2015 Tacoma, 1,500 miles, Amsoil Signature 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought this vehicle in March 2015, and this is already my second UOA on this vehicle. I changed the factory fill at 1,000 miles, and drew a sample for a UOA (that's represented by the 5/1/2015 column). I have since driven another 1,500 miles, for a total of 2500 on the vehicle. I drew a sample, then changed it again.

Let's get this out of the way: Yes, this oil could have gone *much* longer. Yes, it's a waste of money to do UOAs at this point. I am doing it simply to satisfy my curiosity on the break-in process. I am providing the data here for those that might be interested.

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Note the Sodium - there is still a significant amount left over from the factory fill. It will be interesting to see how many changes it takes to get this completely out.

I suspect the copper is coming from the engine oil cooler - this Tacoma has the optional towing package installed, which comes with an engine oil cooler mounted right under the oil filter. The silicon I am sure is from internal sealers - Toyota seems to love silicone sealers in its engines - I've seen this on several other of their engines.

Incidentally, the filter was a Mobil 1 M1-209.

Sure, it's a waste, but I can't say I don't like reading. Blackstone's comment to extend the Signature Series out to 2,000 miles is worth the price of admission alone!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Sure, it's a waste, but I can't say I don't like reading. Blackstone's comment to extend the Signature Series out to 2,000 miles is worth the price of admission alone!
wink.gif

You beat me to it,
whistle.gif

Amsoil SS for breaking in an engine...interesting choice

Even the biggest Amsoil fanboi would probably choose OE until things are broken in nice and then switch to SS for extended OCI's

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Amsoil SS for breaking in an engine...interesting choice

Even the biggest Amsoil fanboi would probably choose OE until things are broken in nice and then switch to SS for extended OCI's

pppssstt break in oil or motorcycle oil

if only i could run around and collect all the FF's dumped i wouldnt need to buy oil ever again.

Wait, wait hold the horses.. You mean I can go over 2,000 plus miles on Amsoil Signature Series !! Holy cow that's AWESOME !
25.gif

Just follow the OLM and use a good Dino (penzoil, valvoline, chevron etc) and the truck will out last you. Take your next UOA at 200k and see how it's doing.

Other than the obvious I can't think of much else to say that hasn't been stated., What really was the goal on this specific UOA? I can understand the curiosity of a UOA on the Factory Fill. However, what more would you want to see of Amsoil SS 5w-30 here compared to say it in a VOA? This is essentially Virgin Amsoil with some wash out of break-in wear metals.

Honestly, no oil should be dumped that fast, but if the idea is a couple of short 'wash out' OCIs for break-in great. However, this is a crying shame of waste for an extended oil. What is the idea with using it over their OE or XL line?

OK, let me try to address the questions/comments:

1) My main purpose in changing so early is to flush out the break-in metals and contaminants. This oil change was at 2500. I plan to do another at 5,000. Then, 10,000 miles. At that point, I will be changing it every 10,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first (which will probably be mileage for me)

2) I went ahead and used Amsoil signature even for these short drain intervals, because that is what I plan to use for the life of the vehicle, barring any unforseen circumstances. Three of my four vehicles are on the same oil and viscosity. Plus, I don't like using a formulation different from what I plan to use on a permanent basis. You can still see in this UOA some of the additives (Sodium in particular) from the break-in oil. It will take several changes for all this to wash out.

By washing out the engine with the oil I plan to use on a permanent basis, on subsequent UOAs, I will know exactly what I should be seeing on the subsequent UOA results. For example, Sodium is often present in oil when there is an internal coolant leak. By getting all the sodium out from the break-in oil, and using the same oil for the short runs, I will know then that any indication of sodium is indeed due to a coolant leak and not an additive from an earlier forumulation used. This is just an example.

I am quite aware that all this is unnecessary, and a waste of money. Yes, the truck would last for 200K+ if I did none of this stuff. I do this simply out of curiosity and interest, and am sharing it here simply out of a spirit of sharing. Perhaps this data would convince someone else not to bother with a regimen like this - or perhaps the opposite.

Besides, this is BITOG. Perhaps even on the BITOG continuum I am still on the extreme end of the Obsessive-Compulsive and Anal-retentive scale
laugh.gif

You are good
smile.gif

I just was thinking about Blackstone's comment. It was just really funny. I don't think who typed it was totally thinking about what they were saying.
I think it's fine to do what you feel like YOU want too. To me it is about individual choice in this instance. Which I am all right with
smile.gif

I bought a new Frontier in January. I dumped the FF at 1k as shown in my signature. I replaced it with PYB and a Nissan filter. I cut open the filter and it looked fine. The dealer gave me a free oil change at 5k using bulk Mobil Clean 5000 so I have had a 1k OCI and a 4k OCI to date. I will be changing the oil at 5k mile intervals with whatever conventional oil Bi-Mart puts on sale until my warranty expires. After that I will go Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and Fram Ultra filters every 10k. For giggles I may do a UOA for my last conventional oil run and my first 10k synthetic run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back