Bought a New old Suburban

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll be well off if only you can survive the social stigma of not having a brand new Suburban with payments that destroy your budget. Owning something that you can afford is its own reward.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You'll be well off if only you can survive the social stigma of not having a brand new Suburban with payments that destroy your budget. Owning something that you can afford is its own reward.

Lol thanks i just love this body style of burban. the next gen was ok. Yes the new ones are ncie but they just got too plasticy and complex. These are nice and cheap to take car off. I actually have one new car payment. I do not need a second.
my cars are
2013 Taurus SHO
1999 GMC K1500 Suburban
1977 Dodge W150 P/U with 360

Good luck with your new Suburban. Looks good. They are thirsty beasts.

Last edited:
We had one several years ago, also a 99, the 350 is a great engine, and gas mileage was pretty good. Ours had lots of electrical gremlins that led us to trade it in. I sure did like the ride and handling for a big vehicle.

Wow that's a nice one, lots of miles but it should have plenty of life left.

Make sure the intake manifold gasket has been done or keep an eye on it.

It will be very thirsty, don't expect better than 16 highway, maybe 16.5. Closer to 12 in town.

Thanks everyone i think i found a nice little gem New front brake rotors and pads are first thing. the static cling sticker says the oil was changed 5/5/15. So that is good for a few. Want to flush the coolant and brake fluid. Fuel pump has its wine. So we will see how long it lasts. Gonna hit up the junk yard for a few pieces. Drivers door handle surround is cracked. and The main dash piece has a couple retainer clips missing. So if i can find some pull and save parts ill be golden.
I think they get good gas mileage considering the size and 4spd trans of the time, But fuel was never a concern. Ill use it or my old p/u to get back and forth to work and that is like 8 blocks. Then the random weekend fishing or trip to home depot. And having this will let me get to park the P/u and finally tear apart the front end and rebuilt it.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Looks clean. Enjoy!

Good Luck !!

happy2.gif
banana2.gif

The fuel pump whine is normal, they all do that. I had a 96' Silverado with the 5.7L, wish I never sold it.

Given the probable failure rate of these fuel pumps (assuming OEM or Delphi) it's on it's second fuel pump or has been changed once and is about to fail.

Awesome score and [censored] nice truck man. I love the GMT-400 platform body styles but the engine makes the truck feel badly dated, despite GM trying to modernize a 30 year old engine.

Very nice. You stole it for $2k, especially since it has 4WD. My 92 Suburban still runs great, but doesn't get out much. I'm changing the oil now once every 5 years and it doesn't mind. Good solid old trucks, very handy when needed.

My mechanic has a '97, with 330k on it, and will deliver 19mpg on long hwy runs.... i.e from Minneapolis to Northern MN, or to his in-laws in Milwaukee.

Originally Posted By: panther427
Thanks everyone i think i found a nice little gem New front brake rotors and pads are first thing. the static cling sticker says the oil was changed 5/5/15. So that is good for a few. Want to flush the coolant and brake fluid. Fuel pump has its wine. So we will see how long it lasts. Gonna hit up the junk yard for a few pieces. Drivers door handle surround is cracked. and The main dash piece has a couple retainer clips missing. So if i can find some pull and save parts ill be golden.
I think they get good gas mileage considering the size and 4spd trans of the time, But fuel was never a concern. Ill use it or my old p/u to get back and forth to work and that is like 8 blocks. Then the random weekend fishing or trip to home depot. And having this will let me get to park the P/u and finally tear apart the front end and rebuilt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back