Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the kind words, GM and Pab. I confess to being a TA but not necessarily a good one.
grin.gif
My swing trading analysis is not as precise as Amkeer's day trading. I also try to temper the charts with fundamental analysis, thereby getting (hopefully) a handle on the market.

I don't really see the S&P dropping to 880, either. As you say Pablo, a 10% correction can happen anytime. I've noticed that there's usually a pull-back at the first of a new year. (There's more time to enjoy profits before taxes are due on them). Same thing after April 15, when money slows going into retirement accounts......

I see the markey opened up. Maybe we'll all make a couple bucks today.....
cheers.gif

Z - Lu down? Reasons, in no particular order:

1) It's a pretty crappy company and a speculative pick.
2) The fundamentals and chart tell the story.
3) I just bought x000 shares (main reason)
rolleyes.gif

cheers.gif

I remember seeing a brokerage downgrade on LU recently. It surprised me, because I thought things were looking up for Lucent. (Might have been simply because of price appreciation???)

The company looks for higher sales in 05, so it's probably a good speculative pick.....

quote:

Originally posted by TheLoneRanger:
I remember seeing a brokerage downgrade on LU recently. It surprised me, because I thought things were looking up for Lucent. (Might have been simply because of price appreciation???)

The company looks for higher sales in 05, so it's probably a good speculative pick.....

Exactly my thoughts!

I hope LU rebounds.

So did any of you at least watch my Monday picks?

I already cashed some greedpig profits on:

TONS
BXG
DHB
RMBS

Also sold F and VLTR for decent gains.

Here's an interesting play. A closed end fund selling at a healthy discount to the NAV

GCS
Closed at 13.44
NAV = 14.81

All the fundamentals look terrible, but the value is there as a hedge.

EXM may be forming a base. Sell off on light volume. This stock can be highly volatile.

STM may present some buying oppportunities coming up.

A couple high yield opened ended bond funds are:

LBF and EHI - I have owned these since bonds got done tanking in early summer or so. Both yield around 8%, but they trade at a healthy discount to NAV.

What's up for next week? My plan only pops every 3rd tuesday. Have not bought in a while. Sold all my XM and Comcast. Thinking to buy Martha Stewart or Symantec or Merck. Willing to take a chance, but really I want another nice stock that went up steady like Rockwell. Ideas?
dunno.gif

I can't earnestly recommend individual stocks and not feel guilty if the stock plunges.

You can scan through my mentionables in this thread.

F and particularly FCZ may be worth a look. I just sold some of my F on an uptick the other day. FCZ is Ford preferred paying a nice dividend.

quote:

What's up for next week?

Not much, AJ, if history is any indication. The week of Christmas is pretty slow. Also the week between Christmas and New Years Day. The next big pop or drop will be the first week of the new year.

Do you still own ROK? I've been watching it, but so far haven't found an entry point.

I have some ROK. Buying more of one that I already own is better come sales time. Comcast has been good to me. Symantec is looking like one pick, Martha Stewart another and maybe one more. I had some Delphi before, forget what happened. They have some good technology.
I am in for the long-long term, just lil amounts rather than a savings acct. My mom worked for Bell and ATT for years while collecting their stocks, she took a hard hit a few years ago by not being diversified. I am not too worried about loosing everything like she did, it's not my pension $ or anything. We will see, tuesday is the day! ps sorry about XOM, guys.

What's to be sorry about with XOM?

Have you checked out FCZ?

Now here is my latest skanky investment idea. Well actually I've been puking it out for a while.

I swear to budha SOME closed end funds are just too darn good to pass up. Discounts of 10-15% on GOOD funds holding GREAT companies and GREAT ASSETS. Some pay NICE yields spun out regularly. Sure there are risks. Please check it out. MS, Amkeer, LR. etc.......am I whacked????

CLOSED END FUNDS - do they make sense?

edit - fixed typos

[ December 18, 2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Pabs,

I am burnt out! Between the kids, holidays and grouchy customers, I need a break! My brain isn't fuctioning at the moment!
dunno.gif

Amkeer - I can relate - Christmas fest every night - kids out of school = I have to work up until the 24th - our 19th wedding anivesery is the 21st.....shikes!!

At least I started my Christmas shopping today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back