Homelite curved arm string trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced the boom/shaft on an older Homelite string trimmer with a factory replacement, sadly I didnt find the local parts/service dealer on the Internet first. Part number is 000998229

After running it for about an hour the bearing end got very hot. A week later I removed the string assembly etc, and even with nothing loading it down, it got quite hot after less then a couple minutes of running.

Was I suppose to lube/oil/??? it before use ? I could find nothing on the Internet other then just take-apart-lube the cable- put back together.

If there's no orifice or fitting to service the bearing, how is to be lubed? Many small bearings are pre-packed with grease and sealed. I would hazard to guess that would be the case with the subject bearing. If the bearing is removable, pull it and inspect it for signs of disclouration from heating. Also check if for smoothness of operations. If you have trouble with either, take it to a bearing supply outlet (Timken, SKS etc.) to see if they have a match. If so, a couple bucks for a good bearing might be all that's needed to fix your problem.

Sadly the aluminum tube looks like it has been crimped. I have the old boom/bearing, I'm going to see what I can do about getting the bearing out. and seeing if one could replace it.

I was going to buy a Stihl but the reviews pretty much say unless you go for the models over $300 the lower cost ones have become just as much junk.

May I highly recommend?

http://www.redmax.com/products/trimmers/tr2350s/

This is an actual RedMax and not a Husqvarna rebadge. This one is going to put my old Homelite on backup/loaner duty. It's about the smoothest running and the lowest vibration trimmer I've ever handled in the sub $300 bracket. Just make sure the dealer tunes it if you can't. The ones I tested were lean with mild hesitation, but had a lot of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back