Can MMO be substituted for gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a smaller tiller that I'll be putting away for the next couple years. I did followed the manual for long term storage by running the fuel tank empty. However, I do see a little bit of fuel left in tank as well as the fuel line. I really don't want to disassemble anything just to get that small bit of fuel out.

I'm thinking of using MMO to "flush" the fuel out before storing it by filling the tank just with a little bit of MMO and running the tiller until its gone. I'm thinking that way, the fuel doesnt deteriorate inside and will be replaced with the MMO.

What's everyone's thoughts about this?

I would buy some 2 cycle premix and pour in a cup and start it and let it run until its empty.

Its E0 with oil and stabilizer.

The worry is the gas still left in the fuel bowl in the carb.

Forget the MMO, its a lightweight oil, not gas.

Last edited:
Try what you are suggesting with MMO. Won't hurt anything and the oil film will be nice protection during storage.

My brother and I have been doing exactly what you propose for probably 40 years now. It works quite well in fact.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Use a can of TruFuel and fill the tank completely. That's what It's used for.

It depends. If you live where it is humid, full is better. If you live where I do, and 10% humidity is the norm, empty is arguably a better strategy.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My brother and I have been doing exactly what you propose for probably 40 years now. It works quite well in fact.

Ok...I just tried it. Now the tiller doesn't start. It normally starts on the 2nd pull. Looks like I'll have to dump the MMO out of the tank and put in regular fuel. I primed it with MMO going through the priming bulb and fuel line.

Hopefully, I don't have to take out the carb since its probably mostly MMO now.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: SpeedyG75VW

Ok...I just tried it. Now the tiller doesn't start. It normally starts on the 2nd pull. Looks like I'll have to dump the MMO out of the tank and put in regular fuel. I primed it with MMO going through the priming bulb and fuel line.

frown.gif

Long term storage, wasn't that the goal? Now you have to add gas to the tank start the engine, and repeat the process if you plan on long term storing the engine. I'd drain the carb bowl first.

do not run just plain mmo in the tank.

what was meant, i think if not here is another way to do it,treat fuel with mmo in a separate jug using the recommended dose on the label. mix this well

then add a small amount of the gasoline and mmo mix into your tiller and proceed to run it until it runs out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
I would buy some 2 cycle premix and pour in a cup and start it and let it run until its empty.

Its E0 with oil and stabilizer.

The worry is the gas still left in the fuel bowl in the carb.

Forget the MMO, its a lightweight oil, not gas.

+1 I like this idea.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Use a can of TruFuel and fill the tank completely. That's what It's used for.

I run my small engines on TruFuel toward the end of the season. It's very stable and contains no alcohol. If it didn't cost so much I would use it all season long.

frown.gif

Cedar Crest, Edgewood,Chilili,Torreon, Escobosa, is it Escobosa?

demarpaint said:
Ok...I just tried it. Now the tiller doesn't start. It normally starts on the 2nd pull.
why would you expect it to start without dumping the mmo? mmo is not fuel. Why would you try to start it? Jeepers!

The last time I put my '73 318 in storage for 6 years before finally giving it away, I "pickled" the engine by stalling it out with MMO trickled down the carb at idle, and then filling both of the carb float bowls by squirting MMO down the vent tubes until the remaining gasoline overflowed and the oil replaced most of it.

When I decided to give the car away, I put fresh gasoline in the tank, primed the carb with a few squirts of fresh gasoline in the float bowls, and it fired up after about 10 seconds of cranking. After the smoke-show cleared, it settled down to a perfect idle, drove perfectly with no hesitation or backfiring (accel pump worked perfectly). I would strongly recommend MMO as a carb preservative based on that experience. Oh, and this was a Carter Thermoquad- one of the most notoriously picky and sensitive carbs out there when it comes to seals going dry or swelling up due to incompatible chemicals.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
demarpaint said:
Ok...I just tried it. Now the tiller doesn't start. It normally starts on the 2nd pull.
why would you expect it to start without dumping the mmo? mmo is not fuel. Why would you try to start it? Jeepers!

I'm wondering why if you're putting an engine up for long term storage, went through the prep work involved in getting it ready, etc, why would you start it? At the end of the long term storage start the engine. Odds are all he'd have to do is a little but of extra cranking after fresh fuel is put in and the engine would fire up. It will smoke as someone already mentioned but it will start and it will run. Been there done that many, many times. I have a 15HP outboard sitting in my basement that was stored with the carb full of MMO. It will be 11 years this August since I last used it. If I decide to start it I will report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back