be in the general G&OT.

I've not looked in the firearm forum for a while but if topics associated with "haters" are in there, and it's turning into a heated discussion not related to lubrication and maintenance, then it probably doesn't belong.

And I'll be the first to admit that I've discussed other stuff in there, and I've posted on other stuff in there. But if a complaint is going to be let, let's at least be sure the conversations are pertinent to the intent of the topical subforum.

Originally Posted By: billt460

You really like controlling what people have to say, don't you? How about this...... IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THEN DON'T READ IT! Works for me every time. The Internet is a big place.
+1 The control freaks can't wait for us to be disarmed.

I feel the firearms forum should NOT under any circumstances have any anti firearm discussion,politics,hate,etc. It's a forum for enthusiasts,not bashers. Bashers should go find an anti firearm group on the net somewhere and become members there.

Let's say there's a group of people you don't like, we'll use a baseball team for example.
And you REALLY don't like that team, so much that you think the world would be a better place if they would just go away.
If you went to a forum of that team's fans, players and supporters to disagree with them, it would be very unlikely you'd be able to change their connection to that team. In fact, your arguments would just be "peeing in the wind".

Your efforts, time and communications would probably be better served elsewhere.

We're all adults here.

Yes, we are all adults except for the internet troll that apparently never grew up and a few others who don't act like adults. Somebody who comes to the firearms section just to argue gun control with guys who obviously believe in gun ownership rights (why else would they be in the firearms section?) really needs to find a website where the anti-gun people go to.

We had a post here about Handgun Carry in Church and that post was taken every direction except the right direction. I guess it was deleted finally after a few anti-gun fanatics showed up. The anti-gun fanatics probably have plenty of other websites they can go to with other anti-gun fanatics like themselves.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I feel the firearms forum should NOT under any circumstances have any anti firearm discussion,politics,hate,etc. It's a forum for enthusiasts,not bashers. Bashers should go find an anti firearm group on the net somewhere and become members there.

That was my point.

Does anyone suggest that it would be correct to allow the antis to cause so much disruption that they close down the firearm forum? Isn't that exactly their approach to getting rid of firearms? Getting rid of the forum is submitting to them. The best way is ignore or block them.

Well, the post about Handgun Carry in Church was deleted as far as I can tell. I don't know why it was deleted, but a few anti-gun members were posting one post after another after another arguing against civilians being allowed to have guns.

This is the Firearms Forum. I think it is safe to assume that anybody posting here and viewing the posts here is interested in firearms and subjects related to firearms, such as lubrication. So in a sense what the anti-gun people did was attack this section of the website. There were a few of these anti-gun people. I can think of at least three offhand. So it was almost like an organized attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back