Delo LE 5w-30 or GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking to step up the quality of oil in my ecoboost to help prevent the timing chain issues like some are having. Currently have 37K on the clock, still under powertrain warranty but my truck does not see the dealer much. I'm debating on running GC 0w-30 in it since its a high HTHS oil but is a pain to get around here except for a trip to AAP 30 minutes away. I recently found DELO 5w30 that is SN rated and has a HTHS of 3.5.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=384346&docFormat=PDF

Since I dont go to the dealer much anyway which one would you run? I could skip either and go to M1 0w-40 but would like to stay with a heavy 30 if possible. The DELO would be $5.50/qt, GC 5.50qt, M1 $5qt approximately, so not much price difference.

Sorry for being a noob on this topic, but what is it about these oils that you mentioned that will help prevent timing chain issues? Is it the higher HT/HS viscosity? If so, any of these that you mentioned should work. M1 0w-40 has the strongest add pack of the three, if that matters at all.

Since you want to stay 30 grade, Delo.
Add a quart of the synthetic 5W40 inplace of a quart of 5W30 and make it a really heavy 30; 12.1cSt

I plan on buying a EcoBoost Explorer next year and M1 0W40 is what its gonna get.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Sorry for being a noob on this topic, but what is it about these oils that you mentioned that will help prevent timing chain issues? Is it the higher HT/HS viscosity? If so, any of these that you mentioned should work. M1 0w-40 has the strongest add pack of the three, if that matters at all.

Thicker oil/HTHS to help combat fuel dilution and shearing of the oil. Granted theres been no proof that either are directly causing the problem but something is causing a problem on some.

Plus were on BITOG, isn't this what we do.
grin.gif

The Delo LE is a low phosphorous lube, too, not to mention having the higher HTHS, and is SN. While possibly not quite within Ford's actual specification, at least you might have an easier argument under the unlikely event something went wrong.

That data sheet is all messed up for some reason, but I know what the product is. It may have some PAO in it, but I wouldn't bank on it. Chevron had mentioned some time ago they weren't using PAO in their HDEOs. However, that was when talking about their 5w-40, and perhaps the 5w-30 LE presented different challenges.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That data sheet is all messed up for some reason, but I know what the product is. It may have some PAO in it, but I wouldn't bank on it. Chevron had mentioned some time ago they weren't using PAO in their HDEOs. However, that was when talking about their 5w-40, and perhaps the 5w-30 LE presented different challenges.

I know the 5w-40 has different ingredients listed and is mostly straight up group III.

When I click the link it shows up just fine. Heres the ingredients:

COMPONENTS CAS NUMBER AMOUNT
Highly refined mineral oil (C15 - C50) Mixture 30 - 60 %weight

1-Decene, tetramer, mixed with 1-decene, trimer, hydrogenated 68649-12-7, 0 - 30 %weight PAO??

01154100-5221P Trade secret 0 - 10 %weight

Carboxyllic Acid Ester Proprietary 0.5 - 1.5 %weight

Branched alkylphenol 74499-35-7 0.1 - < 1 %weight

Dodecylphenol, mixed isomers 27193-86-8 0.1 - 1 %weight

Last edited:
It's very well possible. I'm always a little cautious with reading too much into an MSDS, but this type of low phosphorous HDEO might bring about different challenges, as I noted. I don't know why it didn't show up well for me, but such is life. I haven't come across it up here yet, but haven't looked that hard, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back