What to LOOK for inspecting USED shotgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to look at a "lightly used" pump action Mossberg 500a 12 guage camo shotgun with the accuchoke system (which I assume means interchangeable).

Shotguns are pretty simple so is there any thing in particular to really look for. My uncle has a
Mossberg (he is out of cell reach at this time) ad his shows why I beleive would be typical wear in moving parts so I don't thing seeing wear on contact points is a big deal? It's $200. I won buy it if it's dented or actions jams or is rediculously rusty.

But anything else to look at, poke a flashlight at?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Field strip it and look inside.

Check for any abnormal wear. The bolt locks into a window in the barrel extension where it slides into the receiver. Makes sure there is no deformation, cracks, or abnormal wear on the barrel extension locking area or on the bolt of the shotgun. Make sure the firing pin is not deformed or broken and it moves freely in the bolt.

From the looks it hasn't been used much, there's no wear mark on the mag tube. Unless it's been refinished ?

Check for straight rib and barrel, no dent's or bulge in barrel and everything that others have mentioned.

Most shotguns have less than 200 shells ever fired through them. A very small percentage of shotguns are ever fired more than that.

Knock the two pins out and drop out the trigger group. You can clean it better that way and inspect the parts. It's part of the field strip procedure.

Remove the magazine spring/follower by twisting the magazine tube off (takes a bit of effort). I like to replace the magazine spring on any used shotguns I buy as it is only a $5-$8 part and ensures smooth feeding. Clean any dirt/carbon off of the follower and out of the interior of the magazine tube.

I like to polish the chamber to enure smooth ejection. Take a cleaning rod and an old 12 gauge bore brush. Wrap it in fine steel wool, put some oil on it and spin it in a drill for a minute or two polishing the chamber. This is a gunsmith fix for hard extraction and a good measure to ensure smooth operation.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Most shotguns have less than 200 shells ever fired through them. A very small percentage of shotguns are ever fired more than that.

Knock the two pins out and drop out the trigger group. You can clean it better that way and inspect the parts. It's part of the field strip procedure.

Remove the magazine spring/follower by twisting the magazine tube off (takes a bit of effort). I like to replace the magazine spring on any used shotguns I buy as it is only a $5-$8 part and ensures smooth feeding. Clean any dirt/carbon off of the follower and out of the interior of the magazine tube.

I like to polish the chamber to enure smooth ejection. Take a cleaning rod and an old 12 gauge bore brush. Wrap it in fine steel wool, put some oil on it and spin it in a drill for a minute or two polishing the chamber. This is a gunsmith fix for hard extraction and a good measure to ensure smooth operation.

I don't knew that I'd do that unless there actually is a problem extracting. Why risk voiding the warranty to fix a non-issue?

I'd look at general wear levels, and bring a small flashlight to look down the bore for rough spots or dark rings from a bulged barrel. Also pay close attention to the muzzle, looking for chips or muzzle wear. Internals should have some wear, but not damage.

BSW

I don't know if you have experience with Mossys, but the forend has a pretty loose-feeling action to it. This is completely normal, and part of the durability designed-in. The action should feel smooth, but it won't be like silk -- it's more of a brute force type action than a precision one. There is a small tab on the lower left of the receiver, near the trigger guard, that you can depress to repeatedly cycle the bolt and action. (Again, sorry if you already knew that -- I don't know if you've used a 500 before.)

One of the things I like best is the top tang-mounted safety. Completely ambidextrous, and you don't have to remember if safe is "left" or "right" like with a Remington.

Just to throw this out there. Mossberg shotguns are among the most affordable made. I don't think you'll find the risk vs. reward factor worth it in buying used. These things can be picked up brand new very inexpensively from most any of the big box, chain sporting goods stores. Someone always seems to be having a sale on them.

As always, if you buy new you eliminate buying a weapon and getting someone else's issues. If you purchase it from Davidson's through your local dealer, you will also receive a Lifetime Free Replacement Warranty with the purchase. For the few extra lousy bucks it's going to run you, that's a lot of peace of mind. And you're getting a brand new gun too boot.

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I don't knew that I'd do that unless there actually is a problem extracting. Why risk voiding the warranty to fix a non-issue?

It's a used shotgun. I doubt there is a warranty. Polishing the chamber should be done on all shotguns. It doesn't damage anything and improves function. It's a win win. If you were to send your shotgun off to a gunsmith that specializes in shotguns (Wilson, Scattergun Tech, AIP Tactical Shotguns), they ALL polish the chamber as part of the reliability package.

Here is a good video on how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiWgo7QuYF8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back