Should I use ancient AC Delco oil filter? Corvair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am at the yearly national Corvair Convention in Knoxville Tennessee, and my WIX filter got bent when my engine shifted back slightly and the result was oil oil everywhere.

I went to the Corvair parts vendors area and found a fellow selling 3 ancient genuine GM AC Delco oil filters. I paid $5 each for them, but before I put one on, I asked a few of the Corvair mechanics in attendance, and some said NOT to use them as the filter media has deteriorated and will block the oil passages in short order.

The alternative is a made in Taiwan filter for $7

Thoughts?

I have videos of the car and the oil oil everywhere at CORVAIRWILD on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD1rQ0WLZvw

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably wouldn't use them. What brand is the $7 filter? Is there any way someone could give you a ride to a nearby parts store?

Go buy a new filter. This isn't complicated. I'd suggest going to Napa and buying their "Gold" series filter. Or go to Walmart and buy a Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filter.

The $7 filter is a new improved made in Taiwan from the largest Corvair parts supplier. They are widely used. The older version had a mounting plate weld issue, it has been updated

Yes cellulose media gets brittle with age. For low milage vehicles you can use microglass filters like the Fram Ultra indefinitely without time being an issue.

Looks like stuck with the $7 Taiwan. You could open one of the Delcos to see how the media has held up. I haven't seen a Taiwan made oil filter. It's interesting a Corvair American collector car vendor would choose to sell $7 Taiwan filters when there are made in USA.

I personally think the old filters would still be OK unless their media & seals were deteriorated till they were brittle. You might want to sacrifice one to check.

That bad motor mount should be fixed as well.

Look at the 17 yo wix I just posted read details..... cracked adbv separated glue at the seam.... how old are these ancient filters?

My 65 corvair used a very unique oil filter, it looks like a spin on, but has a center bolt that goes through the aluminum engine mounting and has a fiber washer under the head. You'd be unlikely to find it at autozone.

I wanna hear how the transaxle shifted back
smile.gif

Here's how the filter deal went this eve... I installed one of the 3 filters I bot, cranker er up, and 30 seconds later it starts to leak from the gasket. A good amount, so I shut 'er down...

I retorked it, and still leaking a good waterfall amount...

Time for another filter from my dusty collection. A couple of Corvair guys at the national convention where I am, looked at the filter and thot the gasket was crooked, but it looked fine to me...

Filter #2 goes on, I rotate it to be sure it's not cocked or hanging up, and one of the very experienced Corvair mechanics looking over my shoulder cranks the bolt down REAL tite, and after running 30 minutes plus a few laps of the parking lot, all seems well.

Why did the first AC Delco filter leak and not the second? Good question. I inspected the filter gasket as well as the sealing area where the filter rides up against, and all seemed well. I'll be putting on a few miles on Friday, and I will report back

Filters back in the day were made much better than most filters are today. Rubber tends to shrink and lose shape with time. Maybe that first one you put on was sitting on top and exposed more to the elements??

I have run old filters on my cars plenty of times with no issues. Although like you did, it's always a good idea to run the engine for a while and check for leaks or drop in oil pressure for a few minutes when you install any old filter.

I would use the last one you got from him too, and BTW try to open the one that was leaking from the seal and post some pics here if you can.

Hah, it's the infamous Corvairwild, love your videos! Anyways that rubber gasket looked like it wasn't fit for this world before you put it on. If you can find the equivalent non-ecore AC Delco, that's what I'd be using. I remember 6 months ago they still had them at Advance when I bought several PF52's for our Chevy, but traded it in shortly thereafter (luckily I have a friend that has a 4.3 S-10 that could use them...). Although with that thing burning as much oil as it is and using that used engine oil, a Fram Orange can, or those old ones would do till you can get that thing rebuilt when you get home. I'd use a new filter with the rebuilds.

EDIT: Seems I've been mistaken. Upon further investigation it seems your options are limited. Seems like Wix makes an affordable one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JetStar
My 65 corvair used a very unique oil filter, it looks like a spin on, but has a center bolt that goes through the aluminum engine mounting and has a fiber washer under the head. You'd be unlikely to find it at autozone.

I wanna hear how the transaxle shifted back
smile.gif

I had a '65 Monza that had exactly this oil filter arrangement.
Fussy, fiddly and messy to R&R. I've also seen many Corvairs with what looks like a remote mounting that allows the use of a horizontally mounted spin-on filter. I assumed that this must have been aftermarket, but a couple of owners swore that it was factory.

I dont know how old the "ancient" filters are but I wouldn't want to take a chance that the paper media would hold up. You dont know how it has been stored either. I would go with the Taiwanese filter or look for another Wix like you had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back