F1 - 2015 Austrian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gofast182
We are in the midst of the most expensive formula ever along with the highest operating costs ever. If teams were going to say that's enough, they would've already.

That's a rather naive way of thinking. What you are saying is that any team who can bear the costs of today's F1, must therefore be able to bear all costs in the future, regardless of how they escalate.

We already have the back-markers struggling to survive and having no hope of being competitive. Renault are mulling their future. If Honda don't start improving they will surely pull the plug on an expensive folly (they have form in this regard). The biggest OEMs in the world aren't even participating.

When the benefits are so marginal, the costs of developing a workable differentiation are massive and require significant infra-structure investment. The response in the past has been to plaster new regulations over old ones to stifle break-away performance and now the regulations are impenetrable. Not to forget, the main stakeholders in all this are the sponsors, not the fans. They don't want cars failing to finish or trailing around at the back. Any team that does this will quickly lose their sponsors, which means less funding, which means less development, which means less performance......

No, that's not what I said. I'm saying that given the changes that are being contemplated/talked about the next [all] new formula will not be as expensive (or complicated) as this one.

I never thought I would say this, but I am just not excited by F1 anymore. The cars just do nothing for me. I guess I am an auditory person, but the engines sound lame. You know it is a bad thing with IndyCar engines sound better than F1 engines.

I don't mind the DRS, but they need to drop the hybrid thing and go to a formula that allows a rev limited turbo V6 along with non limited V8s and V10s.

As far as looks, the noses still look weird. I would like to see the rear wings be wider. They should allow the rear double diffuser and blown diffusers. Allowing innovation like that drives engineers to make a better product.

I personally think one of the best looking cars ever was the Brawn BPG-001. That car with a rear wing that would either go the entire width of the rear, or around midway on the rear tyres would look ideal.

Originally Posted By: weasley
We already have the back-markers struggling to survive and having no hope of being competitive.

That's kind of the way it's always been. Sir Frank's on his second go around. But, that's the difference between someone who's committed and willing to learn versus someone who's in there for short term glory.

I know that costs have to be contained, but we do have to watch. This is supposed to be the ultimate in racing. If a constructor can't handle it, they're free to go elsewhere. Of course, it's hard to compete with the money of Ferrari and MB. I don't know what the answer is. Perhaps limit how much money the parent company can contribute. Of course, that would be exceedingly difficult to enforce in practice, but I guess there is no easy answer.

I'd certainly love to see more engine options allowed. That could open things up.

On the flip side, I am in full support of hybrids in endurance racing. I think that is more in the spirit of endurance racing as opposed to the sprint type racing of F1.

The WEC's formula allowing different hybrid options at different power levels is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back