Picked up a 2015 Silverado with the Ecotec V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 5.3 in my 2014 Sierra and when I run E85 that thing turns into a rocket!

The new 4.3 V6 basically makes the same power as the original 5.3 V8 that was introduced in 1999.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: cb_13

Clear, yes. True, no. They paid it back with stock. Which has now been sold and the U.S. taxpayers took a loss of over 9 billion dollars. Possibly a good deal in the long run of saving all the jobs. I don't know as I'm not an expert in that field but it is not nearly as cut and dried as "they paid it all back already".
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/...-all-loans-it-/

That link is bad. It should be http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/...-all-loans-it-/ I did hear news reports that all the GM loans were paid back. (As well as the Wall Street theives paid theirs back too.)
Its news to me of the $10 billion shortfall from GM! Now I don't feel quite as bad knowing GM ripped the entire planet off. (So far, GM won't send me any apology letters or a check....)

Thanks for the corrected link!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
dwcopple,

Nice truck. Why not just buy it verses a lease?
1. I don't want a GM vehicle long term
2. Lease payment $245, Buy payment $565
3. I get sick of vehicles within 2 years and it will be time to change

Congratulations! I am thinking about purchasing a truck like this. Will you please let me know what kind of mpgs you are seeing? Thanks!

In the first 150 half were highway and it was over 25mpg that way. I'll post more as I add on some miles.

Sounds like a nice truck, but I don't get how you get special pricing for your father being a gm employee and especially for being a vet.

Regardless, a deal is a deal. Not sure how good of a deal a lease is on a per mile basis, but leasing isn't my thing anyway.

I wonder if this 4.3 would mount in my S-10.

Real nice truck. The prices of them scare the heck out of me. I can see why they constantly advertise lease deals on them. To keep pumping them out there.

Basic 4-5yr/old full sized 4x4s with ~60Kmiles still sell for $25K+ in my area.

Guys I work with finance these $45K trucks for $700/mo and trade them every 2yrs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK

Guys I work with finance these $45K trucks for $700/mo and trade them every 2yrs.
Same here. And that is why the lease is the smarter option. 1/4 to 1/2 the payment for the same vehicle and no hit like the guys you speak of are taking.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Clevy
How exactly are you a shareholder because if you are referring to the bailaoiut those shares were cashed in years ago,so that incredibly old worn out statement isn't accurate.

Probably as a US taxpayer.

Clevy is referring to GM paying back their GM loans, similar to what Chrysler did in the 1980s, paid it all back. Everybody else got screwed.

No. The Government was still owed 10 Billion dollars.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Sounds like a nice truck, but I don't get how you get special pricing for your father being a gm employee and especially for being a vet.

Regardless, a deal is a deal. Not sure how good of a deal a lease is on a per mile basis, but leasing isn't my thing anyway.

I wonder if this 4.3 would mount in my S-10.

GM "A buyer" pricing was negotiated by the UAW many moons ago for children of GM employee's and retirees. I am surprised to hear this survived into the "new" GM.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple

Same here. And that is why the lease is the smarter option. 1/4 to 1/2 the payment for the same vehicle and no hit like the guys you speak of are taking.

You do realize that market depreaciation, as well as a high interest rate on the full principal is computed into the lease rate, right?

That sure is a nice pickup.

I also admire the generosity of folks who choose to make lease payments. Not only does it help stimulate the economy, but it helps put money in the pockets of the staff at the dealership and the lessor. There aren't a lot of folks who are that generous, knowing they can't afford it, but still choose to reach out and help others like that. Once you're done renting you'll help stimulate the secondary market by turning it in and walking away so the folks at the dealership profit once again and someone else gets a great deal on a slightly used vehicle.

Not to mention all the accolades and jealous looks from people who think you actually own it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: dwcopple

You do realize that market depreaciation, as well as a high interest rate on the full principal is computed into the lease rate, right?

But assuming he didn't put down a lot money up front, $245/month is pretty cheap! You would have too keep many vehicles for 10+ years to get the monthly depreciation down to that.
Maybe there is more room for finance tricks as well, as the MSRP is probably $15-20k more than it cost GM to build the truck. And maybe GM gets to depreciate the truck as an asset? Plus GM gets back a low mileage practically new truck that they sell again to the dealer for their manufacturing cost? Anyways, I'm just speculating, but I'm sure GM is making money somehow on it.

Trucks are holding their value like crazy these days. Used are selling for almost new prices, especially with the crazy high discounts they are offering on new truck purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back