Using the parking brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was something taught to me when I first learned to drive and I've just been doing it since. From what I understand, it supposedly takes some load off the automatic transmission's parking prowl; but I just do it out of pure habit. The only times I don't set it are on very cold nights since the release sometimes sticks in the morning. I've never had an issue with the parking brake cables wearing out due to use in my cars.

Does anyone else use their parking brake a lot?

Every single car, every single time, manual or auto.

When I forget due to being extremely tired, I always experience a sensation almost like falling when I lift off of the brake pedal (motion of the car until the the parking pawl is engaged,) and then look down and realize my mistake.

I know tons of people who never use the e-brake in their autos without issues, but that disengagement of the pawl shifting from park on a hill always sounds horrendous to me!

I like to shift into neutral and let the vehicle relax before engaging park.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Every single car, every single time, manual or auto.

When I forget due to being extremely tired, I always experience a sensation almost like falling when I lift off of the brake pedal (motion of the car until the the parking pawl is engaged,) and then look down and realize my mistake.

I know tons of people who never use the e-brake in their autos without issues, but that disengagement of the pawl shifting from park on a hill always sounds horrendous to me!

Same here, couldn't agree more. I cringe everytime with the hill sound or flatbed.

I use it in my car, but only on unlevel surfaces. In the garage I don't use it, but in a parking lot or the driveway with a slant I do use it.

I only use when I jack the car up. I park on flat surfaces pretty much 100% of the time.

I started this habit after worrying about metal particles from an over stressed pawl on hills getting into the ATF. I'm not entirely sure if the pawl is submerged in ATF, but that's where my habit began when I was 16.

My dad is heavily against it. One time I drove his truck pulling a heavy duty trailer plus an XJ12. We parked on an incline, so I put the truck in 4wd (my reasoning was to displace stress over 4 tires rather than 2, and set the hand brake.

My dad, dumbfounded (and has a few anger issues) exploded in anger on why I was trying to lock the wheels up. I think he meant was a stuck hand brake that won't release.

In short, not many people use hand brakes on autos

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
Originally Posted By: supton

+1!!

Make that +2. Always on my personal vehicles. The only time I don't use the parking brake is when I'm returning a pool vehicle at work - most people won't use the parking brake, and won't notice if it's engaged.

On an incline....or decline....after I pull into a parking space, I put the transmission into neutral, engage the emergency brake and then shift into park. When I leave the parking space on the incline or decline....I start up the car, shift into neutral from park and with my foot on the brake, release the emergency brake before shifting into drive.

IMO....this takes a lot of pressure off of the transmission by avoiding the clunks and bangs in the automatic when shifting.

I use it pretty much every time I Park. Sometimes I put it into park and let my foot off the brake just until I feel the prawl grab then I hold the brake and engage the parking brake. I like to think of it as sharing the load of the hill between the parking brake and transmission.

With this method I never have hard shifts from park to drive.

I use the neutral rest and parking brake method on flat surfaces.

It's funny the little things we do without thinking about unless someone asks.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I only use when I jack the car up. I park on flat surfaces pretty much 100% of the time.

Same here... BUT rarely use parking brake even if I am parked on hill, in almost 49 years of vehicle ain't busted a parking pawl yet... I will parking use brake on hill if I'm driving a stick...

If a vehicle is on a reasonably flat surface I don't use it. There's simply no good reason to do so. If it's parked on a hill then I'll use the parking brake.

Originally Posted By: supton

Me too, takes pressure off park pawl. In salt country, constant use of park brake keeps cables free. It is not pleasant to be under a car freeing up a stuck cable in sub-zero temps.

Originally Posted By: Nyati
My wife sets it every time. Drives me nuts.

Smart wife.

I use mine all the time. The only time I don't use it is the VERY RARE occasion when someone might drive my car, I'll leave it off so they don't drive off with it still engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back