How much extra would you pay for 100% gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I make my own E0 by buying E10 premium, and washing the alcohol out of it. This is for my OPE. We don't have pure gas near me, except an hour away at marinas. Washing isn't all that difficult. I certainly wouldn't pay any more than a 20% premium for pure gas.

I've had problems in the past, where phase separation made a mess in the carburetor. I don't always remember to purge the fuel every season.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I would gladly pay $1 more for real gas over that swill they are passing off as gas.

Why? Modern cars seem to run very well on 10% ethanol.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Man I wish I had no probs with E10. The gas is terrible around me. Problems ALL the time. Its hard to find good gas.
No problems? I don't believe it.

BTW, E10 is oxygenated fuel.

What problems? I have seen only 1 issue with gas in my 35 years of driving.

Ethanol gives you less power. Just because it's not eating your fuel up doesn't mean it's harmless.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I would gladly pay $1 more for real gas over that swill they are passing off as gas.

If you were in my business you would know why. You reply to the other poster leads me to believe you don’t want an answer but an argument, i wont oblige you.

Google ethanol problems.

If you were in my business you would know why. You reply to the other poster leads me to believe you don’t want an answer but an argument, i wont oblige you.

Google ethanol problems.

Well some specifics might help. All I said was I have been driving for a very long time and never seen an ethanol issue yet. I did (or at least I think I did) in my Jetski though.

We've got a Sinclair station near me that sells 0% ethanol gas. It's about $.15/gallon higher than E10. I use it for my lawn equipment, such as the weed wackers and the lawn mowers. Does it help? I'm not completely sold on it, but a local guy who repairs only small engines swears by it. For $.15 higher, I'll use it on the small engines.

Originally Posted By: horse123
10% more, 30-40c gallon. Since that 10% of ethanol is worthless IMO.

Hogwash. There is an energetic value.

Some engines are rated a good deal higher on E85 than rug. Look at the new gm 4.3L.

My tractor is 40 years old.. runs MUCH better on e0... much much better.

I use about 5-10 gal a year in my chainsaw, leaf blower, snow blower,string trimmer and 21" lawn mower I trim with.

and about 20Gal in the tractor.

People pay 25$/gal for truefuel.. why not 4$/gal for E0?

Around here its an EPA SMOG area... so everything is E10, 93 is more likely to be e10 than 87 since ethanol is a cheap octane improver.

Last edited:
We should not have to pay more. The cost of growing corn, transporting it, heating it after fermentation, then transporting it to be mixed with fuel has to be more than fuel with out alcohol added.

Most cars burn through a tank in less than a month. Store E10 (let sit aka don't use) in OPE or a quad or dirt bike for more than 60 days and lemme know how well the carburetor performs on day 61.

I run E10 in my car because it don't sit. Other gasoline powered items DO sit hence preference for E0.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
We should not have to pay more. The cost of growing corn, transporting it, heating it after fermentation, then transporting it to be mixed with fuel has to be more than fuel with out alcohol added.

Ethanol is a traded commodity. It's price is currently traded at less than the price of gasoline.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Store E10 (let sit aka don't use) in OPE or a quad or dirt bike for more than 60 days and lemme know how well the carburetor performs on day 61.

I run E10 in my car because it don't sit. Other gasoline powered items DO sit hence preference for E0.

I use E10 in my show tractor that often sits for months at a time. I have never had a single issue starting it when I'm ready to take it to a tractor show.

I also use E10 in my snow plow tractor, that often sits from April to October, and when it's time to use it I've never had an issue with the fuel. The tractor that I keep the bush hog on also sits from around October to May, and always starts without a single issue when it's time to get to work.

My John Deere 757 mower sits from about November to April with E10 and has no issue whatsoever being started in the spring. I run about a tank of fuel each season (you guessed it, it is also E10) through my old John Deere 210. According to your statement it should have fuel related issues, but it doesn't. Even my DR trimmer sits from October to May, and always starts on the first or second pull, and (gasp!) it sits with E10 in it.

While I've never calculated which day is exactly "day 61", it's safe to assume that I've started some of them on day 61, as well as day 71, 81, 91, 201, and for a couple of them, day 361, all without a single issue. Every one of the engines that I've mentioned had carburetors. I didn't mention my chainsaw, rototiller, or pressure washer, all of which sit for almost a year at a time without any issues whatsoever.

Perhaps you'd like to "lemme know" why I don't have all the fuel related carburetor issues on day 61 that you claim I should have?

Here in Illinois we have had 10% for 15-20 years and I have never had a problem with it. I would not pay any extra for so called "PURE GAS". Since there is no such thing anyway.

Most cars burn through a tank in less than a month. Store E10 (let sit aka don't use) in OPE or a quad or dirt bike for more than 60 days and lemme know how well the carburetor performs on day 61.

Sitting for a couple of months is not an issue IF, you have a properly sealed tank, no air in or out. I have had cars sit for 8 months and never seen an issue. I also store my lawn mower gas over the winter and never had an issue. Now with a leaky tank, if high moisture air gets in, all bets are off.

I wouldn't pay a cent more for straight gas. I, along with millions, if not billions of gasoline consumers have no trouble with E10 fuel. Actually, here, up north, you'd be in trouble without the ethanol in the fuel during winter.

It's not the gas folks. It's the way it's stored that causes problems.

Get with the program.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Why did the EPA even approve the use of ethanol?

Campaign contributions to senators and congresspeople by big corn.

Google ethanol problems.

Well some specifics might help. All I said was I have been driving for a very long time and never seen an ethanol issue yet. I did (or at least I think I did) in my Jetski though.

I do lots of marine injectors that have corrosion issues, my cars sit a long time and have old school injectors, they have a high iron content. Good injectors but not really ethanol compatible. Many cars are in the same boat.
I burn 20 gallons a month at most so $20 more a month for the 5 or 6 months they drive is chump change to be free from ethanol poisoning.

I knew this thread was going to turn into a pi$$ing contest because like the farmer said when the cow died " it never did that before". So unless one has experienced the problems it doesn’t exist in their mind.

http://www.equipmentworld.com/e-10-alive...your-fuel-pump/

http://www.fuel-testers.com/list_e10_engine_damage.html

I put both of my quads away back in late October 2014 with fuel tanks approx. half filled with E10. Went to camp April 27th, primed the carbs several times, and both machines fired up easily and ran well. Let's see..... Five and a half months works out to over 160 days, stored in an unheated shed at sub-zero temps much of the time. Been doing it for over 30 year and it's the same every year.

Riding mower - same story.
Two outboards - same story.
Three chainsaws - ditto.
Three trimmers = as above.
Three push lawnmowers - same.
One leaf blower/vac - same.
One gas powered water pump - as above.

I also store up to fifteen gallons of gas all winter in sealed plastic containers. Never had a problem with that either. The only gasoline issues I've ever encountered is water in the fuel at time of purchase that immediately caused issues.

So either I'm doing something right or, all this E10 hysteria is just that, hysteria.

I personally believe that prolonged warm, humid conditions may lend to the possibility of E10 fuel issues, particularly if sloppy fuel management is involved. Otherwise, it's nowhere near as prevelant a problem as some make it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back