2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 fuel contamination

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck suddenly went into limp mode going down frwy. Computer shorted out, replaced it, then injector bank was bad, replaced them. Still hard running, shaking, white smoke. Mechanic says fuel contamination but insurance company says that it can't be because sugar doesn't desolve in diesel. What else could be the problem? Can't afford to replace engine. Was very well maintained up till now. Please help.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9
240k miles

Originally Posted By: needmytruck
Still hard running, shaking, white smoke.

Sounds like it might have gotten some gasoline in the fuel tank. Has anyone besides you filled it up recently?

White smoke can also be a sign of oil. Your turbine shaft seals may have gone, allowing oil into the combustion chamber.

Both of those are very obvious, though, and I'd have expected your mechanic to check that already.

Check your coolant level. If the new parts are performing correctly and were installed correctly, I look at coolant being sucked into cylinders.

Having said that, and coolant level is still full, I'd be looking into that ECM and related wiring more.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Oil level very high? Very black? Possibly filled the crankcase with fuel?

Oil will be very very black in that year 5.9 as soon as it's started from an oil change. 04.5-07 CTD have 3 injection events which creates a lot of soot in the oil.

Were the injector codes programmed right in the new PCM? Failing to do that would result in a lot of what you're seeing.

Why is he saying contaminated fuel? Has he tested the fuel or is e just making stuff up so you can bill your insurance to pay for this?

Take a sample of the fuel and send it for an analysis somewhere. Either that or drain all the old fuel out and add new in. If it runs fine on fresh fuel you'll know that's the problem. If it still
Doesn't run right then that probably wasn't the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back