Question about atv oil. CVT Trans and jaso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My owners manual lists 10w30,10w50,20w50 with a temperature graph. However I went with rotella t6 because it has the jaso ma certification like all the other atv oils I see and was cheaper. I got to looking and my owners manual doesn't mention jaso ma. It only mentions non-energy conserving and api sj.

My kymco 700 has a cvt Trans. The t6 says energy saving on it. Do I need to swap it for some regular old 10w30/40.

Any suggestions on brand? Pyb? Vwb?

I'm about to swap it just to ease my mind. No issues at the moment but I'm not gonna wait for them.

Last edited:
Rotella T might be a better choice; its JASO rated and used by many bikers with good results. Being 15-40, it might hold up better for you especially during the summer. The T6 would be good for winter. Just my opinion.

I'm thinking along those lines.

Are you saying t5 the blend?

I don't think I need the jaso though right? For cvt?

Edit: nevermind. I clicked wrong like because shell website is poor. Just the t like you said.

Last edited:
Walmart had some valvoline 10w40 full synthetic motorcycle oil on sale cheap. I'm gonna try that.

You do not need any special oil for a CVT. If you are getting oil to your CVT you have big problems.

A CVT is a rubber belt ran between the drive clutch(which is mounted externally on the crank end), to a driven clutch(which is mounted externally to the input shaft of the transmission).

A CVT should have no liquid on it anywhere. Therefore use whatever oil you feel is best for your engine.

It says it's a shared sump though. An email from customer support said to use oil designed for wet clutches. I specifically asked about jaso and they didn't mention it.

Shared with what? The transmission? Or the transmission, transfer case and rear diff, all share oil?

Ok, I just looked it up. You have a centrifugal clutch before the cvt. The centrifugal clutch operates the cvt. So, now knowing that, I agree with a wet clutch oil. Though, your actual CVT sees no oil whatsoever. Just the centrifugal clutch does.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
The front and rear different are totally separate. Maybe this will help.

http://imgur.com/a/UFfRn

Yes I get that. On some utv the trans, transfer case and rear diff share oil. But the front diff is always out on its own.

The wet clutch oil is for the centrifugal clutch. Some utvs have them, and some don't. Most made in North America dont.

Nowhere in the manual does it list a separate Trans fluid. So I'm assuming shared. Has to be.

The t6 has the Starburst for energy conserving.

I'm hearing some noises from the trans on my bike I haven't heard before and can only be some slight slippage. It only happens when really giving it the gas then letting off then getting on it again.

As far as low rpm putting around everything feels nice and smooth.

Did do this before the change. So, I'm gonna swap it out to rule out the t6 as the cause.

I'm hoping it is and it's not mechanical.

Otherwise it's great. Motor feels much smoother and it doesn't always make the sound. Ive put at least 3 hours riding on it since the change and have only heard it twice.

I haven't ruled out the noise always being there and I'm only noticing because I changed the oil. So there's that.

Ok? It also lists increased fuel economy over Rotella T. So it could have some friction modifiers in there. Perhaps not enough to get the Starburst but maybe enough to be causing the cvt in my bike to slip.

Although what I have experienced is only very minor.

One of the reasons I chose to go with t6 in the first place is because $10 a quart atv oil is ridiculous for a sticker to give you a warm fuzzy.

I'd I can use pyb, vwb, or a hdeo like rotella then I will.

It's cheap enough to swap compared to replacing components. I'll be swapping it out tomorrow. I'm sure it's worked great for others but not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back