Belly Fat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the weight loss from low carb diets come from depleted glycogen and dehydration. That is not the same thing as fat loss. Also, low carb mostly "works" because restricting a major food group decreases palatability and you have to work harder to keep calories up. The research shows that protein and calorie matched diets of low carb vs high carb makes no difference for weight loss.

Basically, any restrictive diet "works" by indirectly reducing calories. That is why you don't see many fat low carbers or vegans despite wildly different macro compositions.

However low carb has a dark side which is that it increases stress hormones and cortisol so long term, many people experience elevated cholesterol and inflammation.

Bottom.line is best way to lose fat and maintain lean mass is to eat unprocessed whole foods with at least 15-20% protein calories. And dont do diets. Eat until you are satisfied. If you feel hungry, eat. If you are eating whole foods, you can trust what your body is telling you. And do resistance exercise so excess calories are used to build muscle rather than fat. Sprints and stair climbing are good too but not in excess. Chronic cardio is not so great since it is too stressful on the body. That's why many female runners lose their periods because the body is shutting down nonessential systems.

Also, human beings burn calories at a high rate through brain activity. That's why couch potato lifestyle, while the greatest accomplishment of our evolutionary development (we have worked 200,000 years on it), is so bad for weight gain.

You are both passive physically and mentally.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: zach1900
You don't lose weight with exercise. It just makes you more hungry and you eat more. Exercise will make you more fit and healthier, but to lose weight you have to cut way back on carbs and eat more fat and protein. Sugar and wheat are your mortal enemies. Any starch is bad including potatoes, beans, corn, bananas and rice. Check out the books "Protein Power" or "Wheat Belly" - you'll lose weight, feel better and get healthy.
Nonsense , beans might contain starch but they contain a lot of beneficial vitamins minerals plus a nice dose of fiber, this is what I can't stand about people obsessed with food, foods that sustained cultures for a million years is suddenly bad in food obsessed/gluten free America.

Actually, it's not nonsense. If beans are so good for you, why do you have to do so much to them in order to eat them? Try eating some raw beans, in a few hours you won't be happy. Our bodies were never meant to eat them. Sadly, myself included in the past, most people love their pork & beans (Bush,B&M) which are loaded with sugar and carbs - the double whammy of weight gain. I do eat some beans still - 1/2 can (15oz) of black beans in a 3 lb+ batch of chili, but that's about it. Eat some carbs when you need to, just stay overall low carb if you want to drop pounds. Check this out from June 10:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/articl...O-exercise.html

Daily Mail?

I have no idea how to loose weight and no idea how to gain some pounds either. I like to gain 10-15 lbs but couldn't do it for 20-30 years.

I'm 5'7" and 115 lbs, ideally I like to be around 130-135 lbs. My waist line is 29-30" since 1980-1990.

My goto belly-fat burner is bicycle riding up some rather steep hills in my area. Far more vigorous than walking or riding on the flats. I also limited most carbohydrates and booze during the week. Went from 265 to 238 in about 4 months or so. I wrote up my experience in the "bicycle" section.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I have no idea how to loose weight and no idea how to gain some pounds either. I like to gain 10-15 lbs but couldn't do it for 20-30 years.

I'm 5'7" and 115 lbs, ideally I like to be around 130-135 lbs. My waist line is 29-30" since 1980-1990.

Drink 3 or 4 microbrewed beers per evening. You'll be pants shopping soon!

There are good tips above, with resaonable arguments in various directions. If you face a health challenge (most of us do to some extent) then I believe it's worth experimenting to find out what works for your body.

For example, it's easy to overdo ethanol and sugar. But the threshold varies widely per individual. You may be fine with 120 grams of sugar a day, while my limit may be closer to 40.

And physical activity is essential, we are not designed to be couch potatoes.
wink.gif

If someone really doesn't have an idea how to make changes in reaching a fitness or health goal that they're posting on an Oil site (looking at you HTSS_TR :)), what this means is that there's a roadblock and that person needs help in the motivation department.

Let's face it, if you haven't even googled to look up the gajillion ways to do to reach your goal , you're not going to do it now. And even if you have the info, you're not going to follow through on it.

I'd suggest to get off the computer and stop by with your (modern) gym where you can pay a relatively inexpensive fee* to have a trainer talk to you about nutrition and exercise as well as get a personal session or two. They all have package deals. Just about EVERY personal trainer goes over nutrition. *Inexpensive compared to healthcare costs.

Maybe your healthcare plan and doctor can also send you as a referral to a nutritionist too, and that'll be cheaper. Ask about it

If even that is too much of a hassle, you can also signup online again for a small fee and get a customized nutrition and fitness program and get coached perhaps by video chat with a real person.

Yes, you can probably find this info yourself and do your own exercises with some googling, but the fact that this hasn't happened already. This means that it's not going to happen unless you have a real person push you.

Just by having a real person that you have to report back to can cause you to feel responsible to do what you need to do. Maybe it's a crutch that you have to pay someone to motivate you; but if you reach your goal, it's worth it.

Last edited:
You don't lose weight with exercise. It just makes you more hungry and you eat more. Exercise will make you more fit and healthier, but to lose weight you have to cut way back on carbs and eat more fat and protein. Sugar and wheat are your mortal enemies. Any starch is bad including potatoes, beans, corn, bananas and rice. Check out the books "Protein Power" or "Wheat Belly" - you'll lose weight, feel better and get healthy.

Old post I know, but this is nonsense! Carbs are absolutely essential in your diet. I eat tons of potatoes/beans/rice/fruit/grains and have lost a lot of weight and my health has improved greatly. On top of that, I don't count my calories, but I'd guess easily 2500-3000/day. There are programs built upon high carb, plant based diets that reverse diabetes and heart disease. Our fascination with processed food has made an enemy out of carbs; but a potato is not the same as a candy bar.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Originally Posted By: raytseng
If someone really doesn't have an idea how to make changes in reaching a fitness or health goal that they're posting on an Oil site (looking at you HTSS_TR :)), what this means is that there's a roadblock and that person needs help in the motivation department.

Well, I gained 10 lbs in 5-6 months. I'm at 125 lbs now and hope that I will not loose any pound.

I'd sort of agree. On that top 10 list I wouldn't include lean meats, whole grains, peanut butter, or whey. Those probably help you get a belly. Instead I'd add things that rev your metabolism: hot peppers, spices, garlic/onions, high fiber items, and avocado's - one of nature's perfect wholesome fats. The mixture of foods is critical to burning fat. If you consistently mix your proteins with big carbs/sugars then you slow down the burn. Instead, have veggies with your proteins and reasonable quantities of fats. Home cooked beans (no cans) + brown rice/quinoa is an excellent high nutrient meal. Those are near perfect foods.

If you just pile in all the foods together you will not burn that belly. And if you don't exercise (walking is ok) routinely, the progress is also much slower. Plenty of water and sleep is also a key ingredient. Leave anything out and the progress is slowed. Do them all, and you'll be amazed at how quick it can melt off...even in your 60's.

I read dozens books on nutrition, heart disease and cancer in the past 6 years. Figured out what worked for me. I went from 225 lbs to 175 lbs in 8 months at age 55. I couldn't believe it was possible to get under 200 lbs again....hadn't been there since age 45. Was able to drop all medications I had been taking for BP, asthma, etc. Stopped getting colds and annual bronchitis. The year after that, I got down to 160 lbs (71" tall)...what I weighed in 10th grade. I was able to keep it off for 5 years just by eating the way you should, never dieting, always full by eating "too many" veggies. Now at age 61 I've slipped back to 185 lbs because I've allowed some junk foods to slip back in. Still haven't gotten sick at all over the past 6 years, a big change from the decade before that. I actually saw signs of a 6 pack (not Budweiser either) and veins on my obliques....never saw those at anytime in my life. So you can do it...even a 40 year confirmed junk food junkie as I was. What you eat and how mix them is critical.

Why do you have to eat to burn fat? Because you have to increase your metabolism. You do that by eating high quality/high fiber foods throughout the day...and exercise. I had a woman in my office years back who ate like a bird for breakfast and lunch, and ate the whole house for dinner. Her metabolism was so low that very little of those dinner calories got burned off....too many were turned right to fat because her metabolism was so low. She was very overweight and always wondered why she couldn't lose weight. The calories that did she eat tended to be low fiber, high carb, high fat, high sugar. No surprise.

To burn belly fat realize that 1 calorie of any particular food is not the same as the next one. Calories can be hugely different. 150 calories of cooked break fast groats (the closest you can get to eating a raw oat) isn't the same as a white flour processed bagel with 150 calories. One gives you belly fat and the other burns it. Your choice. If you're eating great wholesome foods, you will find it very hard to eat more than 2,000-2,200 calories a day. But put in some processed foods and you can easily consume 3,000-5,000 calories and still be hungry. Start the day with either a lousy breakfast or a bad lunch full of [censored]...and you will be famished by dinner time. Do those first 2 meals right...and a very modest dinner of 300-500 calories will more than likely fill you up. It all works toward the "burn." My huge lunch salad is often so filling that just a snack of almonds, 3 figs, some pumpkin seeds, and a 1/2 banana can be my dinner.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
69GTX, you make sense. Why no canned beans though?

i'm going to guess, the tins lining and products used for conservation.....
and if you know basic cooking, you can give it to your liking flavor

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: cjcride
69GTX, you make sense. Why no canned beans though?

i'm going to guess, the tins lining and products used for conservation.....
and if you know basic cooking, you can give it to your liking flavor

Yeah maybe, but I've never seen canned products with preservatives. That's the point of canning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back