M1 0w20, 7775 miles, 2006 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Here are the latest results from my 2006 Civic, analysis done by Wearcheck Canada:

7,775 miles on oil
Apr 13, 2014 to June 14, 2105 (14 months)
117,825 miles on engine
Mobil 1 0w20
Fram Ultra oil filter
4.0L oil capacity
350ml make up oil
MM was at 0%

Iron 7.7
Lead 0
Aluminum 3.9
Copper 0.7
Chromium 0.9
Nickel 0.1
Titanium 0.1
Tin 0.1
Silver 0

Silicon 17
Potassium 0.7
Sodium 10

Moly 74
Boron 35
Barium 0
Calcium 1075
Magnesium 712

Manganese 0.3
Antimony 0.8
Vanadium 0.2
Beryllium 0
Cadmium 0
Lithium 0.1
Sulfur 1697
ZDDP 15.2

Phosphorus 606
Zinc 660

Oxidation 68%
Nitration 72%
Sulfation 59%

Soot 0
Glycol 0
Water 0
Fuel 0

Viscosity at 40c 38.1
Viscosity at 100c 6.9
VI 142

This is the longest I have gone between changes with this car and I was very impressed with the low numbers. The engine is consuming a bit more oil than it did previously, but not an alarming amount (it was down 0.75L at the end, and since I added 350ml that means it consumed a total of 1.1L this interval but that's not too bad for almost 8000 miles if you ask me)

I put in more M1 0w20 and another Fram Ultra filter, as it is working well so why deviate? I'm going to continue waiting for the maintenance minder to count down completely to zero before changing the oil. At the rate I drive now it will most likely always end up being just over one year's time.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Your oxidation, nitration and sulfation #s - hopefully you're missing a decimal point in there somewhere...

I'm not too worried about those, the wear numbers look good, so I can't be doing any harm here.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

You don't want to try Fram Ultra(XG7317 ?) for 2 OCI's ?

No thanks.

I really don't see the point of leaving it on there for two intervals.

For consumption, you could try the M1 5w-20 High Mileage oil.

I use the M1 5w-30 HM in a 2002 ES300. It uses .75qts in a 7,500 OCI, and the car has 240k miles on it. Quite pleased. I am going to switch my truck to the M1 10w-40 HM at the next oci.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Nice report.
Any info on the TBN ?
Percentage of Hwy vs City ?

No TBN, I just get the MOB 1 kits from Wearcheck, so I haven't had TBN for a few years on my UOAs.

As far as highway vs city, I'd say it's probably 70% highway. I also drive pretty gentle, I rarely go above 2500rpm and rarely go full throttle. This car is my fuel saver, I've got the Corvette for when I feel the need for speed
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Patman - Good one - and great to know that you're still around BITOG

Thanks Doug! I don't post as much as I used to, but I'm always lurking in the shadows here!
smile.gif

I'm glad you are still around, you have provided BITOG with tons of great information over the years!
cheers3.gif

Without a TBN it's hard to say definitively IMO, but it seems to have done well. Viscosity hasn't dropped enough but is starting to thin a bit at the 100c test.

Since it's on the low side with miles driven per month it's important whatever service it gets is good for the oil. So, the 70% highway use is probably helping out a lot. TBN is probably fine at this mileage, but would likely take more of a hit and perhaps wear metals increase 'some' at the least if this vehicle started short-tripping, especially in the winter with similar OCIs.

Maybe run it hard once in a while for a good Italian tune-up?
thumbsup2.gif

Otherwise, nice report and thanks for posting.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: double vanos
Your oxidation, nitration and sulfation #s - hopefully you're missing a decimal point in there somewhere...

I'm not too worried about those, the wear numbers look good, so I can't be doing any harm here.

Then you are looking at the numbers wrong. Oxidation, nitration and sulfation are the numbers that tell you the condition of the oil, not the wear numbers.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Here are the latest results from my 2006 Civic, analysis done by Wearcheck Canada:

Hi,

Are you happy with this company (customer service, delay of analysis, way of reporting)?

I am out of prepaid kits from Amsoil and since I am not a preferred member anymore, I try to find another lab.

Would you recommend it?

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: Pesca

Are you happy with this company (customer service, delay of analysis, way of reporting)?

I am out of prepaid kits from Amsoil and since I am not a preferred member anymore, I try to find another lab.

Would you recommend it?

I would definitely recommend them! I've used them for over ten years now and they are fantastic! Turnaround time is excellent! I dropped off my sample at the lab on Monday at 10am (I work five minutes away from the lab) and I got the results online before 10am Tuesday! You can't get much better than that!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Stewie
How much did you pay for the test?

About 4 or 5 years ago I bought a box of 12 kits, and it worked out to about $20 per UOA at that time. I only have one left, so I will need to buy more this year and I expect it to be probably $25 per kit this time around, maybe even $30. But that's still reasonable to me, especially since I go a year or longer on oil changes on all of my vehicles, so I don't use up these kits as fast as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back