good lawn mower battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used DieHard from Sears with good results.

Get a trickle charger for keeping it alive over the winter.

Look on the battery's date code and get one which is no older than 1 month. Freshness is what matters not the brand.Walmart usually has the fastest turn around. I usually get 5-6 years on my riding mower's batteries.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NH73
My lawn mower battery died. What is a reliable one to get?

Verify the battery is spent. I recently had to adjust my valves which gave every indication of a weak battery when cranking.

I've noticed that some lawn equipment batteries are considerably lighter than others. Generally reflected in the price.

Don't pick one that's a lightweight. They contain less lead, therefore have less capacity and won't last as long.

It worked fine the one week I mowed. When I went to mow yesterday, it was dead as a door nail. It only last 3 years on my lawn mower. But I did see that the battery was already 11 months old when I bought the mower.

I have come to the conclusion after all these years, buy the cheapest one that you can find and be done with it. They have a relatively finite life anyway, and you will ultimately either get a good one or bad one.

I presently have a $16. Rural King special that is going on three years without any issues and cranks like new. On the other hand, the $46. JD battery that I purchased lasted all of 1.5 years.

I usually go to Walmart, Advance or TSC. Got the Rural King one because they were running a sale + rebate on it and I was headed there anyway.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I have come to the conclusion after all these years, buy the cheapest one that you can find and be done with it. They have a relatively finite life anyway, and you will ultimately either get a good one or bad one.

I presently have a $16. Rural King special that is going on three years without any issues and cranks like new. On the other hand, the $46. JD battery that I purchased lasted all of 1.5 years.

I usually go to Walmart, Advance or TSC. Got the Rural King one because they were running a sale + rebate on it and I was headed there anyway.

+1

Haven't had much luck with the Walmart batteries so I switched to the warehouse brands (BJ's & Costco) and have had much better success for about the same price.

+2 for the cheapest. My original battery that came with the tractor lasted 6 yrs. Current battery is an Everready from Sam's for $24.99 still going since 2010.

I had a Wal-mart branded Exide L&G battery go 11 (eleven) YEARS.

I'm not sure how Exide ever let a fluke like that ever leave the factory, but it happened.

Now, I use Farm and Fleet branded East Penn/Deka batteries.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
Deka/East Penn batteries are awesome

I totally agree!

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
Deka/East Penn batteries are awesome

I totally agree!

I've also had great luck with Battery Warehouse branded Deka's.

I bought a small PC 545 Odyssey brand battery 10 years ago for my John Deere F510. It will be the last one I buy for the mower I believe. Starts right up in the spring with no attention. If I do hook up a charger it takes about 10 minutes to reach full charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back