What is leaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the valve cover gasket leaking oil on to the intake manifold.

IMG_5384.jpg

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of big. Sort of an if you have to ask, then probably "yes," situation.

If you have never replaced valve cover gaskets before, I probably wouldn't want to learn on a SOHC 4.0 unless you are patient and mechanically inclined. There's a lot of stuff over the valve covers compared to say an I4 Honda. This is not major surgery though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tyleryac
For me this would be a huge job, I know that. For a mechanic would this be considered a major job?
A major job for someone not skilled very well with cars, a minor job for a mechanic.

Being a mechanic for a living i can honestly say no this is a piece of cake for someone that does it everyday. Best advice i can give is do not be intimidated by the beast get out there and tame the beast.

Thanks for the replies.

So, it's defiantly a valve cover? I had the timing chains replaced at Ford and I wonder if they removed the valve cover? If they touched the valve cover/gasket then it is covered under warranty.

Thanks for the replies.

So, it's defiantly a valve cover? I had the timing chains replaced at Ford and I wonder if they removed the valve cover? If they touched the valve cover/gasket then it is covered under warranty.

Ya you have to remove the valve covers to do the timing cassettes on a 4.0 SOHC. Look on your invoice and see if there is a part with "6584" in it, that would be the basic number for a valve cover gasket on a Ford.

That is not that bad since dirt and grit has had a chance to accumulate.I would leave it alone since I doubt it causes and measurable oil loss.

There are no valve cover gaskets listed on the work order for the timing chains.

I went to the dealership and they quoted me $575 + 7% Tax....I am going to see what my mechanic says.

If he thinks that the valve covers were touched for the timing chain then perhaps he could write that up? We'll see.

There are no valve cover gaskets listed on the work order for the timing chains.

I went to the dealership and they quoted me $575 + 7% Tax....I am going to see what my mechanic says.

If he thinks that the valve covers were touched for the timing chain then perhaps he could write that up? We'll see.
bdcardinal works at a Ford dealership, I'm pretty sure he knows his stuff. If they didn't replace the valve cover gaskets then they did a shoddy job and they need to replace them at NO cost to you, no exceptions. Go back and demand it.

Find a manual for the "How To" on the work you had done, and show the dealership where it says to remove the valve covers.

I looked in a Chilton manual (that's all I have) and I didn't see anything about valve cover gaskets.

I called one of the heads of the dealership and I'll see what he says.

It has been a long time since we have done a cassette job at my work, but part of hte list of parts is new valve cover gaskets. It was something like a 25 hour job because to do it right, our techs pulled the engine to get full access to the rear cassette.

Do you have access to a workshop manual that says anything about the valve covers and timing chains that I can show the dealer?

Do you have access to a workshop manual that says anything about the valve covers and timing chains that I can show the dealer?

The only question I had reading this thread was whether or not replacing the valve cover gaskets was required. It could be a case of reusing the valve cover gaskets is allowable per the shop manual.

Originally Posted By: punisher

The only question I had reading this thread was whether or not replacing the valve cover gaskets was required. It could be a case of reusing the valve cover gaskets is allowable per the shop manual.

This also. I seem to remember the valve cover gaskets on these being the metal frame with rubber/silicone. However at the age on the vehicle, even if the book says the gaskets can be re-used, they shouldn't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back