14 Mustang GT trackpack.....oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I've read enough to make my eyes pop out. My engine is internally the same as previous 5.0's, it just has a larger capacity 8-8.5 quarts and a heavy duty oil cooler. Ford recoomends 5w-50 Motorcraft synthetic. I also read that they recommend this because they assume the car will see track time. Other folks seem to think the cam phasers are affected by the oil weight and that they were tuned from Ford using 5/50. I tend to think it's recommended just for protection while running extended high rpms at the track generating much higher internal temps and loads.
With that said, I've read something consistently about Motorcraft 5/50 synthetic that I don't like. It shears off within 1000-1500 miles to bascially a 40 weight. Would I be better off running a 10/40 Penzoil synthetic, a 0/40 Mobil1 euro syn, Amsoil 10/40 AMO, Amsoil 5/50, or something else? Mine has seen one track event this year, possibly one more. I daily drive it and have 13k miles on it. I don't beat on the car (I'm 43 and pretty sane), but I ran it hard at the track and will probably make some dragstrip passes this fall. Thanks for any input, first post here, trying to not go as nuclear as all the reading makes one feel.

I am using the MC 5W50 and changing it every 5K miles on my Track Pack. I have warranty through 125K miles, so I'll keep using it until the warranty is up, then will probably switch to M1 0W40.

Amsoil makes a 5W50 specifically for the Track Pack, GT500, and GT Supercar applications.

Motorcraft 5w-50 is an excellent oil. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation instead of people like me. Stay right on the plan and keep good records at least during the warranty period.

If you plan to keep the car past the warranty you might consider a more aggressive fluid change schedule for all fluids.

QS does and Redline has a 5W50. Not sure on the approvals for the Redline oil.

For me it is easier to use the Motorcraft oil. I make sure there is at least a case in stock. However even at employee pricing it is still on the expensive side.

What about Edge 5W50. The new formula doesn't mention "Classic Car Formula" like it used to,so I wonder if it still has the boosted zddp that it was once marketed for?

Track pack cars have no power reducers, so if you over heat it will still give you full power, that's a big difference between yours and the stock 5.0 engine. I would think knowing that 5w50 shears quickly you could be better with Amsoil or Redline 1 10w40. Also Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40 is another choice.

There's also Mobil 1 15w50 if it's a summer only vehicle, although that's probably unnecessary. Look at the HTHS viscosity to compare which will be thicker in the bearings.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
...then will probably switch to M1 0W40.

If it was me I'd use the ole stand by. M1 0W-40 is one heck of a product, and without knowing real temps you don't know if you really need 50W.

It's right on my cap and showed no ill effects from 300 degree romps at Homestead...

Ford only recommends their own oil of course, the 5/50 syn, which also happens to be their most expensive, or one approved by them. I've seen great results through the years with the 5/20 semi Motorcraft, but quite a few folks aren't singing the same praises of the 5/50 full syn based on UOA reports. I figured if the Ford 5/50 shears to a 40 rather quickly, I'd rather just have a better quality 0/40 or 5/40 full synthetic in there.
Under warranty, I'm supposed to use either the Motorcraft or something with the Ford approval, which I know the Amsoil 5/50 has and possibly the Mobil 1 5/50. I drive it year around, during the winter, we see the single digits to teens at times.
I called Castrol about their 5/50 and was told by them it's formulated with two additives meant for older vehicle internals. I thought she said zinc and phosphate, but I may be wrong. She pretty much told me not to use it.
I was quoted $6.99 for the Motorcraft at a Napa, I do get a better deal working at a dealership (not Ford though).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
...then will probably switch to M1 0W40.

If it was me I'd use the ole stand by. M1 0W-40 is one heck of a product, and without knowing real temps you don't know if you really need 50W.

It's right on my cap and showed no ill effects from 300 degree romps at Homestead...

I might use that on the next oil change. The 9 quarts of MC 5W50 adds up quick. If I ever need the engine pulled under warranty I am going to get the 12 quart Ford Racing BOSS 302S pan.

One other option could be this:

qogfgg.jpg

Under $20 a gallon at WalMart.

I would continue to use an approved oil while under warranty. In this case, your choice is Motorcraft and Quaker State.

Originally Posted By: Redlinez
I was quoted $6.99 for the Motorcraft at a Napa, I do get a better deal working at a dealership (not Ford though).

They must be getting an awesome deal on it, 6.99/qt is less than dealer cost.

I was thinking he misquoted me. I gotta look into what other oil is approved besides Amsoil 5/50 and QS. I like the idea of Mobil 0-40.

I was thinking he misquoted me. I gotta look into what other oil is approved besides Amsoil 5/50 and QS. I like the idea of Mobil 0-40.

Getting it through to a lot of people that the car takes 5W50 is like an act of Congress. Lots of ignorance out there with other people that have the same job I do.

The recommended OEM Motorcraft synthetic is a fine oil and will hold up well despite the shearing
smile.gif

That said, any of the popular Euro 0w40's will probably suffice for your usage. A synthetic HDEO may also be good in these cars. I'd probably use either M1 0w40 or T6.

BMW's OEM Castrol 10w60 is also a shear monster.

Getting it through to a lot of people that the car takes 5W50 is like an act of Congress. Lots of ignorance out there with other people that have the same job I do.

I have a 2013 Mustang GT non track pack and last season the dealer said we will put in the recommended 5w20 for you and I said that's fine. The service mgr then said "can you believe some guys want a 5w50 weight oil in there Mustang!" I said yes the track pack cars recommend it. He looked at me like I was dumb and said "I don't believe that!" I just walked away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back