Interesting TR test of a RFT with results

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
A long while back we had a discussion on runflats where their actual use in the 50 miles at 50 MPH type performance was discussed. It was mentioned in that thread that the tires do sacrifice themselves during that use by overheating and essentially self-destructing such that by the end the tire is no longer serviceable and MUST be replaced.

I was reading the reviews on the Primacy MXV4 tires on our new Odyssey, and found that they compared them to a Bridgestone RFT tire. The results when they ran the RFT tire without air were interesting to see...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=186

summary: they still suck.

worse at everything than an OEM tire and 5.5% fuel economy hit

only positive was slight improvement in handling/steering

which is negated by feeling like you are on concrete tires going over expansion joints.

And don;t forget, the Driveguard is probably the best runflat tire out there, and was specifically designed for cars not originally equipped with them.

OE runflats are much worse!

Completely unrelated ...

It may have been a rumor as a means to scare people away, but don't run flat tires have a special bead to them or something?

Meh, MDW once drove her bug 35 miles on a flat rear tire. Any bad tire, can be driven on, slowly and carefully. Sure, the tire and the wheel will suffer, but you should be able to drive to a safe place.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Completely unrelated ...

It may have been a rumor as a means to scare people away, but don't run flat tires have a special bead to them or something?

No.

The special-bead tires were Michelin's PAX, and a few 80s tires like Michelin's TRX and Dunlop's Denloc.

Originally Posted By: Rand
summary: they still suck.

worse at everything than an OEM tire and 5.5% fuel economy hit

only positive was slight improvement in handling/steering

which is negated by feeling like you are on concrete tires going over expansion joints.

The point was to show the ageing and degradation behaviors of an RFT run flat. It is already well known that they aren't great. Im planning on swapping the RFT tires on my 135i to PSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back