Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say I anticipated that - but it didn't surprise me. I think my stock picks on purpose cover a jittery market. If EXM pops up again this AM I may be forced to sell the other half of my big purchase.

STM may be a buy today. Not that the charts say that, just the valuation.

Z - misery loves company. I'm just barely in the black, and only after Friday at considerable risk. My funds are down down, of course, most of my stocks are down.

I'm back on the closed end income fund kick. I'm starting to make some rules.

Cool site: ETF/Closed End Trading Info Center

I own two now (EHI and LBF), may buy more:

JPS
GIF
KHI
MTS
BDF

Proposed rules:

1) Must have a discount (NAV to Share price) of greater than 5%, prefer over 10% (currently rare).
2) Must be known and have a decent (?) trading volume.
3) Must have high current relative to market conditions, currently should be be over 6%, prefer 7-8%
4) Sell quick if we go into hyperinflation interest rate jumps (take the short term loss rather than hold for years) UNLESS there is some sign of temporary conditions.
5) Funnel income back to cash position (Money Market) - but consider share buying with income as a good option.
6) Watch the ex-dividend and payment dates while buying and selling.

Also some more rules:

7) Watch the expense ratios. Most are under 1%, some are .6-.7 (but some are over 1.5%!) I obviously look at the whole picture here, with rule # 1-3 taking precedence.
8) Know the maturity to know the rate risks.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
holy bat crap - ADM!! who knew!

Holy Smokes, good stuff, I hadn't checked all day. Boy that sure make the rest of the down stuff not seem so bad!!!

I'm in at 14.95. I started watching this stock when it was around 9-10 dollars, but when Neil George recommended it, I jumped on it. Good thing!!

It was a good day today, GLW up 46 cents as was all my holdings. Best day of the year for me, but that's not saying a whole lot...
grin.gif

They call this a relief rally, and man am I relieved......
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TheLoneRanger:
It was a good day today, GLW up 46 cents as was all my holdings. Best day of the year for me, but that's not saying a whole lot...
grin.gif

They call this a relief rally, and man am I relieved......
cool.gif

I would be nice to see GLW break out of this trading range to new highs. It's been between 10-12 most of the time. I'm hanging in there with GLW

quote:

I would be nice to see GLW break out of this trading range to new highs. It's been between 10-12 most of the time. I'm hanging in there with GLW

Yeah msparks, me too. It popped yesterday because of a debt upgrade by Moodys. GLW also had a trade question favorably resolved in China. The stock was once close to $100. I think they're a beaten down company that has a good chance to eventually recover.

quote:

We can live with the promise that tomorrow will suck and then we die. Buy low, sell high.

Pablo, you're a poet and don't know it......
grin.gif

[ January 19, 2005, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: TheLoneRanger ]

Took a hit today!
mad.gif
Back into bad habits of avoiding the obvious!

If the indexes are down again tomorrow there will be blood in the streets.

Yeah, there was a sell-off in the S&P futures in the last hour. No major damage done yet, unless the Dow drops below about 10400.

I could smell fear today though, I think it was mine....

Pablo, GLW was down less than it went up yesterday, so the uptrend is still intact. Hope it works out for us.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back