Coked Rings & Oil Burning Reduction Experiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Turk
Another update:

Changed from PYB to Castrol Edge Gold Bottle.
Ran it 400+ miles since then and it's down just 2-3 ounces.

The Kreen clean looks to be holding & it's doing well on the Edge!

Keep those updates coming! I'm really glad things worked out for you!!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Another update:

Hey thanks Frank; just when I was thinking nobody was interested anymore.....

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Another update:

Hey thanks Frank; just when I was thinking nobody was interested anymore.....

Like I said buddy keep'em coming. Short term results are easy to post. How a product does for the long haul is what really matters to me.

Do you plan on doing maintenance doses, or yearly treatments? I'm interested in your plan going forward. Thanks!

Hey, I'm reading, too. I need my fix!
13.gif

If consumption rates increase later in the OCI it doesn't necessarily mean what he did hasn't helped. It's already proven to have, yet it may indicate the underlying cause is still troublesome and prompt a 2nd cleaning or another COA; such as oil fill choice to address consumption if the rings can get more life back into them from here.

De-coking oil additives? Idle flush? More in-tank cleaners like Kreen? A HDEO like Rotella T6?
21.gif

I can't recall immediately but was the PCV valve ever changed in this app and the system functioning well? That will only hurt consumption due to blow-by.

^ LOL!!

The reduced oil burning stayed linear throughout the run of PYB 5w-30.

I switched over to Castrol Edge Gold Bottle, as I am more of a user of high quality Synthetics, even though PYB is top shelf Dino. Plus, I have to start using my MASSIVE stash of Edge, M1 AFE & M1 EP from the Autozone $1 a Quart haul!
thumbsup2.gif

Needless to say, the 15,000 mile Edge will stay in for a much longer TBD mileage run. No plans on running another "Kreen clean" unless it creeps back up later.

The PCV has been changed 4,000 miles ago and was in before & after it was burning a lot of oil, + I cleaned it out with Carb/Injector Cleaner recently, being the OCD person I am...
grin.gif

^ LOL!!

The reduced oil burning stayed linear throughout the run of PYB 5w-30.

I switched over to Castrol Edge Gold Bottle, as I am more of a user of high quality Synthetics, even though PYB is top shelf Dino. Plus, I have to start using my MASSIVE stash of Edge, M1 AFE & M1 EP from the Autozone $1 a Quart haul!
thumbsup2.gif

Needless to say, the 15,000 mile Edge will stay in for a much longer TBD mileage run. No plans on running another "Kreen clean" unless it creeps back up later.

The PCV has been changed 4,000 miles ago and was in before & after it was burning a lot of oil, + I cleaned it out with Carb/Injector Cleaner recently, being the OCD person I am...
grin.gif

My kind of guy.
banana2.gif
lol

I gotta run a top-end cleaner through this new to me Fit. 160k miles nearly and I'm sure the PO (a lady no offense) I doubt ever had the throttle body cleaned.
33.gif

Usually, I'll buy a can of Power Foam from Amsoil and do a combustion chamber soak on top of the pistons and during ingestion it's cleaning the intake anyway. Plus, EGR gets some love and I can use some of the cleaner to wipe down the throttle plate itself while I let it soak.
thumbsup2.gif
I only do those types of top-end cleaners literally just before I change the oil so I get to see how much carbon gets loosened into the drained oil. Some idle oil flushes I've had similar results for carbon removal; compared to a drain of oil without any sort of cleaner added.

Also, I meant to say a crankcase additive like Kreen in my previous post. Not sure what an in-tank cleaner would do for coked oil rings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

My kind of guy.
banana2.gif
lol

I gotta run a top-end cleaner through this new to me Fit. 160k miles nearly and I'm sure the PO (a lady no offense) I doubt ever had the throttle body cleaned.
33.gif

Usually, I'll buy a can of Power Foam from Amsoil and do a combustion chamber soak on top of the pistons and during ingestion it's cleaning the intake anyway. Plus, EGR gets some love and I can use some of the cleaner to wipe down the throttle plate itself while I let it soak.
thumbsup2.gif
I only do those types of top-end cleaners literally just before I change the oil so I get to see how much carbon gets loosened into the drained oil. Some idle oil flushes I've had similar results for carbon removal; compared to a drain of oil without any sort of cleaner added.

Also, I meant to say a crankcase additive like Kreen in my previous post. Not sure what an in-tank cleaner would do for coked oil rings.

Nice..... Amsoil PI, Redline or Techron will do ya just fine.
thumbsup2.gif

In-tank cleaner won't do much at all on the lower oil control ring, but should attack anything at/near the top ring.

LOVE the Power Foam thru the PCV hose. Gotta do that again, soon!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My daughter 2006 Volvo V70 with 16x,xxx miles consumes up to 1 quart or more per 1k miles, I changed the PCV system(Volvo calls it Flame Trap) but it didn't slow the oil consumption rate. I also tried Rislone engine treatment 3 times and this didn't do much either.

I like to try Kreen but the problem is they don't ship it to California for environmental reason, I know that California is so weird because we are ran by extreme liberals(much more liberal than Minnesota and New York).

My brother is in Arizona, I may have to have Kreen ship to my brother home then he ships it to my home, paying shipping twice.

I'd try a quart of MMO, or a pint of Seafaom in the oil to see if it helps. They are a bit thinner and stronger solvents than Rislone to try and free up rings potentially. Much cheaper, too.

I will say this, multiple MMO and Seafoam treatments did not touch the oil burning in my Oldsmobile 3.5L. Kreen has touched it, but only a little. Went from about 300 miles/qt to about 500 miles/qt and climbing over a 3,000 mile OCI. I have fresh T5 10w30 with a pint of kreen right now, and will be adding another pint in 1k miles as well as monitoring consumption.

Update time. Car was in storage but now out & running.
smile.gif

I drove the '98 SC2 Red Hot 900 miles lately & checked the oil. To get it back to where I filled it prior to the check, it took 9 Oz.

So, the reduced oil burning is staying steady at 1 Oz. per 100 miles.

Pre-Kreen Oil Burning was
: 16 Oz. per 200-250 miles.

Kreen worked and the oil burning is staying low.

Update time. Car was in storage but now out & running.
smile.gif

I drove the '98 SC2 Red Hot 900 miles lately & checked the oil. To get it back to where I filled it prior to the check, it took 9 Oz.

So, the reduced oil burning is staying steady at 1 Oz. per 100 miles.

Pre-Kreen Oil Burning was
: 16 Oz. per 200-250 miles.

Kreen worked and the oil burning is staying low.

Good to hear you're having long term positive results.

Just wondering why you did not put some power foam directly in th cylinder and let it set overnight
Put the plugs back in changed the oil then take for a quick run on the highway??

When I was younger I remember seeing some mechanics filling the crankcase with diesel set it set over night
Then changed the oil/filter they told me it would remove all the slug leaving the internals clean

Originally Posted By: minis
Just wondering why you did not put some power foam directly in th cylinder and let it set overnight
Put the plugs back in changed the oil then take for a quick run on the highway??

When I was younger I remember seeing some mechanics filling the crankcase with diesel set it set over night
Then changed the oil/filter they told me it would remove all the slug leaving the internals clean

My Kreen treatment was my personal decision for a first round.

When I got these results, why would I do what you mentioned??

how many miles since the treatment?
when i had my corolla and did kreen piston soaks, they completely stopped oil consumption for about 5,000 miles and it slowly came back after that. but i started at lower consumption about 1 qt per 1,500-2,000 miles.

I believe the OP has not performed a piston soak, only drive around flush. I have the same engine and have been doing idle flushes at oil change with some improvement.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
how many miles since the treatment?
when i had my corolla and did kreen piston soaks, they completely stopped oil consumption for about 5,000 miles and it slowly came back after that. but i started at lower consumption about 1 qt per 1,500-2,000 miles.

About 3,700 miles. Burning amount hasn't budged. Running Castrol Edge Ext. Performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back