Real world tests to show Amsoil is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine keeps preaching the Amsoil gospel to me saying that I need to run Amsoil or my vehicle will not last as long.

I have been using Mobil 1 5W-30 for years on my vehicles because:

1. More available than Amsoil
2. Costs less than Amsoil
3. Has dexos certification(since I own a GM)

I have asked Amsoil reps to show me REAL WORLD PROOF that Amsoil is better than Mobil 1, and all I get is testimonials and 4 ball wear tests [censored]. The documentation also shows that Amsoil is better than conventional oil, but not better than other manufacturer's synthetics.

I maintain that Mobil 1 and Amsoil are about on the same quality level and IF Amsoil had some magic elixir in the bottle the other makers would have found it out and started doing the same.

I maintain that if you do the maintenance required by the manufacturer at the intervals specified by the manufacturer, the components will give you years of trouble free use.

I don't want this to degenerate into a holy war of lubricants and I have to put on my flame retardant suit.

Mobile1 is mostly. Hydrcracked grp 3 oil base. Ofcourse Amsoil is superior and all group 4 base oil but unless u wanna installing a bypass system its gonna get contaminated just as fast and need changed. Of course you'll have to do the uoas or go crazy with concern with extended amsoil ocis. So I don't think its wort it. Dino at 5k oci offers me the best piece of mind and affordability. Or you could run a cheap synthetic like supertech for 7500 and be fine. Mobile1 isn't all that from what I've seen. Better synthetic oils out there for same price range.

Keep doing what you are doing.

I don't have a problem using Amsoil engine oil; but why bother getting into a 'this is better than that' Can he show you someone's car 'worn out' using mobil 1?

Any modern oil changed IAW reasonable intervals will give your vehicles years of trouble free service.

Last edited:
Only advantage I can see running Amsoil is for the longer oil change intervals and the willing to run extended oil changes though used oil analysis showing sufficient TBN and non-abnormal engine wear and leaks. Amsoil will perform like any other oil on the market if you follow vehicle manufacturer's intervals.

If I had larger pockets I would run Amsoil in place of conventional oil, but having UOA's done running conventional oil and OCI's at suggested intervals I see no reason to run an expensive boutique oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ronp
Mobile1 is mostly. Hydrcracked grp 3 oil base. Ofcourse Amsoil is superior and all group 4 base oil but unless u wanna installing a bypass system its gonna get contaminated just as fast and need changed. Of course you'll have to do the uoas or go crazy with concern with extended amsoil ocis. So I don't think its wort it. Dino at 5k oci offers me the best piece of mind and affordability. Or you could run a cheap synthetic like supertech for 7500 and be fine. Mobile1 isn't all that from what I've seen. Better synthetic oils out there for same price range.

I have never found any evidence that a Group IV synthetics protect BETTER than a Group III synthetics.

I get my Mobil 1 at Costco for $26 a 6 pack, so it's not that expensive. Amsoil wants like $10 a quart plus shipping.

Ok, by the numbers:

1. It is "Mobil 1", not Mobile 1.
2. There is more than one "Amsoil oil" just as there is more than one "Mobil 1" oil. Not all are the same composition.
3. Not all Amsoil oils are Group IV.
4. No one knows the exact composition of Mobil 1 since ExxonMobil does not tell, but reading the tea leaves in the MSDS show that it is a majority PAO composition.
5. What oil is better than Mobil 1 for the price and what criteria are you using to claim "better"? Name some and give prices and details.
6. How does a bypass filtration system remove the "contamination" better than a stock filter, and what contamination are you talking about exactly?

Have your buddy join BITOG and present his findings on both...

-Amsoil is the "best"
-Your car "won't last long without it"

Last edited:

Mobil 1 have many different formulations, some more with group 3 oil and some more with group 4. Some with equal amounts and also group 5 added. But there is little if any difference in quality these days between group 3 and group 4 oils performance wise.

Amsoil Signature Series used to be advertised as 100% PAO, but it is no longer because by their own MSDS they now use 30-60% group 3 oil. Their XL and OE lines are all group 3 oil (again you can look at their linked MSDS to confirm).

Amsoil SS has a huge additive pack, which helps it make those long OCI intervals they claim. It's good oil no doubt, but better? That is a highly subjective claim.

On my Silverado (2013 with the 5.3L and no oil consumption), I change the oil and filter twice a year (~6-7K).

I figure the engine will probably outlast the body if I keep the thing that long.

Sorry he believes the Amsoil propaganda. Tell him since he believes in Amsoil so much, just go ahead and use their signature series oil and do 25K intervals.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
PC price for some of their oils is < $6/qt;

Well OK, but only because you have pre-paid a portion of the cost through your PC membership. I could just as well say that I get M1 at Walmart for less at the register because I use a gift card I bought last year. Besides, even M1 EP is less than $6/qt at Walmart in the 5-quart jug.

And some of their oils? Which ones? Ones that are comparable to M1 EP?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Well OK, but only because you have pre-paid a portion of the cost through your PC membership. I could just as well say that I get M1 at Walmart for less at the register because I have a gift card I bought last year. Besides, even M1 EP is less than $6/qt at Walmart in the 5-quart jug.

I've seen Mobil 1 at Walmart on sale for $22 for the 5 quart jug. Still Costco is a better price for $26 for the 6 pack.

Well OK, but only because you have pre-paid a portion of the cost through your PC membership. I could just as well say that I get M1 at Walmart for less at the register because I use a gift card I bought last year. Besides, even M1 EP is less than $6/qt at Walmart in the 5-quart jug.

All I'm doing is correcting a misstatement.

A guy on here did 27K on ASM with a UOA. It isn't the right oil for everyone, but certainly not the wrong one either.

You could repost your 5K M1 OCIs on your V6 toyota; that is certainly a good advertisement for the competition (j/k)

Sometimes people's enthusiasm to discredit the oil is = to some people's enthusiasm to push it.

Last edited:
. 5. What oil is better than Mobil 1 for the price and what criteria are you using to claim "better"? Name some and give prices and details. 6. How does a bypass filtration system remove the "contamination" better than a stock filter said:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/graemlins/grin.gif[/IMG]

Any other synthetic that doesn't post elevated wear in uoas like m1 does.
By pass filters better.

Contamination would be dirt and wear metals and such. And in the case with m1 elevated____________you fill in the blank. Everybody knows the answer. Ofcourse imo
grin.gif

I've hardly ever used anything but M1 in the two Toyotas (except for a short deviation when CG was all the rage here on BITOG), I wonder when all that "elevated wear" is going to catch up with me?

So you're seeing "elevated wear" in a UOA? What PPM limits should I be looking for on my UOA results that indicate "elevated wear"? 15PPM? 20? 50? 500?

You could repost your 5K M1 OCIs on your V6 toyota; that is certainly a good advertisement for the competition (j/k)

Sometimes people's enthusiasm to discredit the oil is = to some people's enthusiasm to push it.

Nah, the 1MZ-FE is higher than that
wink.gif
The 1NZ-FE average is over 10,000.

Any other synthetic that doesn't post elevated wear in uoas like m1 does.

You're assuming that a cheap UOA is a good tool for measuring wear, which it is not.

Please provide some examples where engines died prematurely because they were lubricated with M1 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back