Where you guy put your magnet on oil filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a magnet really worth it? According to all the UOA's that I have done, it doesn't seem to be making any difference.

If your filter has its bypass on the bottom (dome/sealed end), then is there any benefit of putting the filter magnet on the bottom?

When the filter goes into bypass the oil passes over the filter media to the bottom, then goes unfiltered through the bypass valve to the engine. By putting the magnet on the bottom, would that help catch some of the metal particles that would otherwise go unfiltered back into circulation?

Skip the oil filter, just use a mag drain plug. GoldPlug.com or DrainPlugMagnets.com for strong ones that work.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Skip the oil filter, just use a mag drain plug. GoldPlug.com or DrainPlugMagnets.com for strong ones that work.
Nonmagnetic dirt NEVER gets into an engine? The old VW bug motor didn't use a filter, but is was air cooled and ran pretty wide clearances.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Nonmagnetic dirt NEVER gets into an engine? The old VW bug motor didn't use a filter, but is was air cooled and ran pretty wide clearances.

The subject is magnet locations, and I said skip the oil filter (location), put your magnet where the drain plug is. Thats all.

I would be afraid with a magnet on the filter, that a pile of fine metal particle might build up and some odd flow of oil occurs when the filter goes into bypass knocking a large amount of this debris loose and it goes right to the bearings without any filtering.

+1 Wobbly. Large particles should be trapped in the filter media - or on the bottom of the pan.

Better to have the mag on the sump drain plug tip - if anywhere.

+1 for the magnetic drain plugs. many different good ones are sold. I bought one for the 330XI i had from ECS tuning, and it seemed to work really well. Most wear metals I noticed was with M1 0W-40, GC (old) was middle of the pack, and the BMW 5W-30 synthetic actually did the best. But maybe the M1 0W-40 was just stiring up, and cleaning the neglect from the previous owner, as that was the oil I ran for my first 3 OCI's.

Filters rating are measured on microns meaning not visible to the naked eye, they defeat the oil filter's purpose. I would use the drain plug as well.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Filters rating are measured on microns meaning not visible to the naked eye, they defeat the oil filter's purpose. I would use the drain plug as well.

I've heard that said before but wouldn't millions or thousands of microns add up to a sludge.

That said I wonder of a magnet can interfere with bpv like on a wix threaded end bpv.

Last edited:
I run a FILTERMAG 384-SS365 (3.50" - 3.80") on the outside of my 13 Outback 3.6L's spin-on oil filter with success.

All of the auto transmissions get a TM-180 flat FILTERMAG magnet on the outside of the drain pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back