Dreamliner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pontual

Well the dipute was for POWERED FLIGHT (by that you understand by its own powerplant, not thrown by catapultas), not 3 axis flight. And 1903 isn't pretty clear, since there wasn't any videos neither a replication, in spite 2010 efforts. Not even a straight bump. Santos Dummont took off, unassisted, in 1906. by its own powerplant, not a catapult.

The Wrights 1903 flight was under its own power... the worlds first 3 axis controlled
powered flight was not assisted by a catapult and was indeed well documented in these
famous photos because the Wrights foresaw skeptics... So if they could get airborne in
1903 under 12HP then they would have no problem getting airborne 1908 with 40HP if they
choose wheels instead of a short track which was their solution of suitable and portable
launching ground to sell their invention... the Wrights didn't leave much to chance...
they thought of everything...

1903 No Cat track...
1903_Dec14_Preflight.jpg

Behold the dawn of aviation...
1903_First_Flight.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, thats a cool video. I'd ride that plane on that takeoff; looks fun.
Also, thats my town; and my workplace makes a show at 0:26. :p

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123

The 787 pressurizes to make it feel as though you are at a lower altitude. I think most jets have you at at 15,000 ft, and the 787 has you as though you are at about 10,000 ft. Also because of composites. They can run the cabin air with more humidity.

it's a good plane alright, but the difference in passenger comfort is minimal at best. i could not feel any difference on a transatlantic flight.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: oilboy123

The 787 pressurizes to make it feel as though you are at a lower altitude. I think most jets have you at at 15,000 ft, and the 787 has you as though you are at about 10,000 ft. Also because of composites. They can run the cabin air with more humidity.

it's a good plane alright, but the difference in passenger comfort is minimal at best. i could not feel any difference on a transatlantic flight.

Not disputing you but that has not been my experience at all. I fly the 787-9 back and forth between PVG-LAX all the time. It's a major difference for me, especially since I started doing my China trips on 747's. The biggest issue for me is the windows. While they are very cool in operation, if you have a window seat and its daylight out, it doesnt get nearly dark enough and you really feel the heat of the sun. But do I feel better when I land vs the 747 and even the 777?... big time difference for the better.

I've not flown the Dreamliner. Either as crew or passenger.

But the difference between 8,000' cabin altitude and 6,000' cabin altitude is substantial, particularly over a 14 hour flight. Spend some time in Denver, then go up to any of the towns in Summit County, Colorado.

You'll notice the difference much more when you're walking around than you will in an aircraft cabin.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I have, and being informed at 38,000ft and 1000 miles from water over Europe to "prepare for an emergency landing over water" [censored] terrifies my wife and the people in the cabin. Being left hanging for 10 minutes until a hostess informs us that someone pressed the wrong button on the flight deck by mistake is pretty bad too. We were knee deep by that time. Qatar airways by the way..

On the other hand, excepting the useless crew the aircraft was wonderful. (both times).

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

Well the dipute was for POWERED FLIGHT (by that you understand by its own powerplant, not thrown by catapultas), not 3 axis flight. And 1903 isn't pretty clear, since there wasn't any videos neither a replication, in spite 2010 efforts. Not even a straight bump. Santos Dummont took off, unassisted, in 1906. by its own powerplant, not a catapult.

The Wrights 1903 flight was under its own power... the worlds first 3 axis controlled
powered flight was not assisted by a catapult and was indeed well documented in these
famous photos because the Wrights foresaw skeptics... So if they could get airborne in
1903 under 12HP then they would have no problem getting airborne 1908 with 40HP if they
choose wheels instead of a short track which was their solution of suitable and portable
launching ground to sell their invention... the Wrights didn't leave much to chance...
they thought of everything...

1903 No Cat track...
1903_Dec14_Preflight.jpg

Behold the dawn of aviation...
1903_First_Flight.jpg

12hp, no catapults? Santa Klaus!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: c502cid
For any of you who are regulars out of SNA or Orange County John Wayne airport this is the standard take off on the 7am departure when the airport opens!
Noise?

Yes - it's for noise...but having flown the Orange County noise abatement departure, I can tell you that the pitch attitude for a 757 is about 25 degrees, nearly double the normal departure pitch attitude...

This demo was at least 45 degrees from the look of it...from some angles, it looks like 60...at least double the Orange County pitch...unless you like amusement park rides...you would not like the demo takeoff...

Interestingly, some engineering analysis has shown that modern stage 3 engines don't need the crazy departure angle to stay within decibel limits on the ground, so you may still see this on some older airplanes, but you won't see it on A-320s or 757s from United any more...

Not sure on the year (ex-Ted A320) but we sure did the noise abatement takeoff yesterday out of SNA.

12hp, no catapults? Santa Klaus!

True... 12hp no cats... pure genius!!! the Wrights calculated they need 90 lbs of thrust
from their propulsion system to lift from the dunes... but to their amazement they
actually recorded 130 lbs of thrust in a series of test... so they had thrust to burn
because their propellers converted 66% of the mechanical energy from the 12hp engine into
thrust... another first for the Wright brothers...

1903-Wright-Flyer-propeller.jpg

But the difference between 8,000' cabin altitude and 6,000' cabin altitude is substantial, particularly over a 14 hour flight. Spend some time in Denver, then go up to any of the towns in Summit County, Colorado.

You'll notice the difference much more when you're walking around than you will in an aircraft cabin.

Would you want to fly the 787 before you retire ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back