Aviation fluid in place of Shell Tellus 22 fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 of my bikes use mineral-oil based hydraulic disc brakes, and it looks like upon digging up a MSDS for Shimano's fluid it's Shell Tellus C - http://www.my-sds.co.uk/Admin/ViewDocume...imaryReportId=0

Aviation hydraulic fluid(NOT Skydrol, MIL-5606-H) seems to be close in viscosity and kinematic properties to the Shimano fluid - and a few guys have used Pentosin CHF7.1 or Castrol HSMO for Jaguar/Land Rover applications without issue, my question is will the aviation stuff work with the seals in the system and will the brakes work erratically with a thinner/thicker fluid or will it be like MaxLife ATF which it will stay in viscosity?

i have 2 applications that call for t-22. it is expensive, and for years have been using iso 32 fluid in its place. i am not in aviation.

I have a friend who uses ISO 32 fluid that comes in quart bottles. It's labeled for bottle jacks, but I don't remember the brand. I'll shoot him an email and let you know if I get a response.

Just a warning, different types of hydraulic fluids have different bases oils and additive packages and not all are compatible, even though they have close viscosities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back