Going to try CarPro Hydro2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally broke down and ordered this "Miracle-in-Bottle" concentrated snake oil! I had always wanted to try this product since it came out first. For somebody lazy like me, this seems to be a godsend one.

Wish me luck.

Some tips:

1) never use in the sun
2) spray one panel at a time, make sure the panel is covered in a fine mist. Don't rely on water to spread the product.
3) after rinsing, re-rinse any areas that the run-off may have contacted (I.e. If you do the roof, re-rinse all of the doors and glass)
4) maximum slickness may take a few hours to develop, and yes, it bonds best to bare paint.

It's a great product, but the water conditions no longer allow me to use it out here.

How does this compare to Opti-Seal? Opti-Seal lasts 6 months vs 3 months for this product.

Is the Hydro2 more repellent?

Originally Posted By: Benito
How does this compare to Opti-Seal? Opti-Seal lasts 6 months vs 3 months for this product.

Is the Hydro2 more repellent?

I've never seen Opti-Seal last 6 months. I usually see 2-3 mo depending on the number of washes and whether the vehicle is garaged.

Hydro2 lasts about the same for me as Opti-Seal. Hydro2 beads and repels dirt a lot better. But opti-seal costs a fraction of what Hydro2 costs...per vehicle. It's like 80 cents a car versus $4.

Thanks.

Sounds like the permanent coatings might be more time and cost efficient.

Which one of those is your favorite at the moment?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I've never seen Opti-Seal last 6 months. I usually see 2-3 mo depending on the number of washes and whether the vehicle is garaged.

Hydro2 lasts about the same for me as Opti-Seal. Hydro2 beads and repels dirt a lot better. But opti-seal costs a fraction of what Hydro2 costs...per vehicle. It's like 80 cents a car versus $4.

Agreed on all accounts, as usual.

IME, HydrO2 makes the surface way more hydrophobic than Opti Seal.

Meh; too expensive for what it does. I did not even manage to do 1.5 cars with the $20 chemical. I had to do it outside and with the breeze, half of the product was not landing on the vehicle. I could not do this inside the garage because the inside of my garage is not "waterproof"!

Even if the bottle had cost me $2.00, I would have been still disappointed.

Well, at least it finally got out of my system and it was worth $20 to learn a lesson.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Meh; too expensive for what it does. I did not even manage to do 1.5 cars with the $20 chemical. I had to do it outside and with the breeze, half of the product was not landing on the vehicle. I could not do this inside the garage because the inside of my garage is not "waterproof"!

Even if the bottle had cost me $2.00, I would have been still disappointed.

Well, at least it finally got out of my system and it was worth $20 to learn a lesson.

The wind is definitely not your friend when applying it.

When you say the "$20 chemical", I assume you mean the 100 ml size as it is a little less than $20.

You mix it 1:3 with water, so the 100 ml size turns in to 400 ml of product. It takes approximately 40 ml to do a car, so that size should be good for 10 cars. That means that each application should cost approximately $2.

I used way too much the first time that I used it, but got a much better feel for it the second time. A really fine mist sprayer makes the application a lot easier.

As you mentioned, I don't even bother if it's windy out. I don't want the mess in the garage, so I don't use it in there.

400 ml sounds a lot but it does not even make the 1/4 of the standard size chemical resistant spray .bottles such as Meguiars Detailers Choice. I had kept the spray size as low as I could.

I use the 8 oz. sprayer bottles from Detailed Image. Mix with distilled water and then spray away. The tips that The Critic listed earlier are what I've discovered as well. I missed a few run-off spots the first time I used Hydro2 - the side mirrors still have the spots several months later.

I confess to using Hydro2 on the minivan. On the MDX, I've been experimenting with CarPro Reload and Optimum Car Wax. From a durability perspective, the CarPro products are much better, but Optimum Car Wax seems to add a different "warmer" look to the paint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
400 ml sounds a lot but it does not even make the 1/4 of the standard size chemical resistant spray .bottles such as Meguiars Detailers Choice. I had kept the spray size as low as I could.

Those bottles do not deliver a fine-enough spray for Hydro2.

I usually use 4-5 oz per car (being generous), so 400ml should be more than enough for 2 cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back