how many use lucas? What about seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is one better? another namebrand? Wasting my money?

I'm not computer savvy so if this has been posted let me know I'll delete. I do not want to beat a dead horse, as the old saying goes

thanks
BD

What Lucas product?

Lucas oil stabilizer is nothing except high viscosity oil. There is little use for it.

Seafoam is a solvent blend meant for cleaning.

What are you wanting to accomplish?

Lucas is a giant waste of money. Lucas oil or transmission additives are oil thickeners nothing much else. Adding them will dilute the additives in the sump if you're using quality products already.

Lucas fuel additives contain no PEA which is the most desirable thing in a in a fuel system cleaner. Gumout, Redline, Techron and many others contain PEA.

Seafoam has some limited use but generally not needed.

Look at the label. Lucas fuel additive is labelled first and foremost as Upper Cylinder Lubricant, not an injector cleaner.

Many people report their butt dyno feels that their engine runs smoother after adding additive xyz, but then in the next tank the effect is gone. These folk are probably feeling the benefits of the UCL rather than anything getting cleaned (it makes no sense that "cleaned" injectors are immediately gunked up within a gallon of their untreated fuel).

So if what you want is a UCL, then the lucas product is what you should get. It is priced right, especially at the gallon size.

If you're buying Lucas UCL thinking it's going to do a ton of cleaning, then that's on you for buying the wrong product.

That's like buying a no fat, frozen yogurt and wondering why it doesn't taste as smooth and creamy as ice cream.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Lucas has a nice racetrack and pretty billboards.

Other than these what else does it have ?

There are few additive companies I trust: Liqui-Moly, Lubeguard and few others(I don't remember the names).

I use a fuel treatment by Lucas when I think of it before I go for a fill up. I've got a big jug of it I got on sale and figured what the heck. Probably won't hurt and may marginally help.

Last edited:
Gumout Multi System Tune Up (in the can shaped like Seafoam) worked wonders for me on my Focus. It eliminated the occasional hard starts and smoothed out the idle all the way. I run that about every 10,000 miles or so.

I had a spare can of Seafoam that I used in my car and it didn't change the aforementioned issues.

I don't use either product. Don't see the use for them if the car is well maintained with quality lubricants.

I'm no fan of mouse milk but a shot of Lucas in the tank keeps the carb floats on my BMW bike from sticking. I doubt it does anything else. Perhaps it makes the petcock a little smoother, and keeps the
needles from hanging up but that's just a supposition.

I'm no fan of snake oils either, but this has been my experience:

I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra that I bought new.
4.7 V8 with around 225,000 miles now.
About once a year or so, it gets a rough idle.
I add a can of Seafoam to the gas tank and within 2 minutes the idle is smooth again and stays that way for at least a year.

Of course, YMMV.

I filled up my wife's gas tank and put a can of Seafoam in it. The car sat 7 months and upon our return ran perfectly. It's a great fuel stabilizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back