IRC tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's PC needs a front tire...one place locally has an IRC available. We've never heard of them...any good?

Size is an oddball 120/80-17.

IRC was the OEM tire on my Honda PCX125 scooter.. It worked well. Only issue was a nail but that had nothing to do with the quality of the tire.

I replaced it with a Michelin because it was 1 of 2 real names available when I had to replace it. The other was a Pirelli.

I just didn't want to buy a tire I had never heard of(IRC) but it did do a good job for me.

I've used IRC tires for years. They are typically lower quality than a name brand like dunlop. But, when fresh, they work more than well enough. Especially the knobbies and dual sport tires. The price/performance ratio is correct with IRC tires.

I would suggest a different brand, but I honestly do not have any facts to back up why..

Also, on Motorcyclesuperstore.com they only have 4 tires available in that size and 2 are IRC, 1 Metzler, and 1 Avon.. Only names that 2 wheeled enthusiasts will have heard of.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
There are much better choices out there, even in that size.

By PC, do you mean PC800?

1998 Honda Pacific Coast.

IRC are OE tires on many non-sporting motorcycles. I would not expect them to be remarkable in any way. I have never purchased them on purpose, but they came OE on one of my bikes. They would likely be suitable for the PC.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

OK, I had a 1990 model for years.

What do you have on there now?

I've ridden bikes with IRC tires, they were unremarkable in all aspects. Lower price, but along with that came lower grip, and lower longevity.

My family and friends in the Motorcycle business agree with that assessment.

Shinko is another manufacturer that makes tires to a price point. Like IRC, they aren't the best, but they're also not the worst.

A Metzler with a hole in it.
frown.gif

I would spend an extra $10-$20 and get one of the major brands if it was my wife, she's not a gambling hooligan like me....

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Shinko is another manufacturer that makes tires to a price point. Like IRC, they aren't the best, but they're also not the worst.

Totally not germane to this woman's Pacific Coast, but:
I don't know about most of the Shinko offerings, but they are The Heat for dragracing.

A Metzler with a hole in it.
frown.gif

The Metzler ME880 is probably the most popular replacement tire for the PC. The other tire that I used was the Dunlop K555. Both are available in front and rear sizes.

Avon is an option as well, but I have no experience with that tire. Not sure if you can get a matching rear tire with the Avon or the IRC.

The best all-around tire for the PC800 was the Dunlop K177... but was discontinued years ago. Of course.

IRC is a Japanese company with Indonesian ownership. Usually made in Japan. Nearly garbage.

My Honda 90 came with IRC tires from the factory. They suck.

If you need good cheap tires, I've heard that Shinko [South Korean; Yokohama tech] and Heidenau [former East German] are great.

Selection in that size is limited...Shinko doesn't have one. Metzeler is almost 3x the price of the IRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back