2003 Escape Brake Issues after Suspension Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Ford Escape Limited has started making some front disc brake noise (either a high pitched squeal or deep rubbing noise) and this all started after I had the following parts installed:
Dorman Control Arms
Monroe Quick struts (Front)
Monroe OE Spectrum Shocks (rear)
Moog Coil Springs (rear)

The brakes that were on before the work was done were Wagner Thermo Quiet pads with Wearever Rotors with around 15,000 miles on them and never made any noise. To attempt to correct the noise I have completely disassembled the disc brakes, cleaned everything thoroughly, lubricated the pins and all contact points, and even did a warranty swap on the pads and rotors to see if it would make a difference. The noises are still there. My cousin (experienced mechanic) performed the suspension work and will be going over everything with me this weekend to see what the issue could be. I find it extremely weird that all of this noise only started happening after the control arm and strut work and hasn't responded to cleaning, lubrication, and pad/rotor replacement. Does anyone know if the control arms or struts could be causing this noise and how? Maybe any other ideas on what else to inspect?

Thank you very much to anyone who takes the time to read this and/or offers advice.

PS - I have attached a picture from today when I noticed some odd rotor wear. Seems like the inner rotor is not making contact with the pad. I replaced the long outer clips today with Wearever and the noises remain.
http://postimg.org/image/ds3k3ghkv/

Start up procedure for my L111 20 HP twin John Deere.
Throttle to ~ 1/3 and choke lever full up. Blades disengaged. When engine starts, slowly move chock to low/off position. Engage blade lever slowly while at ~ 1/4 to 1/3 throttle.
Mow at full throttle and adjust mower speed with the transmission. To reverse mower, lower engine speed and stop mower. Push small button on the lower left of the steering wheel and use the reverse pedal to run mower in reverse. To manual move the mower in reverse, pull the lever out at the back of the transmission. Failure to do this will cause problems John Deere says. Push lever in to return to engine operation. Thant is all I know except check oil and tire pressure. Ed

Take a look at the backing plate , I thought that had one that wrapped around and deflected heat from the ball joint.

I actually checked that today when I replaced the caliper clips. From what I know and could see, it seemed perfectly straight and installed correctly. Thanks for the input

I had the same thing after some brake work on my 2003 Tribute, and was the backing plate that looked straight, but was just a bit out of line and rubbed.

I know you have checked yours, but that is what it sounds like....

I will have to do some research on how it is supposed to sit. If it was the plate, wouldn't the brakes make the noise full time? Mine only seem to do it once they warm up a bit and even then sometimes they just won't make the noise. Never the less thank you!

"...this all started after I had the following parts installed:..."

Could it be possible that the shop mistakenly swapped the left side rotor with the right side rotor? The wear pattern and runout difference could be causing the problem. Or perhaps they accidentally swapped the left and right side brake pads?

Last edited:
Brake noise means a.) The caliper is not compressing and/or re-opening smoothly and evenly, and/or b.) the pad is tilting, pivoting, or otherwise not moving properly.

Alignment was performed after the suspension work with no change in the noise. And about the pad or rotor swap, I put all new pads and rotors on trying to fight the noise since all the parts were still under warranty so the old parts are gone. I can only think at this point it is a caliper that picked a bad time to randomly go out or I am missing something with the backing plate. Thanks for everyone's reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back